PDA

View Full Version : permanent health Insurance

pudd
30th Nov 2002, 09:09
Does anyone know of a company that will issue Permanent Health Insurance including an own occupation clause?I have found it extremely easy to find Loss of Licence excluding the above.:confused: :confused:

Ludwig
3rd Dec 2002, 16:39
Pudd, this own occupation thing is always a problem, however I can tell you that there are insurers who will do it it all depends on what exactly you do. For example, one leading PHI insurer will not touch Test Pilots or Mil pilots. Commercial passenger pilots flying over 12 seaters are treated differently to those flying under 12 seaters. Instructors are treated the same as the pilots in general, and any intructors doing sim only will be treated differently again!

The basic position is, it seems, that they will do own occupation but will not necessarily pay out just because you have lost your class 1 medical as they see the physical ability to do the job as separate to maintaining a licence. Extreme example may be perhaps loss of class 1 due to alchol or drug abuse; they probably would not pay up, unless you were a cripple suffering from the advanced stages of somthing brought on by the abuse like serrosis of the liver (sp?).

On the other hand if you say lost both legs they may well pay out as although you could work behind a desk you probably would not be a pilot (although not perhaps necessarily)

This treatment is similar to for example HGV drivers who have to maintain a medical to be legal but who may not be incapable of driving just becasue they have no medical.

I suggest you talk to the insurers before signing.

pudd
4th Dec 2002, 18:18
Thanks for the info ludwig,
Do you have a name of an Insurer who would supply PHI cover so I can discuss own occupation cover,I seem to have come to a dead end with the standard insurers, many thanks Pudd

Officedesk
4th Dec 2002, 21:25
Pudd

I act as a part time intermediary for UNUM Provident and arrange PHI insurance for pilots. If you want further info then email me.