PDA

View Full Version : Asthama and peak flow levels

Pilot 1500
2nd Dec 2002, 14:34
Does having a slight level of exercise induced asthama affect my chances of failing the class 1 medical? I understand you have to register a peak flow. what level does this have to generally reach?

Thanks in advance

AerBabe
2nd Dec 2002, 18:27
There are ways round the peak flow test. For example, coughing into it, rather than breathing, and narrowing your mouth as you blow :D Sorry, there's no way to make that sound serious :D

Pilot 1500
2nd Dec 2002, 19:47
I been doing the coughing in to it for years to keep the doctor happy!!:)

Do you know of a certain borderline figure that must be reached??

QDMQDMQDM
2nd Dec 2002, 22:09
There is a predicted Peak Flow rate for your age and sex. With solely exercise-induced asthma there is no reason why you should not have a normal Peak Flow at times when the asthma has not been induced. If your Peak Flow is signficantly reduced at times when you are feeling 'normal for you' in chest terms, then you have poorly controlled chronic asthma and I doubt you'd get any certificate, let alone a Class 1. You'd also need your chest sorting out.

I shouldn't worry unduly if you have only exercise-induced asthma and I also wouldn't bother trying to fake a Peak Flow. They're actually quite tricky to do correctly in the first place and you'll only get yourself in a pickle if you try some trick of dubious usefulness. It's not necessary anyway.

QDM