PDA

View Full Version : Saudi Arabian Airlines

Adde
2nd Dec 2002, 13:00
"Saudi Arabian Airlines female cabin crew are only allowed to work in the cabin within saudi airspace? Once leaving saudi airspace, the male cabin crew take over."

Is this rumour true?

And by the way, does anyone know how to apply for Saudi Arabian Airlines as cabin crew? Do they recruit internationally?

/Adde

taba
2nd Dec 2002, 14:33
yep it's true!

unless you are of arabic origin, forget it!

oh and check your messages!

blue cheese
3rd Dec 2002, 01:58
Adde,

That's exactly what I heard! By the way, they just advertise recruitment ad in Kuala Lumpur. I did send in my application but I wonder if this is a good airline to work for. I dont have much information about this airline eg. pay, living conditions, lifestyle and etc. so anyone with information, feel free to drop me a line!

thanks!

london-flyer
3rd Dec 2002, 15:08
They do recruit internationally, they have ( or had ) a LHR and JFK base, when I worked for then about 4 years ago, living conditions were antastic, along with pay, perks etc, but you have to be aware of the culture over their, it is VERY different from anywhere else in the world. And things happen over their that would not of even happened 30 years ago in places like the U.K. But you are well treated, and I was JFK based for 2 years, they paid everything including fantastic accom, but be prepared to keep your mouth shout, when needed. Suitable to very lais back people, pre madonnas need not apply. You will hate it.

Good luck to those intrested, a real challange, and experience I will never forget, and love to re live.

blue cheese
4th Dec 2002, 01:30
London-flyer,

Great to get some feedback. So this airline is good to work, according to you. :) that's good to hear.

Have you been based in saudi? or only just in JFK? How's the shopping there?

thanks!

mutt
4th Dec 2002, 11:22
"Saudi Arabian Airlines female cabin crew are only allowed to work in the cabin within saudi airspace? Once leaving saudi airspace, the male cabin crew take over."

This is total B.S. they dont employ female Saudi nationals as FA's. The foreign FA's work all sectors, both domestic and international.

The airline is in the process of hiring over 300 Indonesians for a Dec 14th start date. Blue Cheese, if you get the opportunity to join them, take it, but treat it as a start in aviation and a stepping stone to another airline, it certainly isnt a long term career prospect.

Mutt.

ronnie123
4th Dec 2002, 12:42
mutt is bang on ! no Saudi girls work for SV.
As for living in Jeddah is quite hard on a westerner as you will have to wear a, "Abayah" as in a black over coat and black head scarf , at all times, dress code is imposed and is v v strong. The pay is GREAT.

london-flyer
4th Dec 2002, 20:28
Have to aggree, no saudi women in the airline.

As for pay, fantastic, have been based in Saudi, it is VERY tough, and does take time to get used to. Not many people last that long, but its not the airline, its more to do with the life style being so completely different to any other.
The girls do get a harder time, dress code is strict, and beware of the religious police, have heard some stories!!!!
However I really enjoyed myself, earned a lot of money, and I know people that have been their for years, and I am talking years, but some firneds that I stay in touch with say things are changing, and its not as good as it used to be.
But then, I think thats just the whole industry.
Go for it, but stick to the basic rules,
1 keep your nose clean
2 remember, your in their country, and so you have to stick to their rules, even if you dont like them
3 Be prepared to deal with a completly different way of living, thinking, and its best to keep your mouth shut about a lot of things, i.e religion, politics

And remember, its only a job
Enjoy:D

Floaty
4th Dec 2002, 22:32
... I rather clean toilets in Switzerland... :D :D :D

blue cheese
5th Dec 2002, 00:58
Hi guys,

I just sent off my application but I am not sure if I will get an invite for the interview.

Yeah mutt, I hope to get this job and use it as a stepping stone to another airline. How do you know that they hire 300 indonesians? Have you read it somewhere?

ronnie123, there is a dress code? even for the foreigners?? I mean the black robe?? GOSH!! If they want skimpy clothing out from my suitcase, then it's ok... but black robe everyday??? This I got to check with them if they call me for interview. :( DOnt sound good at all!

I know that htey are very strict and conservative but surely not with foriegners. But if i can really use this as opportunity to get to another airline, then I am willing to tolerate all this. :)

mutt
5th Dec 2002, 03:33
How do you know that they hire 300 indonesians? Have you read it somewhere? Its standard practice for the last 3 years, girls are hired just before Hadj on a short term contract which is then extended.

Saudi Arabia is a strict Moslem country, therefore the dress code applies to everyone. The idea of wearing an Abaya shouldnt be a deciding factor, it must be worn in public but not in any housing compound or beach facility, in these places your skimpy dresses would be a must! :)

Some people can tolerate the place and even enjoy it, others find it to be an earthly replica of hell............. you will only find out which category you fall into after you get there!

Good Luck.

Mutt.

trolleydollytoo
5th Dec 2002, 06:40
Hi all!

Well, I've worked in Saudi Arabia for many years doing the Hadj contract. What Mutt said was partially true, you don't have to wear the abaya on compounds that are designated for foreigners like American compounds or British compounds (ie. Arabian Homes, Rose Village etc.). that is where most expat crews stay. However, if you are hired directly through Saudia, then you will be living on their 'hostess' compound, which would mean that you would have to wear the abaya ( on the compound). The Saudia 'family' compound (for married people) is different, and you would not have to wear the abaya there.

Also, you might be interested in knowing that the 'hostess' compound does have a 2300h curfew for new hires and I believe 0000h after your probation period. You will also be required to share not only accomodations but bedroom too. Life in Jeddah is pretty good, better if you could be as lucky as I was to live on an expat compound (no curfews).

Good luck,

Trolleydollytoo

P.S. If you do go, you must really haggle for the price of gold...don't pay more than 39 to 42 Riyals a gram for 18k.:cool:

Adde
6th Dec 2002, 15:11
Since I'm not a woman, I don't stand a chance with Saudi? I sent them a letter perhaps one year ago. They replied saying they only employed Saudi nationals.

/Adde