PDA

View Full Version : BT Broadband/Sky-BT Broadband

Navy_Adversary
3rd Dec 2002, 17:56
I currently pay £15.99 per month for BT Openworld anytime, which I am satisfied with , however I am looking at going on to broadband.
BT Openworld broadband is £150.00 to set up plus £29.99 per month.
Sky/BT Broadband is about £60.00 to set up and £27.00 per month, which saves about £100.00 in the first year.
Although both are BT broadband apparently they have 2 different ISPs, is the Sky service not so good, can anyone give any tips?
TIA

fobotcso
3rd Dec 2002, 20:37
Good timing, Navy_A; I'm in the middle of making the changeover myself.

I offer you some of my thinking processes as I went through the options.

Think of the capital costs as a write-off, not as part of the costs/benefit ratio. Like a new suit that helps you to "pull" or a new set of tyres on the car. Running costs are what matters.

Avoid BT.com/Broadband. They are not the same as BTOpenworld/Broadband. Value for money is less.

Although your running costs for BT Broadband with Openworld are slightly higher than Highway/Openworld the cost/benefit is very favourable for the faster speeds and greater bandwidth.

If you stay with Openworld, you keep your existing e-mail addresses and your Web Pages.

I like to deal with companies with the word "British" in them.

I'm good at rationalising to get the result I wanted to start with.

:D

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
3rd Dec 2002, 20:59
Checkout http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

idgas
3rd Dec 2002, 21:33
Have a look at:

Force9 (http://www.force9.net)

I've been using them for quite some time with no problems.

Cheers, :cool:

Navy_Adversary
3rd Dec 2002, 22:03
Many thanks for the replies, yesterday I checked out the ADSLguide, also there is ISPreview.co.uk which is very similar.

fobotcso
I rang BT Openworld up yesterday and the CS guy said more or less what you did, now I have had confirmation I may also go for this package.
I know BT are not everyones cup of tea, but in the time that I have been a customer I have no complaints with Openworld.

Also I have had an e-mail from Air Miles/BT Broadband, but I imagine this is the same sort of deal as the Sky one.

Lost_luggage34
3rd Dec 2002, 23:10
Also worth looking at the self-installation option with BT Openworld as this will reduce the initial outlay.

I believe you can now also purchase your own ADSL modem vs. using the unreliable Alcatel Frog which they supply. I ditched my Alcatel box after 12 months of tearing hair out. Not had one failed connection or problem in the past 6 months.

It is not technically difficult to self-install.

www.btopenwoe.co.uk may be worth a visit - some good advice if you dig around on the forums.

longarm
4th Dec 2002, 10:14
I've just signed up to Nildram broadband. £29.99 a month and they've consistantly been at the top of adslguides's speed table. Brilliant service so far and a connection of around 570kbs so far. Contract is also for three months rather than 1 yr.

AMEX
7th Dec 2002, 21:19
You have to be in a "served" area but Ntl is pretty good.
£25 to set up and 24.99 a months to get 600K (they have recently upgraded from 512K).

Looked at BT but the set up cost mentioned above put me right off. The only thing against Ntl was the wait before I could get a line (I went for broadband+landline+cable TV package) which could have been very long.
Turned out to be a few days and because I had booked the BT man to come over (who can only come week days, 9 to 5 :rolleyes: ), it is with pleasure that I rung their customer services to cancel.