View Full Version : Welshpool: a question to WWW

BroomstickPilot
1st Dec 2002, 11:36

Do you please have any news about the FTO that used to operate at Welshpool?

The last I heard, they were about to lose their airfield.

Have they got a new place yet? Is there any prospect of their resuming training operations?

What can you tell us?

Very best regards,

BroomstickPilot

2WingsOnMyWagon
1st Dec 2002, 11:55
The FTO who used to operate out of Welshpool was POOL aviation. They got thrown off the airfield by the owner Bob Jones (Big Legal Battle). They moved to tattenhill under the new name APB flight training but their not allowed to advertise because of conflicts with tatenhills own FTO, also i think they only train Pilot Assist now. Welshpool has been reopened as a GA airfield ( and what a nice little one it is to) frequency 128.00 (A/G Radio) anything else?:D

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Dec 2002, 12:02
Well that pretty much sums it up.

Its sad to see an airfield that used to train 60+ PPLs a year now mostly idle on glorious Autumn weekends.

Hopefully it has a bright future. The owner certainly has plans.

It is open - prior permission required - and its one of the more interesting airfields to visit due to the local terrain.

I took my first ever flight from there before it had a runway or anything else. I finished off my PPL there and got my first job there. My fingers remain crossed for its future. The damned noise protesters are currently very smug. It remains an ambition of mine to sink their faces with the sound of my jet engine on day.

2WingsOnMyWagon
1st Dec 2002, 12:19

Welshpool have A1 available and i hear that there planning a runway extension so maybe you could give them protesters a BUZZ in the near future:D :D :D
( I presume your flying a provost or similar and not a 747:D )

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Dec 2002, 16:15
Well I was thinking more of the low cost airlines coming to Mid-Wales and using the company transport to irk the moaning minnies who moved in next to an airfield and then discovered - shock horror - that aircraft congregated there.

But I don't see that happening.

Anyway, wouldn't want a Provost - after you've flown a Hawk simply nothing else will do <sniff>.

I don't think the runway CAN be extended by more than 2,000ft without rerouting the river Severn.

BroomstickPilot
2nd Dec 2002, 19:09
Thank you, one and all, for the information provided.

Very best regards,

BroomstickPilot