PDA

View Full Version : feeling sick ?

ABO944
1st Dec 2002, 18:17
i have just started my ppl training up in the north of the uk, and although i have already done 5 hours, i still feel a little queezy when up in the air!

did anyone else get this feeling when they first started ??

and does it go away ????

thanks ...

VFE
1st Dec 2002, 18:41
Fortunately I have never even come close to boaking my guts up in a plane but understand that if one does begin to feel like they are gonna gip then to focus on the horizon (guess the artificial horizon will have to do if in IFR!), open up them fresh air inlets, try to avoid heavy meals prior to flying and try not to get hung up over it. Everyone I know who got sick to start with got over it after about 10 hours so don't worry captain.

Good luck,

VFE.

Loop... Hole
1st Dec 2002, 19:14
Is your headset too tight? I first felt sick in a Cessy when I borrowed a pair of DCs which held my temples like a vice. (Next time I felt airsick was in my Mooney as it fish-tailed endlessly... well for several minutes in thermal bumps doing 165 :) ).

The legendary Chuck Yeager says in his autobiography that he got airsick on his early flights but overcame it.

Ocean yachtsmen (and rowers) get over the initial sea sickness with a fantastic anti-emetic from New Zealand called Paihia Bombs available on the web at Paihia Pharmacy (http://www.paihiapharmacy.co.nz/)
It's not a drowsy one so it might just be suitable for flying - maybe worth checking.

Good luck!

faacfi
1st Dec 2002, 19:29
it s called adaptation.
if I take a boat I am sick becasue i dont go frequently on a boat. and I am not sick in airplanes due to my XXX thousand hours.
just question of time.
fly safe!

mpala
1st Dec 2002, 20:46
When I first took flying lessons, I used to get like this to the point of it being a distraction and hence hindering my progress. It can take a few lessons to get over this, but when you do, it is a real sense of achievement.

I used to be absolutely terrified of the stalling/incipient spin exercise before I done it. Once I overcome the "queasy" stage, my instructor at the time took me through the stall and I was happy.

My previous instructor (I had to stop due to financial reasons) took me through the stall and incipient spin, and I found that I really enjoyed the exercise. When you watch it on Flight Sim 2002, it does look horrifying, but when I was in the plane, I found it extremely fun. Oddly enough, I am willing to do these things in an aeroplane, but I still will never go on a rollercoaster.

One flying instructor told me he had a student who threw up 5 minutes into his first lesson, and kept doing this on each lesson. As the lessons went by, it took longer and longer for him to throw up, and then he was cured. He eventually went on to get his PPL.

VFE
1st Dec 2002, 21:21
That's when they found out he was bulemic right? :o

I'll get my coat.......

VFE.

G-SPOTs Lost
1st Dec 2002, 22:07
VFE

Im half Bulemic....

Ive got the bingeing bit off pat......

:D

Circuit Basher
2nd Dec 2002, 08:47
ABO944 - it's probably part related to stress / workload and may well be that psychologically you're now expecting to feel ill when you fly.

I've been flying in small aircraft now for 30 years (also got a back seat ride in a Hawk once!) and have done all kinds of aeros and full spins, etc - there have been occasions where my body has said to me 'Thank you very much, I've had enough. Can you stop now, please??'. Sometimes it's environment related (cabin air too hot, slight fumes, bright sunshine), sometimes stress (for early stage of spin training, etc), and sometimes diet related (stomach too full, stomach too empty, wrong kind of food!). I have never yet barfed (even in the rear end of a C130 doing low level flights over Welsh valleys with 80% of the other passengers inspecting their breakfasts! (:D

I have also occasionally (rarely) felt iffy after landing; I recall one particular trip in a C172 where I was P1 that was pretty lumpy in turbulence and I felt fine until on the ground - for about 3-4 hours afterwards, I was distinctly queasy.

Some people can just be more sensitive to motion sickness than others. The RAF has the occasional jet jockey that is perpetually airsick - it sends them through a de-sensitisation course which involves sticking them in a centrifuge and generally trying to get their bodies used to the sensations. If the pilot cannot be cured after all their efforts, then it's generally a ground-based job or P45 time.

I would not advocate drugs as the first route - try to identify what is causing the nausea first. My wife has problems with sea sickness and has used accurpressure bands [Proprietary Name Sea Bands] (which are readily available from Boots et al) with success.

Good luck and keep the paper bags handy!!;) ;)