PDA

View Full Version : FAA Conversion

gramps
3rd Dec 2002, 16:26
Hello,

Can anyone advise on the procedure to convert my Australian Commercial Pilots licence with command Instrument rating to an FAA one.
I already have a pass in all Aussie ATPL subjects - would I have to do them again to gain an FAA licence?
Can anyone recommend a place (preferably the Southern States) to do this?

Thanks all,

Gramps

flyswat
11th Dec 2002, 02:50
I aswell would appreciate any light on this subject.
I have an Australian ATPL and am interested in converting to a U.S commercial. What is the process for this can anyone help? I have heard that it is no longer as simple as it used to be.:confused:

Ignition Override
11th Dec 2002, 05:57
Just an idea or two.

You might want to invest in some very long-distance phone calls, unless you can track down some sort of appropiate FAA websites. I found the number for the (FAA) "Memphis Airports District Office": (area code 901) 544-3495. They might be able to send you on a path to the right bureaucrats somewhere, and hopefully not in a continuous loop. Remember, the FAA is under the Dept. of Transportation, DOT, and is a gigantic, out-of-control bureaucracy.

Also, you might try the FAA in Oklahoma City, OK: area code is 405. That is where most of their pilot license/medical 'business' seems to be based. Be careful and get a second opinion, if I were you, unless you reach someone who is familiar and experienced with the conversion process for Australia.

One of our (US) pilots flew 747s in Taiwan, and a few years ago claimed that the Los Angeles, CA, FAA FSDO (FAA office) would not convert his rating on the EVA 747 to the US rating, but they would allow an Aussie to convert! That office might be familiar. And it sounded like it must be a very mysterious business, and thick with bureaucratic 'red tape', as we call it. Hope y'all have or can find a decent flying job in the troubled world of civilian flying, whether in the US or anywhere else.

Good luck over there!

countbat
12th Dec 2002, 03:48
If you have an ICAO license it can be converted with a private license in US(leisure flying). However all your flying time is accepted. For an ATP - MEL if I remember well you need a total of 1500 hrs and (or including) I do not remember exactly a number of multi. For Commercial license the total time is less.
Based on your ICAO license plus you flying time qualifies you for the rights of getting an US license. All you have to do is get your written and your practical test with a FAA rep.on your own(the cheapest way) or to go to any flying school and buy a program including the tests. Good Luck. I do not know anything about immigration rules

druglord
14th Dec 2002, 17:09
Gramps and friends,
I did what you propose to do last year. First of all your ATPL subjects are of no use over here. you'll have to sit the US ATP exam which is relatively easy as you've probably heard. Easier than the Aussie commercial written. If you have 1500 hours TT 100 night and 75 instrument you can convert to a US ATP after taking the written and a flight test. If you don't have these you'll have to get a single engine commercial AND a multi engine commercial with instrument rating test also. This is the way i did it and it's long expensive and lots of tests. The conversion to a private is good for nothing other than leisure flying. For immigration you'll obviously need a green card which is hard to get. Otherwise a J-1 visa will let you work temporarily, but you probably can't get anything better than flight instructing off this. Best of luck let me know if you need more info.

Ozgrade3
15th Dec 2002, 08:15
Does doing the ATP give you commercial privalages as well. In that does doing the ATP remove the need to do the sommercial, SE and ME flight tests and writens.

druglord
18th Dec 2002, 02:51
It'll give you multi but not single engine...figure that one out!

weasil
20th Dec 2002, 15:46
Hi,

The FAA WILL issue a private license to you with NO tests so long as your CASA license remains valid and you carry it with you at all times. You go to an FAA office (called a FSDO - flight standards district office) and fill out a form called an 8710- application for airman certificate (you can download this form from faa.gov )
and they hand you your certificate on the spot.
:)

HOWEVER

In order to do this after July of this year you must PRE-CERTIFY. This means fill out a form entitled

"VERIFICATION OF AUTHENTICITY OF FOREIGN LICENSE"

(I can fax you a copy)
prior to applying for the license, the FAA will then verify your CASA license which takes some time, and then you will be permitted to apply as above (8710).

You would want to do this by mail/fax prior to arrival in the USA, as it can take some time.
:(

SECONDLY
You CAN apply for a US ATP so long as you have 1500hrs (along with other requirements - see earlier post) and you hold a valid ICAO (CASA) Commercial License. This means taking the ATP checkride in the USA. You CAN do this in a single engine aircraft or a multi engine aircraft, however privileges for one do not entitle you to fly the other.

HOWEVER
If you do not have the required flight time you may apply for a USA Commercial on the basis of the US private issued as above, so long as you pass the written test, comply with the minimum training requirements and pass the flight test, this is an expensive process for someone converting $AUD into $USD

If you want more information please email me at [email protected]

Weasil

MLS-12D
20th Dec 2002, 19:04
Gramps / flyswat: you might want to check out the article "Goodbye CAA PPL/IR", at www.pplir.org/journals/old/NETWORK%20No.%2026.pdf (pages 11-15).