PDA

View Full Version : New gaffer @ AFX?

Fr8t M8te
3rd Dec 2002, 10:15
A whisper on the ramp that there is a new CEO at AFX that may just know something about aircraft operations!!!;)

VIKING9
3rd Dec 2002, 11:08
Is Mr Orringe still with them ?

HZ123
5th Dec 2002, 07:44
As a resident at LHR it is interesting to speculate as to what AFX are doing. Having already got two 74's static it appears that the ex Korean is parked and has been so for the last couple of weeks. Parking fees must be enormous so how if they ever restart ops can they make a profit, especially from LHR when you are competing against a massive daily market.

Ernst Blofeld's Cat
5th Dec 2002, 19:39
For the Record AFX only have two Aircraft, Both at LHR. The Aircraft at Manston although in AFX colours is not with the airline any more. It was returned earlier this year.

:p

Jes
6th Dec 2002, 15:47
Just checked G-INFO, and G-GAFX has this owner listed:

AIRFREIGHT EXPRESS LTD
BENEDICT MACKENZIE, 3-6 THE COURTYARD
EAST PARK
CRAWLEY
RH10 6AG
UNITED KINGDOM

What is happening to it?

12th Dec 2002, 15:08
The new? Korean has taken up the position of the AFX74 that has I assumed departed, as an LHR watcher from across the road. what is the latest because hire costs and parking fees are the only items earning revenue.

raitfaiter
12th Dec 2002, 17:43
Could it be........wait for it.......Da Guvnah?:D :D :D

palmtree
12th Dec 2002, 21:30
Could be

de nu guv is a bit of a mystery but....................

rumour has it in the ops department that 8 L1011's are going to replace the 747's and there is a Belfast arriving at Heathrow tomorrow.......could there be a connection...........anyone know more????????????

VIKING9
13th Dec 2002, 09:07
There is an Ops departmnent ??? Who's in charge then? I assume Mr Bowles is still present?

major1
13th Dec 2002, 19:00
There was word that Caribjet who have a bunch of L1011F were going to subcontract out for a UK based operation. But Manston was mentioned as a base and their L1011F freighters have been seen there???

"Dont think the GUV was behind it"

rumour has it in the ops department that 8 L1011's are going to replace the 747's and there is a Belfast arriving at Heathrow tomorrow.......could there be a connection...........anyone know more????????????

VP8
14th Dec 2002, 10:20
Last I heard the Belslow was in bits at PIK being renovated and the Guv has no dealings init what ever he may say to the contrary ;) .

Any news on when due LHR then??

VEEPS

HZ123
14th Dec 2002, 10:39
Are some of these rumours coming out of Xmas crackers. Surely if AFX has trouble running / filling two 74's how on earth are they going to fill up 8 1011's. I did ask the other day what is happening with the Korean 74 which has now taken up the same position as the departed AFX liveried freighter.

VIKING9
16th Dec 2002, 08:11
Who is now in charge of Ground Ops and is Mr Bowles still active with AFX ?

palmtree
16th Dec 2002, 20:09
:mad: :rolleyes: :cool: :D

Who is Viking9 - is it the GOV again?

Anyone know more?

Seems he knows a little too much about AFX - names etc are you a 5th column? or an EX employee? hasnt been doing much though - 4-5 posts a week on average for 2 years. Anything nice to say about anything?

:eek: :D :mad:

VIKING9
16th Dec 2002, 20:50
Unlike others on Pprune, I spend my time doing other things. And, like others, I'm interested to see what happens at AFX. I am not an ex employee, but, I do know who was working there up until recently. The potential for AFX is great, but only with the right people at the helm. That's why I enquire as I do :o

Jes
17th Dec 2002, 07:32
AFX 747 G-INTL was on the freight apron (i.e. active) at Manston 16th Dec

DC8 loadie
17th Dec 2002, 19:40
The appearance of AFX B747 at Manston wouldnt be anything to do with MK ?
rumour on airliners.net is that MK have bought G-intl.???
any hot poop ??:confused:

justforfun
17th Dec 2002, 23:08
DC8 Loadie

Sorry, but airliners.net are wrong - nothing to do with MK at all... or the one at LHR for that matter - just in case that rumour springs up also!! :D

Kegbuster
18th Dec 2002, 12:45
AFX management have been spotted in the bar at the airport hotel HKG.

acmi48
18th Dec 2002, 14:30
apparently g-intl flying for MAS cargo due into ELLX on adhoc flight 20dec- the korean one went to MK..

VIKING9
19th Dec 2002, 06:42
justforfun I sent you a PM, can you drop me a line ?

