PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow - Gatwick Helicopter Link

VivaTheBeaver
29th Nov 2002, 13:18
I was once told that there was a helicopter shuttle service between Heathrow and Gatwick in the 70's.

Can anyone confirm this and if there was in fact a service. I would be interested in any other information anyone may have either as a passenger or Crew, such as aircraft type, route, cost, reason for cancellation etc.

Thanks

VTB

Unwell_Raptor
29th Nov 2002, 14:07
I believe they were yellow S76s. They stopped flying when the M25 opened all the way round from LHR to the M23 junction, thus eroding their time advantage. I have no idea how much they cost but I recall that it was seen as expensive. The locals didn't like the noise either, and I recall that the service was seen as a stop gap.

When I were a lad there was a service from LAP to Battersea by S55, but it was little more than a token, and faded out.

Duke of Burgundy
29th Nov 2002, 16:12
Viva - just to add to Unwell`s info, it was operated by I think British Caledonian Helicopters and its registration was G-LINK (what else). I thought it was an SK61 but not sure about that.

It cost £12 for a single fare when the service started. Its operating certificate from the outset was planned to expire when the M25 between the M23 and the M4 was completed.

Its route within the London Control Zone was from Oxshott station northbound along heli-route H9 and it had a dedicated landing/departure strip just south of the runway 05 threshold.

When Terminal 4 was built the strip disappeared and the helicopter had to land on the southern runway and park on stand H38.

It used the Decca navigator system and so could operate in IMC and if my memory serves me correctly it was also capable of carrying out a CAT III ILS approach if necessary.

When inbound to Heathrow it would be cleared for a Standard Decca 28 or Decca 10 arrival ( depending on the runway in use), this was in the days of 28 Left and 10 Right of course, and enter the London Zone at 2400 feet.

Noise was a problem and so we used to try to keep it as high as possible for as long as possible both inbound and outbound.

I had a free trip on it once and it was ....well.... very noisy and uncomfortable but didn`t take long.

Hope this is of interest.

;) ;)

VivaTheBeaver
29th Nov 2002, 16:33
Thanks for the replies so far.

Perhaps now the M25 is mostly a car park the service could be resumed.

Gonzo
29th Nov 2002, 16:35
Not that I'd know for sure, as it was before my time, but always thought it was a Sk61. I don't think the S76 was around in those days either.

Gonzo.

ETOPS
29th Nov 2002, 17:35
As if by magic, heres a photo........

http://www.british-caledonian.com/images/heli/lk004dt.jpg

AlanM
29th Nov 2002, 19:44
Also see:

British Caledonian S-61 LHR-LGW link (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/156460/L/)

and

British Airways S-61 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/009389/L/)

cirrus01
29th Nov 2002, 20:49
The service was terminated by the then Tory government giving in to a few noise objectors along the route. ( A few Tory marginal seats at that time...........think the chief tw#t involved was Nicolas Ridley)

Funny thing was that the noise objectors still used to phone in and complain about the noise months after the flights were terminated.................perhas they could not distinguish between a civilian S61 and military Chinooks .

Anyway it was all part of the plot to drive BCAL down , and into the clutches of the just privatised (and consequently cash rich) BA.:( :( :(

hobie
29th Nov 2002, 21:09
I remember using the service a few times ...... the thing that sticks in my mind is all the swimming pools you could see during the trip!!!

cheers .....

ramsrc
2nd Dec 2002, 06:24
If I remember correctly, there were two different services. One was provided by British Caledonian and the other by British Airways.

I got the chance to travel on the British Caledonian Airlink once as a combined Christmas and Birthday present from my Aunt. I think it must have been 1979 because I was about six years old. It was my first flight and we flew from Gatwick to Heathrow. My Aunt travelled with me, and my parents drove from Gatwick to pick us up at Heathrow. Needless to say, we arrived much sooner than they did!

