PDA

View Full Version : first as pax with Kulula

PAXboy
30th Nov 2002, 22:14
Hi folks,

Currently on an extended trip here and used Kulula for the first time the other week on a single JNB ~ CPT.

We were delayed by a wheel change but that was all handled well - once we had boarded. There was no info in the terminal as to why we were delayed, which was poor.

Flight was much as one would expect, the cabin p/a's from the attendents used every joke one has ever heard before but most folk seemed to like them.

Only issue - what a ghastly colour of green!!! Overall, the paint job did not impress but I expect that I shall be on them again soon.

It was also grand to have another (possibly last) ride on the 727. Am I right in thinking that these are the 72s that were used by the original Sun Air (1997)??

Next up is out to Phalaborwa for the eclipse, on Link from JNB on Monday and back Wednesday.

Cheers.

REAL ORCA
1st Dec 2002, 05:50
If you think the Kulula 727's are a "GHASTLY" colour of green, wait untill you see the newly painted 737-400. A lot worse!!!!!!! Must have been a special on green paint somewhere.:eek:

Gunship
1st Dec 2002, 09:14
Paxboy and Orca (the ex - FAT one) :p ,

As I said on a previous post - I have flown with them for quite a while. I "normally" arrive anywhere form 0400 to 0700 at Smuts - normally not the correct dat though .. "Ghana Scareways days". What a pleasure then to fly for $50 odd bucks down home to Cape Town... that is my point - affordable - I luvvveee 727 's and it is just a nice feeling for me to save a $100 and not looking into a scarecrow hostie of SAA .. uhmmm Gunsss .. ok to early for a sloshh ... I like Kulula :cool:

B Sousa
1st Dec 2002, 11:16
Also did Kulula (JNB/CPT/JNB) recently and no complaints. The rental car thing is OK but you have to plan ahead a bit or you wont get one.
When the Airbus retires the crew will be flown home on Boeings.......

bacon torpedo
2nd Dec 2002, 16:00
Kulula still only have two routes. Do you think they'll ever get around to serving some of the other cities in SA or expand to serve other Southern African countries.

It would really f!*k up SAA and Comair, who both seem to charge a small fortune, if they upped the frequencies on JHB-CPT/Durban routes and brought in a couple of new routes (CPT - Durban, JHB-PE). The big boys would **** their pant's!!!

LOW COST RULES!!!!!

Gunship
2nd Dec 2002, 20:18
Torpedo Bacon, Good question ... I mean I am sure they make $ 's on the other routes as they are always full.

Most probably it is a route problem (no licence for the route?)

Orca ? Come in REAL Orca ... give us an answer Orcaaaa :confused:

PAXboy
2nd Dec 2002, 20:46
Orca: "If you think the Kulula 727's are a "GHASTLY" colour of green, wait untill you see the newly painted 737-400. A lot worse!!!!!!! Must have been a special on green paint somewhere."

Ain't that the truth!!! I saw one today on the front apron at JNB as I was being taxied out. The colour is yuk and the paint looks like it has been daubed on by children!

As to whether Kulula will take on other routes, I heard a rumour that Comair want to leave the franchise when it is next up for renewal, so that they can compete on all routes ...
???

The flight that I was in was the AirLink JNB ~ PHW, 16:15 rotation and we had to wait for the wind to finish changing ends. Fairly heavy rain, so the Cpt warnded of turbulence when departing.

Why is that, after two clear warnings, we DO drop a bit (maybe 50m) some of the pax scream? Oh well, they had better stay on the ground next time. The J41 and the guys up front did their stuff and all was well, of course.

This was my first trip to Phalaborwa and the airport is really neat, a beautifully designed terminal building.

Later, after I had checked into the Impala, I realised that I had left a small notebook in the seat pocket. Rang Airlink and they called back to say that it had been found upon return to JNB and it is now making it's way back to me. Thanks all involved, on the machine and the ground.

Now for the eclipse!!

REAL ORCA
5th Dec 2002, 16:58
KULULA

Sorry Gunship, I was working.....

Kulula is aimed at a different market when compared with BA. When it initially started, I think it was aimed at the folks that were regular commuters by bus. Thats probably why the fares compared favourably with that of the Intercity busses. Now that a market share has been created, KULULA is doing well and expanding and definitely looking at different routes. Problem- they were operating the 727's with a capacity of 175 pax. Obviously, on lower capacity routes KULULA will compete with BA if they push the 727 on those routes-which is a no-win situation for COMAIR. Now that they phasing in the 737-400, and maybe even the 737-200, the situation might change-who knows??????

Gunship
5th Dec 2002, 22:40
Real Orca .. Work what the .u.. is that ?

I love it when a plan comes together ... how is Sunair and the new Airline doing with their business class seating only to Cape Town (uhmm the REAL TOWN ) ;)