PDA

View Full Version : Win98 ugrade to XP

aiman
29th Nov 2002, 15:48
Has anybody had any experience, good or bad, in upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows XP.
I'm thinking about it 'cause I'm getting fed up with blue screens of promised death!:confused:

expedite_climb
29th Nov 2002, 16:37
Do it - a lot more stable, better to use, and just nicer !! Check around for special offers and mail in rebates.

Jet II
29th Nov 2002, 17:06
As expedite_climb says - it is a lot better. However if you are thinking of upgrading and I assume that your PC is not of the newest vintage as you are still running WIN 98 - check that your hardware and any software that you want to keep using will still work.

The MS site has compatibility tables for most of the common stuff but you should always check with the manufacturers site about upgrading to XP.

I would not recommend swapping to XP if you don't have a least a 1gig processor and 256 ram. although I have loaded XP onto some 400mhz machines and although slow it still works.

Cornish Jack
29th Nov 2002, 19:39
Depends (to paraphrase Professor Joad) on what you need to do. I have XP (home) on one of my laptops. Had it not come ready installed, I would not have bothered. Stability? maybe, but it locks up on programmes which run perfectly on 98 - Thumbs Plus, for example. Basically, if you are prepared to upgrade other programmes to enable XP to do its thing, go ahead but don't expect miracles - Redmond don't do miracles but they are still very good at producing the Blue screen syndrome.
I still find it very odd that an OS which has been engineered to eliminate copying and which, therefore, by definition, must improve the company's profit, is put on the market priced in excess of its 'piratable' predecessor. No, on second thoughts, it's not odd - just standard corporate greed and I have no intention of subscribing unless it's unavoidable.
Finally, by hearsay, there is a marked difference between XP Home and XP Professional, not least in price. Apparently Mr Gates's merry men have decided that the big boys have needs which must be addressed and which would be 'pearls before swine' in the SoHo arena.
Now I must get off the fence and decide what I really think about Microsoft. :mad:

redsnail
29th Nov 2002, 22:56
aiman,
I have done it. I am now running XP pro. Sure, a few headaches but pretty stable.
If you get some problems like conflicts with the video card etc. Consider upgrading your motherboard bios. (flashing it).
All of my XP probs were cured by doing a clean install, upgrading the bios and changing the video card.
See my recent post for the hassles I had and eventual solution.

Lord Lucan
1st Dec 2002, 08:00
My experiences on changing to XP (on buying a new computer with it installed, rather than upgrading a Win 98 installation)----

I find it no more stable at all!! It crashes several times a week, just like every other windows version I have ever used (most of them)

It has a few nice tweaks on the interface - but nothing to die for.

All sorts of old software will no longer work - or will give you some sort of grief setting up.

I personally would not bother with an upgrade on an old machine.

Green Bottle 2
2nd Dec 2002, 18:22
I've just recently upgraded to XP with a new computer. It seems to be a better OS but time will tell. If you really want stability go for Linux - its becoming more accessible all the time and the only BSoD is the screen saver!!