I don't remember it being uncomfortable, but I do remember it was noisy and it was wonderful! The flight was over before I knew it, but I got to go on the flight deck, meet the crew and even got given a (very battered) safety card as a souvenir. (I still have it, and some photos somewhere)

Gainesy
2nd Dec 2002, 08:29
I used it several times and it was not at all uncomfortable or noisy (if you were used to military helos anyway). Took about 15min and was certainly better than fighting your way round the M25 to LHR (I live near LGW). Should re-instate it, they'd make a fivetune.

spekesoftly
2nd Dec 2002, 10:01
As the photos show, the service was operated by SK61s. Callsign Northbound was 'Link1' and Southbound 'Link2'. British Airways Helicopters had a base at Gatwick, near to the old 'Beehive' terminal. The service connecting G'wick and H'row was still running in the early 80s. I believe that for passengers interlining between the two Airports, the air fares were inclusive of the helo transfer.

ppheli
2nd Dec 2002, 10:45
I don't believe BAH was involved in this route at all. It was only British Caledonian Helicopters

spekesoftly
2nd Dec 2002, 13:38
Maybe it was a joint BCH/BAH service? Certainly some of the pilots that flew the 'Airlink' route were employed by BAH - I knew two of them. I'm also pretty sure (subject to ageing memory!) that the helicopter hangar (where the S61s were serviced) near to the Beehive at Gatwick, sported a 'British Airways' sign above its entrance.

Attila
2nd Dec 2002, 17:13
The service was provided by a joint venture. The aircraft, G-LINK, a normal North Sea fit S61N Mk2, was owned by the British Airport Authority. British Caledonian mainline provided the check-in and air stewardesses and British Airways Helicopters provided the flight deck and engineers. Later, when manning level either fell or more North Sea contracts had been won - I can't remember which - BCal Helicopters provided the flight deck and engineers.
The girls who were full time on the link were issued with a slim line skirt, but those who were attached for short periods wore the normal kilt. If they forgot to gather all the lose material in the kilt before leaving the disk area, some unscrupulous flight deck members would pull a little pitch and tilt the disk slightly, thereby showing the world what the Callie hosties wore under their kilts:D :D :D

By the way, AlanM,

I have it on very good authority that the S61 in British Airways livery, G-BCEA, shown on the second on your hyperlinks, is hard at work in the Falkland Islands, along with one other. It is operated by British International on a military support contract.:) :)

ramsrc, there was only the one service:cool:

I know this because the wife of a friend worked for British Caledonian mainline at the time, and I was fortunate enough to be invited to one or two Link parties :D

Frisky Bunny
2nd Dec 2002, 19:45
I can confirm Attila's message as being spot on. The constructor's number of the helicopter was 61806, registration G-LINK.

The reason why it ceased operating was due to the terms of the route licence. The licence was only valid until such time as the M25 connected up Gatwick with Heathrow. The principle objectors to continuation of the licence beyond that point were the bus companies, not the owners of the swimming pools beneath.

The swimming pool owners in fact had the operating times restricted in order to give themselves peace and quite during the afternoons. Hence the service did not run between about 1:30 and 4:00 pm. Ironic really since the money used to pay for those swimming pools was no doubt earned from business ventures that probaly blighted other peoples lives. Tower blocks, etc??

Michael Hooker
17th Apr 2006, 22:09
As a resident of Horley, without a swimming pool, I remember well the familiar rattle of G-LINK in and out of Gatwick. And if you were on the spectator's terrace at Gatwick you would be treated to the sight of it heading straight for you from the West, then banking at the last moment and landing in front of the terminal. Occasionally other S-61s would be substituted, but G-LINK was the key machine used. A few pictures can be found on my website:

http://www.avphotosonline.org.uk/Gatwick/GatwickHome.html

Whatever the background of the operator, the markings were always British Caledonian blue and yellow/gold.

Michael Hooker

Mama Mangrove
18th Apr 2006, 22:06
BAH never had anything to do with the shuttle. G-LINK was operated by BCalH. It was not in being in 1979 because as speechless 2 rightly says, BCalHs first S61 was a dry lease from KLM Helicopters and the crews received their groundschool training in Holland in 1980. The interior was not the standard North Sea fit S61. Even after the service was terminated due to noise protesters, noise complaints continued to be received. 'Bishop' Bill Ashpole wasBCal's man on the job when it was running.

pstjgw
19th Apr 2006, 04:50
Mama Mangrove I'm afraid you're wrong. I was in BAH when the Link started and we provided the pilots and engineers at that stage, it may well have gone to BCal later. Maybe Soggy Boxers will remember.

chevvron
19th Apr 2006, 06:47
Late in the day, they tried moving the route between the two control zones to the west to try to placate the nimbys, exiting the LL CTR near Fairoaks then turning east to route just east of OCK. This resulted in a few close shaves with Farnborough PAR traffic and Fairoaks departures which those people who planned the route didn't take into account as it was open FIR; their brief was just to deconflict the routes when inside controlled airspace and as far as they were concerned, this airspace was 'empty' of (IFR) conflictions!!

