PDA

View Full Version : Check in waiting time

Buggs Bunny
29th Nov 2002, 22:08
Have just flown in to UK from HAM and experienced in excess 30 mins wait time at check-in.

How does this compare with other airports?
Where are the best and worst offenders and what airlines?

Thanks
BB

rsoman
29th Nov 2002, 22:32
This need not be related to airports alone

Low cost- Long wait? (part of no frills???).

PAXboy
29th Nov 2002, 23:19
I think that there are dozens of factors that are in play:

1) Staffing: Are all staff available? Meal and comfort breaks.
2) Special promotion by carrier or a very large consolidator who just happens to have been able to sell another 50 seats on a flight that is nearly always empty, so check in desk staff not expecting it.
3) Holiday season - even a special holiday in one country can do it.
4) Tech problem with check in computers that delayed earlier flights, so the queue is longer than normal.
5) A fire alarm or other situation tha causes check in to be frozen for five minutes or 15. When I was checking in at LHR T3 two weeks ago, three fire trucks arrived outside the departures area. Fortunately, they were sent away but that could have closed the place.

I am sure that those who face us across the desk can add many more.

Half an hour? Irritating certainly but, for Economy seating on short haul? At the longer end of the time span that I am used to. It can be anything from 1 minute to 40 mins.

When I was regularly shuttling MUC ~ LHR for 18 months, there was little pattern and I was taking the same flights on the Friday and Sunday evenings.

DistantRumble
30th Nov 2002, 14:08
Aer Rianta recently started enforcing rules at Dublin to ensure a minimum of X desks (X varies by flight) available to check-in each flight.

Please try and be intelligent checking in. especially if only handbaggage there is nearly always a fast lane.

AerBabe
30th Nov 2002, 19:30
I don't think low-cost necessarily equals long check-in time. I've flown Ryanair a few times recently, and the longest queue was one person in front. Compare to the large carriers I've flown with in the last 12 months: Air Canada, Air France, and Virgin - all had very long check-in waits.

World Traveller
30th Nov 2002, 20:49
Hmm, Virgin Atlantic stands out in my mind as having long queues at both Heathrow and Gatwick. Mind you the check-in queue is preferable to T3 departures!

I always expect the worst with the low costs's where they have 2 desks where BA might have 3 or 4. Doesn't often work out like that though, although 'disorganised' is a good description of Ryanair at Stansted.

Check-in queues in the US always seem to move fairly quickly, in my experience.

Frankfurt had quite a long queue for LH short-haul, but kind of made up for by the fact LH staff are all so goddamn professional.

All my own opinions.

WT

Elwood Senese
1st Dec 2002, 16:26
From today's Sunday Times readers' rants. Inadequate response IMHO...

A WARNING to those travelling with Virgin from Heathrow. We arrived at 1pm for a 4pm flight, thinking that we would have plenty of time to shop and have lunch. But we found about 1,000 passengers queuing to check in with the airline, and it took us nearly two hours to reach the desk.
There were several Virgin flights taking off within the space of two hours, and none of the 10 or so check-in desks was dedicated to a specific destination. As each departure drew nearer, staff panicked and pulled out passengers for that flight, which meant that we had to queue even longer.

It was certainly not an ideal start to a holiday.

M Holden, Cambs

Virgin replies: “We make every effort to ensure that queues move as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, since September 11, we have a number of extra security questions at check-in and this slows the process down.”

cossack
3rd Dec 2002, 21:53
I travelled MAN-YYZ-MAN with AC in October. Arrived at MAN 2.5 hours before departure and took 1.5 hours to reach the front of the queue! It was only a 767-200 so not a particularly large load, but only 4 desks. Didn't think much of that since I had an e-ticket. Fat lot of use that was, no express check in machines for AC at MAN.

I checked in for the return about 2 hours before departure, used the express machine and from stepping through the terminal door to depositing my bag took about 3 minutes. Fantastic!

