PDA

View Full Version : ADF- Pilot Tests

KAOS
3rd Dec 2002, 10:08
Can anyone recommend any good source for practice of Visualisation of Manoeuvres tests and the speed,distance, time problems encountered during ADF Pilot Aptitude tests. From memory, the aircraft visualisation test was quite difficult as the aircraft depicted wasn't really focused, and it wasn't my eyesight either, as several applicants complaint about the same problem. I have looked at two US publications, "Aptitude Tests For Military Pilots" and "Airline Pilot Employment Test Guide", but both publications only contain very basic examples.

To date I haven't sourced any practice tests containing similar problems requiring speed, distance and time problems.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Steely Dan
3rd Dec 2002, 22:31
KAOS

Check your private messages,

Steely:cool: :cool:

KAOS
4th Dec 2002, 03:44
Steely,

Thanks!
Likewise check your private mail.

Cheers
KAOS:D

geebar
4th Dec 2002, 12:23
I think a lot of the testing is done now on computers. I know of books that you can buy that help you out with regard to the apt testing. Just concentrate 100% when you are doing the tests and you will be fine

The military is definitely the way to go if you want the good flying!

KAOS
4th Dec 2002, 20:45
geebar

Yes all the Officer and Pilot tests are done on computer, which in my opinion made it much harder. The a/c images on the "spatial manouevring" test were distorted making interpretation quite difficult. I heard several applicants make a complaint with regards to this test.

I agree that if you do want the good flying, as a matter of fact ANY flying the way GA is, the military in my opinion is the only way to go.

Cheers, KAOS
:cool:

KAOS
5th Dec 2002, 20:34
Keep them coming guys! The date is nearing.:D

bigdog1971
6th Dec 2002, 08:36
Mate I did the testing in 96 on the old machine, (a seat with a big old screen and you had to steer this black dot into the center of the screen. Very old and antiquainted) and then again in 97 on the new computer.
However move over for new technology its all as you said now computer based. The computer has two joy sticks and your task is wide and various, there is about 6 - 10 (from memory) different serials. Mostly requiring you to steer with the joy sticks something around the screen. Now this sounds easy but just as you get used to it they swap the sense or direction of the sticks around, so what used to be up is now down.....
One test that sticks in my mind, they show you half a screen and a little black dot comes moving in from the left of screen, bounces on the bottom and goes out towards the right side, which is blacked out!, now your task is to guess where that ball would bounce next on the other half of the blacked out screen. This happens about a dozen times with varying "bounce" rates.
I now realise that they are mainly looking for your ability to learn and adapt to each type of serial. so they dont expect you to be a jet at it they just want to see you get better eaech time you are exposed to it. (you get about 4 goes at each serial).
Now I have been flying military mixmasters for about 5 years now and I have never seen a black dot come in from my left of screen!!
Best of luck its not that hard, if you had a misspent childhood playing computer games.

KAOS
8th Dec 2002, 20:55
bigdog1971

Check your private messages.

cheers, kaos:cool:

NOSIGN
11th Dec 2002, 12:32
KAOS,

I recently did RAAF testing. Prepared myself with

ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Tests (fm Amazon.com)
MENSA Challenge your IQ (any bookshop)
Handley, Speed Mathematics

As for d=st problems, make them up yourself... in your head. It deosnt take long and its not hard. Do a couple in your head every now and again. Convert speed/hr into speed/min is a good first step.

I failed my tests because of some silly medical reasons that i am appealing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

regards,

KAOS,

I recently did RAAF tests. I prepared with

ARCO Military Flight Aptitude Tests (fm Amazon.com)
MENSA Test your IQ (fm any bookshop)
Handley (HADLEY?) Speed Mathematics (city bookshop)

As for d=st q's, make them up yourself and do them in your head. Do a couple here and then, theyre not hard. Converting speed/hr into speed/min is typically a good first step.

As for my tests... FAILED because of some ridiculous medical 'problem', that i am apealing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards,

bigdog1971
11th Dec 2002, 13:41
NOSIGN
Was your medical problem a STUTTER........:p

Just joking around! looks like a computer problem......
Good luck with the nurses!

--------------------------------------
If it dont hover....Dont bover!

geebar
14th Dec 2002, 14:21
Kaos

Did the tests beginning of the year and again recently at flight screening. No problems at all as far as i could see

:)

KAOS
17th Dec 2002, 10:35
geebar

Check your private messages.:)