Wycombe
19th Apr 2006, 09:31
Atilla,

G-BCEA was certainly in the S Atlantic in 2000 when I paid a visit. I flew in her to some very windy/desolate places.

This was shortly after BIH took over the S Atlantic Contract from Bristow's, during which time the S61s they used down there were known as "Eric's" :D

I've flown in G-BCEB aswell, out to the Scillies when I was about 15 - that was a *long* time ago and I think she's still going.

Andy Paton
19th Apr 2006, 16:40
Actually, I heard that several years after the link stopped some residents still complained of 'that bloody link helicopter' flying overhead whenever a helicopter flew passed!

Surely with the M25 now a parking lot it could be re-instated with something quieter (is there such a thing?):ooh:

soggyboxers
19th Apr 2006, 18:51
pstjgw,
How are things in the heat and sand? For once, MM'smemory has not served her right - maybe being retired she imbibes the odd drop of red infuriator too many of an evening! It did go to BCalH and I remember Bishop Bill, because he was a Mormon bishop and it was very handy for him being based so close to the Mormon temple in East Grinstead. Or maybe he too was BAH? I find that aluminium saucepans, my mother's milk and generally being a decrepit old fool tend to distort my memories of the past. Heck, I even have fond memories of the Brent shuttle :{
I agree though, that it's sad that the noise protestors stopped it. Maybe it could be re-started with one of the new generation quieter helicopters because the M25 can be a nightmare. I also heard the story (apocryphal maybe?) about people still calling in and complaining about the noise, long after it stopped. I also never flew the Link even though I did my 61 course in Holland with KLM helicopters, from whom we leased the machine which started in Aberdeen. Ah yes, the Callie hostesses and their kilts :ok: :D I flew in it as a passenger on a number of occasions and always thought it good value for the time it saved and its reasonable ticket price.

Opssys
19th Apr 2006, 20:34
Ladies and Gentlemen.
I don't usually visit this forum, but noticed the thread title just as I was exiting PPRune. As it is the ONLY Helicopter Operation on which I have any knowledge worth a d*mn, I was intrigued and even more so that there was so much discussion on which companies were involved. As there has been some disagreement, I will try to clarify.
This was a JV and the BAA was the registered operator of G-LINK.
BAH Provided Flight Deck and Engineering and BCAL the rest.
I don't remember a transfer of Flight Deck Crewing to BCALH. But accept by the time this would have occurred I would not have been 'Airlink' aware (other projects).

It was a superb example of a co-operative venture between three organisations, two of which at a commercial level were in a vicious fight.

The licence was indeed limited to the completion of the bits of the M25 that would provide a 'fast link' ( everyone stop laughing) between LGW and LHR.

The Noise Protesters had a field day with complaints even when the Aircraft wasn't flying (normally caused by Army or other Service Helicopters) and indeed they did continue for months after the service stopped.

Bishop Bill (I have been trying to remember his surname - now extremely
annoying as I can't so please help) effectively headed up the Airlink as an Operation and after the Operation Ceased, he was tasked with setting up the BCAL Commuter Operations Unit (which is when I had most dealings with him).
Last heard of (some years ago) as a member of the IATA London Office.

A surprising number of regular passengers wanted the service continued, the companies themselves were at least at operational level enamoured by its success. But the terms of the Licence were strict and of course the Flight Path, however it varied was always going to upset some influential residents, so once the Motorway Network did provide a 'fast link' it was the end!

On a personal note: I am almost certainly the only person who on boarding at LHR fell asleep and had to be woken by another passenger during the disembarkation at LGW (I had been awake and 'working' for 36 hours).
DIH

Cyclic Hotline
20th Apr 2006, 01:37
G-LINK is indeed a festering, rotten hull in Brazil. Abandoned outside in the weeds, where the bank still believes she sits as a serviceable, valuable aircraft!