Memetic
4th Dec 2002, 01:05
Perhaps more airlines should do what Continental do at Gatwick, do the security questions while you queue.

I'm not sure by how much it speeds the whole process up, but it does at least feel like you are making progress. :)

AOG007
4th Dec 2002, 01:51
The Joys of Ground handling!

Quite simple explanation. You, as the passenger, may have arrived on time. But what about the others, and for which flight. Some airlines have dedicated desk for each flight, where as others have general check-in for ticket class (VS and BA).

Personally this does not work as well as dedicated, but it is swings and roundabouts! Either way, there are pro's and con's.

Virgin Atlantics excuse in the above article is a cop out. Clearly on the day in question, the situations presenting themselves to the staff were to much for them to handle, because it sounds as though the handling of the situations were poor. Extra security questions? Rubbish. They still ask exactly the same as before, and as before, most passengers either don't listen, or find them humourous!

Until somebody come's up with a better idea for checking in passengers then things will remain the same.

My personal idea would be to tag each passenger at time of booking. Then two days priot to departure I would take over control of their thought processes, and deliver them to the airport in plenty of time. I would then hold them in a lounge until departure time. Maybe then we could get the aircraft away in time, whilst abiding by all the new security proceedures.

So who thinks that would work? :D :p :D :p :D :p

t3953
4th Dec 2002, 07:12
There is no easy way to beat the lines in a busy airport.

VS on LHR T3 are only assigned a few pretty small number of desks by BAA despite operating all large aircraft that seem to depart at pretty much the same time, this is obviously a recipe for disaster in a sardine can!

The only good way to beat the system is the installation of more automatic ckin facilities such as BA's and SAS's and telephone WAP checkin but again that causes difficulties if the pax has bags (which he/she will more than likely try to get away with bringing a 20kg suitcase in the cabin im sure) but of course do you honestly think your going to see facilites such as this with the likes of Ryanair or Easyjey?? HA!

So i guess we'll just have to put up with the lines, its almost a way of life! I tend to while away my time watching the bags go down the conveyor, its almost theraputic! Arent I sad!!! :eek:

bealine
4th Dec 2002, 09:18
Sorry Folks! Gatwick's check-in queues have always been legendary, 'cos of its low-cost, charter type business history - anyone remember the time Sir Freddie Laker had to rent an enormous marquee to hold all the pax arriving three days before their flight was due? Obviously, that funny other airport around the M25 who we don't mention is just starting to catch on to this queuing idea!

From a check-in agent's point of view, it's just as frustrating to be staring out at an unending queue as it is for you to wait in it! We often are at the desk for 4 to 5 hours at a stretch, without water, and completely against VDU operators guidelines! Indeed, the British Airways desks at LGW were condemned a few years ago, by the HSE, who demanded replacements (with larger working area and positioned further from the screens) should be provided before Jan 1st 2000 - that's gone by the wayside!

There are little things which occasionally lighten things up!

Yesterday, we had the Phillipino crew of a Merchant ship checking in for Gibraltar! When the pretty young thing a few desks away from me called out "Can I have some more seamen over here please!" - there was hardly a straight face in the queue!

Seriously though, anyone who is well read concerning aviation history will know that, traditionally, airlines have been created, and managed, by aeroplane and aviation enthusiasts (indeed, many were also eccentric!) who had very little in the way of business acumen! When the travelling public were from the upper crust of society and would pay whatever price was demanded, (questioning price was considered rather "vulgar"), it was almost guaranteed that the airline would turn in some sort of profit.

Today, with the plethora of low-yield fares, even a full flight does not necessarily yield a profit! Airlines have, therefore, cut costs to the bone (and Ground Handling is a necessary direct cost, straight off the bottom line) and the "Common Check In" you are witnessing at British Airways and Virgin is a sensible exercise in cost-cutting. (Don't forget, at this time last year, the very survival of both BA and VS was in very serious doubt - both of us were losing about £25m per day at one stage!)

