PDA

View Full Version : Eastern (QantasLink) Psych & Skills!

aussie joe
30th Nov 2002, 00:01
Have just recieved an email "inviting" me to attend a "Skills and Psychometric Assesment" as the first stage of Eastern's Pilot recruitmant process.:)

Anybody out there attended one of these in the past? What to expect etc?...

Cheers

Hugh Jarse
30th Nov 2002, 04:53
Aussie Joe, it's the QF mainline test. There are probably a few more people around that have done that one.

Good luck!

On Track
30th Nov 2002, 05:02
A mate of mine who did one of these tests recently has just received a reject letter from Eastern.

Given that he is a very experienced pilot and regarded highly by most people who've flown with him, this is demoralising for him and bewildering, to say the at least, to those who know him.

Just what are these tests supposed to prove? And has their validity been proven?

Somehow they seem like a w**k to me, and I suspect the airlines are missing out on some good talent because of them.

Hugh Jarse
30th Nov 2002, 18:35
Sorry to hear about your mate's situation, On Track.
Just what are these tests supposed to prove? And has their validity been proven?
You'd need to talk with QF HR about that one. They would probably say "Yes" When you look at airline recruitment practices around the world, each has it's own way of choosing applicants. Each thinks it's way is the best.:eek:

I remember hearing or reading that the original concept was intended to assist the employer with selecting NEW (little or no flying experience) pilots, which sort of makes sense to me when you talk cadet pilots (civil or military).

However, when you start talking about highly experienced applicants you sometimes end up with situations exactly as your friend experienced. Just look at how many miss out at QF. No system is perfect.

I don't believe Eastern HR had a choice whether to use the Psych & Skills (that only came in a few years ago). The process has evolved from a single informal interview to the current form of 2 (very occasionally 3) stages.

Given that he is a very experienced pilot and regarded highly by most people who've flown with him, this is demoralising for him and bewildering, to say the at least, to those who know him.

No doubt he's probably exactly as you wrote. But look at other threads on this board and you'll see that being highly experienced, competent and a good bloke doesn't necessarily mean much, regardless of the airline you're applying to...

Reputations can be a subjective thing. I've seen conflicting information get around about applicants where one person says "top bloke" while others say "@rsehole". Who do you believe? :confused:

It's sad your friend didn't get the opportunity to complete the full process. That's an idiosynchrasy of the system....

Sheep Guts
30th Nov 2002, 22:41
I went and did the test for Easterns the date was September 11 2001, (no joke). I must have passed, because they called me in for the interview, 2 days later 13th (no joke) . I was interviewed by 2 Captains who said I was to be interviewed by Management aswell, but something had just come up(Ansett off the rails no joke)the next day the14TH we all knew happened.
I myself stuffed the sim and my performance was average in the interview, I knew I was a goner. As I was leaving though, the next interviewee was late, he rushed passed me with Flighwest stickers all over his briefcase. Even though I didnt make it, its a good pub story!!:D

Regards
Sheep

Hugh Jarse: Its the way the cookie crumbles I say, whats meant to be is meant to be. Hey if I got in, how could I be downing some coldies at the Montego Bay Yacht Club asarvy!!:D :D :D