PDA

View Full Version : Ferry Pilots

PorcoRosso
2nd Feb 2001, 23:17
How do you become one ? I tried to find some websites, no way ...
Do you have any idea about, : requirements, who should I write to ...etc ...etc
I read this article about Margrit waltz, a german ferry pilot, who started to ferry A/C across atlantic at 19, with 250 Hrs, and no IFR !!!
OK, that was few years ago ...

Seems to be a fascinating job .

------------------
Flying is not dangerous, crashing is

NIMBUS
3rd Feb 2001, 00:23
PorcoRosso,
That German pilot must have went along for the ride. Most places look for a lot of hours and experience for trans-Atlantic. Generally, its retired airline pilots who do it. I asked about it a few months ago, and my 700hr CPL/IR didn't even qualify me as a possible co-pilot!
Talk to a few dealers/brokers. They might be able to give you a job. Also, try any aircraft manufacturers in your area.
In the US, Cessna wanted a minimum of 500hrs CPL/IR for delivering single engine aircraft within the US. For any kind of turbine/multi engine, they wanted a minimum of 2500hr CPL/IR, with lots of experience in type.
Good Luck!

A Very Civil Pilot
3rd Feb 2001, 02:34
There was a thread about 6 months ago entitled 'Big Balled Ferry Pilot'. Try looking for it with the search feature.(It was overloaded when I tried to look for it.)

Pilot Pete
3rd Feb 2001, 13:03
If you value your life look very closely at what it involves. Ferrying a 152 accross the Atlantic is a game of Russian Roulette. How many successful trips does it take before the inevitable?

My ex PPL instructor gave me one bit of advice about hour building....."never, ever, ever consider ferry flying to build hours". I never did......................

PP

PorcoRosso
3rd Feb 2001, 15:45
Pilot Pete,

I can't say I totally disagree with your point of view, Pete, but I have heard too many times, people saying stuff like : "never fly a singles IFR at night" "never fly singles over the sea/mountain/desert/jungle" ...
You end up with the logical conclusion, that if you never fly, you never crash.

I used to tow gliders for free (another way to build hours) Most of the time, from small strips, with trees at the end of the, so-called, runway.
I especially remember an airfield in the south of France, where we were supposed to find our way in the climb, between an hotel, and high trees, with absolutely no option to land safely in case of engine failure, and of course, barely enough space for the glider ...

I 've done at least 400 Take-off in those conditions,sometimes tailwind, as there was a mountain at the end of the sole runway, always wondering, "what if"? ...
You see, you don't have necessarily to cross the atlantic to risk your life, and sometimes, rich people are just paying you for that (they were not aware I think)
Another way people risk their lives, is to fly in Africa, over the jungle ...Can be fascinating as long as you don't dive in the trees.
I think it's much more a matter of what you are expecting from life in general, and flying especially.
As far as I am concerned, I want to see many aspects of this job, Ferrying A/C over the atlantic is one of them.
I am not only considering it as a mean to build hours, but also as a career ...

Felicitations for the job at JMC

------------------

[This message has been edited by PorcoRosso (edited 03 February 2001).]

JJflyer
3rd Feb 2001, 23:33
Hour requirments depend who you fly for...

I had about 250 to 300 hours when I did my first Pacific flight from Oakland to Honolulu Via Maui ( Fuelstop ). This was a supervised flight where I had a more experienced pilot with me. next was a supervised Solo where I flew an airplane on my own and a friend of mine who had done about a 400 crossings flew in another.
Third I was on my own and flew a Archer to Honolulu. Next was a Twin Otter I was again in the copilot seat. Then I moved into the Twins and flew a couple of Navajos and Chieftains around pacific. Then a Twin Otter as Capt with a CoHo that was learning the biz.
A couple of Metros and Kingairs accross both Atlantic and Pacific. A few Cherokee VI singles... Some hours in a DC9 and Citations. About 70 crossings and 600 hours later it was time to find a job that would not be so seasonal and dependent in the US Dollar exchange rate. Longest flight ever: PHNL-KOAK 18hrs 06 min.

I still accept ferryflights every now and then as it is quite exciting.. but I choose my planes carefully. It helps a lot to be approved by Lloyds approved for this type of work if you are thinking about it.

JJ

PorcoRosso
4th Feb 2001, 05:48
Thank you very much for your story JJ, it's interesting to hear from people who have been in the business.
You tend to confirm the idea that it is possible to begin, with a "light" log book.
But I guess it's also a matter to know or to meet the right people, isn't it ?
I think I will call few A/C dealers on monday

Just few questions JJ, When did you start ferrying A/C's ?
Is there any kind of ground school for this activity ?

Many thanks

------------------

JJflyer
4th Feb 2001, 15:02
Well at the time when I started there was none. One of the companies I flew for asked me to give training to some individulas that where flying their airplanes around the world.
I have given several courses to date on international procedures, obtaining overflight permits, oceanic procedures, fuel management and all things relevant to flying a light aircraft over big ponds such as Pacific is.

I do not know if anyone gives these type of courses anymore but bigger training organisations such as FlightSafety and SimuFlight give International training . This is more to the Bizjet and Airline type of operations and does not really cover the elements you encounter at lower flight altitudes and with generally lower performance aircraft than a GV is.

JJ

Should you have any particular questions,I ammore than happy to share information with you all.