Sad end for that machine.

Opssys
20th Apr 2006, 07:54
Many Thanks Speechless, for reposting Bill's Surname and the BCHL clarification.
A real shame about G-LINK.
I will leave you good people in peace and disappear back into the PPRune undergrowth,
DIH

chevvron
20th Apr 2006, 09:10
To my ears, the quietest helicopters at present are the MD series 'NOTAR' types. If they could produce one of these big enough to carry a viable load, it might be acceptable to re-establish services such as the Link, but the problem is, you'll always get NIMBY's who insist on objecting on principle in spite of all evidence that there will be no adverse environmental impact; they'll even produce their own 'evidence' attempting to contradict scientific studies and reports (usually from a retired scientist with no recent experience).
I did hear somewhere that someone was re-inventing the Rotodyne concept with an emphasis on developing it with low noise output; I must admit the one time I actually heard the Rotodyne (from my home near Bovingdon) I thought it was no louder than other transient types using Bovingdon such as a Hercules, but it was just a different type of noise. The 'tilt rotor' concept does produce objectionable noise of course, so would not be acceptable.

Agaricus bisporus
20th Apr 2006, 12:39
Chev, you'll have to blank out the windows so none of the delusional millionaire mares that live in Oxshott will be able to claim peeping toms looking at them in their swimming pools, which was one of the more risible claims made.

I used to spend quite a lot of time in and around Oxshottt in those days and the Link was scarcely audible above the main road traffic, and made much less noise than a neighbour's lawnmower. Complaints on the basis of noise were, imo, utterly spurious.

Should've done it in a Chinook, I reckon;) just to show 'em!

Attila
20th Apr 2006, 13:20
Wycombe,

G-BCEA is still flying in the South Atlantic, and long may she continue to do so.

Great pity about G-LINK though.

soggyboxers,

I still have fond memories of shuttling around the Brent and Great Yarmouth...........

ah, nostalgia, the S61N, queen of the skies :ok:

chevvron
21st Apr 2006, 06:53
I can well understand traffic on the A3 virtually blotting out the noise from an S61 at 2,400ft Alt. I've had UFO reports from that area claiming they couldn't have been normal aircraft 'because here was no noise'!!

oldpax
11th May 2014, 00:58
What happened to the Helo service between the two airports that ran about 80/81 ?I used it several times,was it uneconomic?

Andrewgr2
11th May 2014, 04:47
Try reading Airlink (helicopter shuttle service) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airlink_(helicopter_shuttle_service))

Capetonian
11th May 2014, 05:14
Brilliant, I used it a couple of times.

FLY 7
11th May 2014, 08:12
"£12 each way" and it was making money? :D

SpringHeeledJack
11th May 2014, 08:42
The S61's were no doubt expensive to operate, but the operation was perhaps subsidised by the airlines that benefitted from the interlining of high yield business and first class passengers, so although losing money, not at such a rate as might have been. Before the M25 there was really no easy road link, and then when it was built it became like a magnet that caused it to almost mimic the previous A and B road options. I wonder if today it would be quicker to take the Paddington Express, tube and then Gatwick Express between the two airports than by car service ?

ShyTorque
11th May 2014, 09:18
I understand that it was grounded because of noise complaints. It was so noisy that the complaints continued long after the aircraft was grounded....

SpringHeeledJack
11th May 2014, 10:05
I understand that it was grounded because of noise complaints. It was so noisy that the complaints continued long after the aircraft was grounded....

Ah yes the noise! One had a RN Seaking fly over one's humble abode last week at under 500ft ago on it's way to a hospital and the sound was around for a good half minute, which at least to me was welcome. I remember the airport link service flying certainly higher and that sound could 'hang' in the air for a good while. No doubt the wealthy residents of the Sussex and Surrey countryside grew tired of this aural irritant a few times per hour and that was that ?

Bravo73
11th May 2014, 10:33
What happened to the Helo service between the two airports that ran about 80/81 ?I used it several times,was it uneconomic?

