PDA

View Full Version : IE/OE won't remember passwords.

scroggs
29th Nov 2002, 21:16
I have a problem with a shiny new HP laptop running WinXP Home SP1 - Internet Explorer and Outlook Express won't remember passwords. I have three other computers in the house, two running XP/SP1 and one running Win98SE with IE6 SP1. I have compared the security settings of all of them and can find no discrepencies. Note: this is not the Internet Connection password problem - the computer remembers all my dial-up passwords.

Any thoughts?

amanoffewwords
29th Nov 2002, 22:21
Last time I had this problem it was something to do with Microsoft Family Logon v. Client for Microsoft Network - if my currently Shiraz-induced mind recalls correctly you needed the latter to have password remembered, but then it's been a long day today and I might be wrong - but I'm pretty sure the clue is with the network settings.

hth(a little bit)...

scroggs
30th Nov 2002, 12:42
Thanks, but that issue is about remembering your dial-up password, not passwords within IE and OE. As it happens, I have found the answer within the Microsoft Knowlege Base: 'Q26472 OLEXP Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained In Windows 2000 or XP'. The remedy involves removing the Protected Storage System Provider key in the registry.