Steadily, both airlines have been recruiting more front-line staff on temporary, part-time contracts to provide extra cover at peak times of day. However, both airlines are still in a fragile state. (BA shares are still only bumping around the £1.60 mark compared with £7.60 in their heyday and £3.65 just before 9/11).
Now, I know that the airlines' finances are none of your concern as a customer - you're still entitled to good levels of service, but I hope I have given you some insight as to the tightrope we're walking and to show you that steps are being taken to improve your lot!

Little things can be done to reduce your waiting time and increase your queue busting techniques:

1. Does your airline have Internet Check-In facilities for your flight? (For British Airways, go to www.ba.com and register with us, you'll then be able to pre-check in 12 hours ahead! - or 24 hours ahead if you're an Executive Club member {thanks Globaliser}) or Telephone Check-In facilities, or Drive-Thru' check-in? Is there a complimentary limo service with drive-thru' check-in for Business Class Fares? If so (and you're not booked in Business Class, what is the fare differential??? {sometimes it can be quite small}

If not, or you don't have Internet Access at the critical time

2. What Frequent Flyer card do you hold. One World Emerald, Sapphire and Ruby can check in at the Business Class desks of a One World partner airline. Star Alliance partners will have similar facilities for their upper tier card holders.

3. Hand Baggage Only? As mentioned in another thread, most airlines have a hand-baggage only check-in facility to avoid the main queue.

4. What Ticket do you hold? (At British Airways, the cardboard "ATB" ticket (identified with a magnetic stripe on the reverse, green in colour if a Travel Agent's issueBlue in colour if British Airways Reservations issue) enables you to use the "Self-Service" machine to check in as long as your ticket is for a "BA" flight number (If it's a codeshare and issued for the codeshare partner's flight number, it won't work!) If in doubt, ask a BA staff member - there's always a "floor-walker" about when queues develop!

Similarly, if you hold an "E-Ticket", the Self-Service machine can check you in if you produce either the Credit Card you used when the booking was made or your "Executive Club" membership card (as long as your travel agent remembered to get your number into the booking!!!)

Even if you have hold baggage, you can use the machine and go directly to the "Self-Service Baggage Acceptance" point.

If you've not used the Self-Service machines before and you're apprehensive, ask a "floor-walker" to help or ask a fellow traveller how it's done - you make new friends that way!

5. If you must wait in the long queue, have your luggage labels written out and attached to your bag(s) before it's your turn to get to the desk. Similarly, get out your tickets and/or e-ticket itinerary and passport while you're waiting. If you have a Visa for your destination, place a marker (like a business card for example) at the relevant page in your passport to save the Agent flicking through!

If your hold bags have shoulder straps, remove these and place them into a side pocket or into the main bag while your waiting.

Now is also a good time to make sure that you've removed any old labels from previous flights. The check-in agent has a bin and will gladly dispose of them for you. (Not only does this save the agent a job, it also helps to ensure your bag is routed to the right destination! It has been known for us to put a passenger's bag on the Athens service, only for it to return 8 hours later with a curt note attached "Why you send us this bag? It has ATH on one end and LGW on the other!"

These little details save vital seconds in the transaction which helps everyone in the queue.

If you are of a gregarious, extrovert nature - please encourage others in the queue to follow your example. Believe it or not, if every passenger was "prepared" on arrival at the desk, with 12 desks open we could each "process" 2 transactions a minute!

6. Please end, or place on Hold, mobile phone calls when it's your turn to check in - we need your undivided attention!

I hope to have been of some help and look forward to the day when our airline queues become manageable again!!!

;) :) :) ;)

Globaliser
4th Dec 2002, 15:22
Does your airline have Internet Check-In facilities for your flight? (For British Airways, go to www.ba.com and register with us, you'll then be able to pre-check in 24 hours ahead!) Thanks, bealine, as always for all the hints. I feel bad about an apparent nit-picking point. IIRC, Internet check in is available 24 hours in advance for Exec Club members only, but only 12 hours in advance for website registered pax. Must give the lucky few a head start ...

bealine
4th Dec 2002, 21:09
Sorry Globaliser - I wasn't aware of the "Executive Club" getting a head start on the deal!

Next time you're at LGW or that funny LHR place, pick up an Executive Club application form, then you'll be on an equal footing!

;)

Globaliser
4th Dec 2002, 23:47
Should have said that I am Exec Club, although I don't put flying points into it - my main scheme's QF. Most of the time, though, I've got pre-allocated seats and business class check in privileges (oneworld status) so it really doesn't matter much how I do it.

Once when early check in did matter to get a seat, the only thing I scored on the website was sequence number 2. The seat map wasn't up yet at 24 hours out. (Possibly ops was undecided which aircraft to use on the route?) The exercise seemed a little pointless - all I'd got was a poxy middle seat somewhere - until my phone call to the help line with a request for a seat change bore fruit. By the time I reached the airport, I'd been re-allocated a window seat in a bulkhead row. For that flight, perfect.

PAXboy
5th Dec 2002, 22:01
bealine: A usual, another very helpful post. I think that your list should be printed up and placed on stands along the queue, as well as on the TV screens over the desks.

Since these screens simply state the flight number or carrier and class of the desk below, they could scroll through a list of these points, showing the logo and desk status inbetween each.

Since the pax are not doing much, if they see this list each time they check in, it may be a way to help educate them.

DistantRumble
6th Dec 2002, 10:49
just to jump back to the VS checkin desks ; they've been that size for ages.

This is BAA's fault as there is a limited number of desks on T3 checkin concourse.

(and of course the wooly pullys punishment for moving to LHR in the first place)

There are two main ways around this in the long term

1: Rebuild T3 to add 100 more desks.

2: Deassign dedicated desks and give desks out as they're needed - e.g. there will be some flights that will only leave at night - e.g. to Hong Kong with Cathay etc and some that will leave early AM - e.g. VS to LAX

3: alternately have staff that will check bags in for any flight whatsoever no matter what desk.

Unfortunately none of the above is likely soon. Probably the best bet is to try and go through the connections centre. i

bealine
6th Dec 2002, 21:47
alternately have staff that will check bags in for any flight whatsoever no matter what desk

Distant Rumble - as always, you make quite good suggestions. The only "fly in the ointment" as far as LGW is concerned, is the convoluted route taken by baggage as it leaves check-in to go to the handling area. If a bag is checked in in the "wrong zone", it will end up in the "wrong zone" in the troglodyte world which rejoices in the name of "Belts" - a twilight zone where the army of handlers who never see daylight exist!

Unfortunately, through the triple-stage security scanning process, a bag takes 20 minutes to travel from check-in into the brawny arms of said Trogg! By the time he realises the bag's not for his truck, scratched a hairy armpit and muttered a few choice expletives, it's quite likely that the truck for the correct aircraft has already left the area.

Additionally, bags for certain destinations (eg Caracas / Bogota, Kingston, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Spain etc) require possible scrutiny by HM Customs and/or Special Branch. If deemed necessary, this is a requirement the airline MUST adhere to! Regrettably, since 9/11 and the need to intercept terrorist money laundering operations, more destinations have been added to the list!

These are two reasons (there are others as well, but trivial by comparison) why totally "Common" check-in could never happen!

;)

Heathrow09L
8th Dec 2002, 15:20
Well as usaul its down to fantastic Mangement, they sit upstairs in the office gossip all day drinking coffee, whilst you check in a flight say B767 to JFK with 360 PAX booked, and only three of you on check in, its beyond your control, your tired because you have probaly been there since 5am and its now 7am without a break.

You get get Passenger A: Oh what do you know he's name isn't in the system so you have to phone the ticket desk who sometimes don't bother answering the phone or take ages, and you end of taking 6 minutes to check in a passenger which I totally agree is ridiculous and unfair on everybody.

But people in the back think (dear there so slow) but hello if:

a) There was more of us on check in
b) The travel agent had put the name in the sytem
c) Somtimes Dispatch but the flight on suspend which is a nightmare.

To all those poor unfortunate people who have been stuck in the queue for more than 30 mins, write to the airline management because they do not listed to a word we say.

Plus every passenger who comes to the front everyone of them asks

a) Can we have seats with extra leg room
b) Can we have Emergency exit because I broke my back last week

You spend ages saying the same thing which again takes time.

Barney_Gumble
9th Dec 2002, 20:39
I would support your advice bealine. I decided a while ago the key to easier travel was to use one carrier as much as possible. To that end I looked at all the carriers that offer services in the sectors I fly (normally I fly to short haul four times a month and long haul once in a while).

I decided on BA because they offerred the flights I wanted and I have a friend who works there (every little helps). I joined the frequent flyer programme and collected the points to gain Silver membership. After a little bit of a learning experience I now follow the steps below:

1. Use the BA.com web site 24 hours in advance and even get to choose my seat.
2. Use the E-ticket in the self service machines
3. Try not to take any hold baggage if poss (but still respect the other passengers and cabin loading).

The only problem I have now is when passing through security. It can take a while sometimes, but I think that is an , unfortunately necessary, fact of life really. Security and fast turnaround operations are diametrically opposed processes; just a case of allowing enough time and chat to the person in front in the queue.

On the aircraft treating the flight team as I would want to be treated if roles were reversed always helps. They get some unecessary flack from travellors on occasions so a kind hello etc helps there. Last week I had a great time on Tuesday's BA 798 with the guy in the seat next to me. Never met before, but ended up having a good chat and probably had a little too much red wine :D

I guess that I would rather get on with the folks offering the service on the ground or in the air as opposed to expecting everything to be perfect (not suggesting that any folks above think differently mind)

I get confused with Codeshared flights though One World doesn't seem to be completely perfect, but I suppose the systems in use by BA and, say, Finnair may be different and perhaps not interact as best as they might but not really a problem.

I'll be back this week same flight Wednesday :)

Barney

t3953
10th Dec 2002, 13:09
Is anyone else falling in love with BEALINE???
Your so funny!

Anyway, next time your at the end of the line, remember there are probably about 10 or so families in front arriving at the desk..

A) without their Tickets and passports out,
B) Without having the name tags for their bags completed so they sprawl themselves over the counter to complete them and usually robbing the agents pen in the process!!!
C) Then moaning because the aircraft isnt designed in such away that all 7 of them can sit exactly beside each other!
D) Then moaning because its not possible to get them seats together on the connecting flight which is completely out of the control of the checkin agent
E) Asking for exit rows and then asking why they were not preassigned to them when they asked to travel agent for them!
F) Then they probably dont want the bags to be through checked only after they already have been tagged!!!

===AM I RAMBLING ON HERE???===

G) Giving out because the Veg meal they DIDNT order isnt showing in the system!
H) A bundle and one other things that you, YES YOU are more than likely also going to contribute to slowing down those behind you aswell!!!!

Was that a tad harsh???

Barney_Gumble
10th Dec 2002, 18:54
Hi t3953,

Is anyone else falling in love with BEALINE???

Not sure I understand what you me, although I a bit dim on occasions, so it might be obvious to others :)

The advice given was quite good IMHO, sorry if that is not the way it comes across in my post. I don't know bealine, but he/she appears to give good advice.

Do you see it from a more difficult perspective? I certainly see your point if you do, dealing with the public is a tough profession.

Have I missed somthing here folks :confused:

bealine
13th Dec 2002, 05:46
No Barney_Gumble, you're not missing anything! Methinks 'tis just the start of the "Bealine Appreciation Society!"

FYI "bealine" (pronounced BEE-A-LINE) is the old Callsign which
B E A pilots used to use to call up Air Traffic Control. This, of course, in the days when it was British European Airways (long before Jersey European's name change!) This will give a hint as to my likely age group! (just short of "silver surfing"!)

Like my airline colleagues who also post on the forum, I joined the airline because I enjoy giving outstanding customer service and it often pains me to see the modern way airlines are "processing" their passengers! We respond to this forum because we can help our customers understand why things happen in a certain way, and can offer help and advice where it may be most beneficial!

As an anonymous freelance magazine writer, I have a tendency to try to inject a sense of humour into responses - sometimes appearing a little too flippant or facetious for my own good, it has to be said!!!

Anyhow, another tip (after wasting 20 minutes with one passenger this morning!) which may help is:

If you change a booking on an "E-Ticket", unless it is a FULL FARE, there will be a penalty to pay. Until that penalty has been paid, the "E-Ticket" will disappear. Please do not go to the check in desk until you have been to the Ticket Counter and paid the change fee!

Keep Your Temper - You never know when you may appear on "You've Been Framed!!!"

Human Factor
13th Dec 2002, 10:47
These days "Bealine" (pr. BEELINE) is used by the BA tugs at LHR.;)

DistantRumble
13th Dec 2002, 13:32
Bealine, did you report the problem to BA software support as an enhancement that might flash "Do not check passenger in-Change fee must be paid " instead of leaving you without any knowledge ?
(from someone who designs large software, and I've been airside in the BA building at LHR where the coolies program )

Barney_Gumble
13th Dec 2002, 17:14
OK I understand, I have a habit of being a little dim but not this time :D

I have had some flights which have been difficult but mostly it is out of the control of the folk behind the counter, so I have just decided to cut people slack.

I flew my usual Speedbird 798 on Wednesday evening and had a good laugh with the folk on board (used e-ticket machine so didn't meet any Check-In folk on the ground). In the air it was great, service was good meal was good, even had a chance to chat to the purser about PPRuNe for a while and private flying. The flight was not to full so it was easy to do.

On the way back the flight was very crowded with pax with so much cabin luggage, I think the hold must have been empty. Even then the CC team were fine, service was very pleasant.

One thing that did make me chuckle was when the guy next to me asked for a Irish newspaper (BA 799 flight from Helsinki to LHR) and the CC said we don't have any Irish papers we have Finnish and British; this is a flight from Finland to Britain. My neighbour then looked at me and laughed.

Probably not correct answer but it was late and anyone could be forgiven for that bit of wit.

I reckon that if I just go with the flow then I end up a happier chap than if I were to complain about things. Just my way but I keep smiling anyways. Of course somethings sometimes go wrong but having a bash at the folk behind the counter when there is a big queue doesn't achieve much IMHO, apart from a general increase in temper both sides of the counter. All airlines have complaints processes so better to use that I guess or use a different carrier.

Anyways back same flight Monday......

Regards

Barney

t3953
21st Dec 2002, 22:11
Hello Barney Grumble,

NO Im not developing some lured online obsession with BEAline!!!

But some of the things he/she writes and the way its written really make me realise how much I miss working on the "ground"! It sure as hell beats the air in my opinion where your never flying with the same people. We had some similiar great characters in DUB EI and each day was always a barrel of laughs. This almost seems lacking as cabin crew depending on the mood of the crew of the day!!! But there you go, just my opinion!!!
Anyone else whos done both careers feel the same????

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Barney_Gumble
22nd Dec 2002, 10:53
t3953,

I understand, no offence meant. My post came across wrong.

I would think that having a team you work with all the time makes for good team spirit, so I understand your thoughts there sure.

I fly quite a bit as SLF and try hard to be special nice to the CC. Mainly becuase the flight goes quicker and seems to be more enjoyable. Aslo I read the forums quite a bit and realise you get some unecessary flak from PAX......

Merry Xmas :)

Barney