BRISTOLRE
19th Dec 2002, 13:26
Please, has anyone the exact/latest info on the AFX fleet?

1) G-INTL was it active or ijust in for Mx during the reports from MSE?

2) N285SW / VP-??? the ex-Korean lump, is that still AFX owned
or sold to MK??

Any accurate info obliged, thanks.

justforfun
19th Dec 2002, 21:37
Hmmm... the plot thickens! Where will it all lead I wonder?!! :rolleyes:

VIKING9 - check your inbox...

Flight Detent
22nd Dec 2002, 07:32
AFX B747 (needs a good wash) I just pulled into Kuala Lumpur yesterday, (Sat 21), to find the AFX liveried freighter parked there!

Sorry, didn't think to notice the registration, except that it was 'G' reg.

It's now been leased by Air Atlanta, to do it's Tokyo run, which it can't do with it's own 'TF' registered aircraft, due to landing rights, I think!

Come to think of it - it could have been G-INTL!

Cheers

Grimweasel
23rd Dec 2002, 13:21
All I can say is Bloody good luck to AFX this time round. Lets hope that Phillip and co can really get things going this time.
The market is there and Phil must know what he's doing otherwise he would not have spent so much of his cash getting it going again.

There will be plenty here who scoff at their recovery, namley ex disgruntled employees. Give the company a break and a few years and lets see where the sky leads them.

Good luck to all !!

CR2
23rd Dec 2002, 14:29
Yup, but hope they fixed the loading system on G-INTL. Last time when it was flying for CLX, damned thing was a wreck. Loading delays were the norm since:
-Inoperative pdus & damaged/broken locks.
-Weird system where the Loadmaster would fax a list of pallets to London, get them to fix up a loadsheet (without having seen the load), get it faxed back, then start telling the handling co what to do!!! Time is money, and thats a vast waste of time. No suprises when this or that pallet didn't fit due to an overhang or some detail.

Paladini
26th Dec 2002, 14:04
Yep, G-INTL is at KUL.... Yep, supposed to be handling NRT run ex-KUL for Air Atlanta on the MAS Kargo
contract.

A truly amusing story about how she was removed from LHR confinement by assymetric fuel loading. Any more details from those who were actually there about how they REALLY did it?

Best of Luck AFX, you guys deserve some!

Hobo
30th Dec 2002, 04:43
Is the lease to Atlanta Wet or Dry? Not much info coming down here to EGHH and if any -200 guys are considering making a move, if AFX has got of the ground with their own crews, other options are presenting! Good luck to all at AFX and well done if it's a wet lease - airborn at last!!

justforfun
30th Dec 2002, 13:45
.... Hobo, you're right, it's wet! and yes the a/c is in KUL... nice to see some positive posts!! :D

Flight Detent
1st Jan 2003, 05:38
Hi all,
I understand that AAI got egg on there face very recently, with G-INTL.
Got the thing loaded up with freight, on it's first revenue outing, and the loadmaster had to have quite a bit of it unloaded, somebody forgot to check if G-INTL had a dangerous cargo certification, - it hasn't!!!
Now it's back on the ground at KUL, doing not much!!!

Cheers

CR2
1st Jan 2003, 11:01
INTL had DG certification when it flew for us.... Must be AFX's DG that has expired.

justforfun
1st Jan 2003, 15:59
"quite a bit of it unloaded" - 3 pallets refused - not loaded in the first place, therefore not "unloaded"... not exactly newsworthy is it?! - wasn't the "first revenue outing either" :rolleyes:

It amazes me in this industry how people seem to revel in any carrier having problems - Ok, AFX history is not too great, but at least they're giving it a go...
They're still the only B747 freight operator in the UK, yet I'm sure any problem they have will show up on this forum at some stage -regardless of how small it is... and then of course it'll get blown out of proportion and full of inaccuracies - bit like, "the korean one went to MK" or the L1011's!

Still, I suppose this is a "rumour network" after all... just wonder where some people get their info from...

Anyway, rant over now - Happy New Year to you all and good luck for 2003!!!!!

:)

Cheers!

CR2
1st Jan 2003, 20:30
That's more like it jff, thought it a bit strange that an -F aircraft would not be allowed to carry DG.

VIKING9
3rd Jan 2003, 08:06
So, who is the new Gaffer at AFX. I don't think this question has been answered. Are they still recruiting in Ops ?

Fr8t M8te
3rd Jan 2003, 11:19
You beat me to it Viking!

One month on since original post and the thread has been everywhere!:D

The new DFO must be Captain Figment....