They built the M25.

chevvron
11th May 2014, 15:17
The powers that be tried moving the route westwards to minimise noise in the Oxshott area.
They failed to take account of what happened in the uncontrolled airspace in the Woking area (in fact when we asked them, they said it was of no interest to them, they only laid down the route inside controlled airspace) and after several airmisses with Farnborough fast jets (Buccaneer, Hunter etc) positioning for the PAR they had to re-think.

Talkdownman
11th May 2014, 17:34
When oi were a lad we did it in the Westward Airways Islander...on an EPSOM 2…

lsd
11th May 2014, 18:33
One interesting by-product of this service was discovered within a few weeks of inauguration, in that a slight application of collective whilst awaiting passengers revealed stimulating views of the lovely leggy Caledonian girls looking after them........solution was to sew lead weights in the hems of their tartan skirts.

And the noise complaints...! one was a lady who said we sprayed oil over her washing line, OK the 61 had it's faults but from about 1500ft agl....!? and then the gentleman who complained about our noise who turned out to have been an artillery officer throughout WW2 and deaf ever since.

Basically, the privileged ones under the route wanted the airspace above to be as sacrosanct as their select houses and thus shouted down the opposing point of view.

Well,that how it seemed to us on the line...

oldpax
12th May 2014, 01:01
It was my first experience of helicopters and I did find it a bit unnerving going straight up !Only been in one other since then and that was from a rig in the gulf of Thailand although on this one (a Canadian built copter)we were given ear defenders!!!

Hedski
12th May 2014, 09:33
Maybe BIH could use their knowledge of scheduled services and one of the leftover 61's in Newquay to rekindle a similar service given the traffic levels on the M25 and the ever increasing cost of taking the Heathrow and Gatwick express trains. It's about 60 quid and at least 90 minutes that way, not sure about the bus fare but time will certainly be about the same. Then again, now difficult is it to get a heli airborne from LHR......:(

thelearner
12th May 2014, 21:29
I flew in this British Caledonian helicopter between LGW and LHR in January or February 1984. In the chopper with me were Canon and Ball, their wife's and kids.
It was not my first helicopter flight, had flown offshore on chinooks and s61's but that flight to LGW was my first fixed wing flight, and then my next as a young nervous lad was out to the Middle East. Great memories.

Edited to add, I never use BA now to go on holiday to any of the LGW destinations as they just fly to LHR and LCY from ABZ. The journey by road between those 2 airports with your luggage is a nightmare.

Boslandew
13th May 2014, 18:53
I heard one story about the route that my informant, a pilot from the route, swore was true.

On one flight in the early days there was only one passenger, due to fly to New York from LHR. Eager to impress any passenger, the crew invited him onto the jump-seat. He flew from LGW/LHR waxing lyrical about the experience. At LHR he thanked all the crew effusively and asked for his baggage. This, alas, was on its way to Beirut.

Just to confirm, the flight crew were provided by BAH - I nearly applied for the SVN - and Bill Ashpole was BAH, about No 3 on the seniority list when I joined in 1975. Contrary to one previous claim the S61 was capable of a Cat 1, not CatIII, ILS to 200'/500 metres if my memory serves me.

Democritus
13th May 2014, 22:45
Just to confirm, the flight crew were provided by BAH - I nearly applied for the SVN - and Bill Ashpole was BAH

Correct from inauguration until British Caledonian Helicopters provided both aircrew and engineers from 1984 until cessation in 1986...and latterly at some point Bill had joined British Caledonian Airways, still with responsibility for the operation.

snooky
15th May 2014, 22:00
There is an excellent and accurate article on the whole history of the Airlink here gatwickheathrow-airlink-2/ (http://www.ashpole.org.uk/gatwickheathrow-airlink-2/)

Politics killed it, and probably B Cal with it due to the loss of significant amounts of connecting traffic.
The transport secretary who finally killed it just happened to be related to a senior figure at RHS Wisley, a significant objector.

76fan
16th May 2014, 10:03
"The transport secretary who finally killed it just happened to be related to a senior figure at RHS Wisley, a significant objector."

Perhaps the same reason that Wisley was not chosen as London's new business aviation airfield instead of Farnborough way back in the early 1980's. Wisley with a few very expensive houses around it and Farnborough with a westerly approach right over the top of hundreds of "ordinary" people ......

superq7
16th May 2014, 10:57
snooky, I just read your link it's really interesting, thanks for posting it :ok: