PDA

View Full Version : DVD rw or CD rw

Zeppelin
29th Nov 2002, 08:44
Can anybody explain the differences between the two please

I know with a CD RW, you can store files, music etc onto a disc.
So these DVD RW:

1. Are they purely for recording movies?
2. Can they also store files/music?
3. Are the discs interchangable with each system
4. Whats the differance between the 2 discs

DVD RW seem to be a fairly new(?) thing, so for music/file storage is CD still the best way?

Might all sound stupid to the 'buffs' but to me a CD and DVD disc look exactly the same!

Thanks for any replies

spannersatcx
29th Nov 2002, 19:08
1. No
2. Yes
3. If you mean made on W98 can it be seen on XP machine, yes
4. About 4GB of storage difference.

You will need a DVD ROM drive to be able to read it though.

Background Noise
29th Nov 2002, 21:29
A writable (or re-writable) DVD is essentially just a higher density/capacity version of a CD. It can be used for the same files etc and movies that you can put on a CD/R but you can get lots more on it. You can get 700MB on a CD and 4.7GB on a DVD. For both formats R is write once, RW is re-write.

DVD writers and DVD roms can usually read CDs, but not vice versa. Set-top DVD players can read DVDs and CDs and often CD/R and CD/RW. Audio CD players can generally only read CDs, and then only when recorded in audio CD format.

If that's not complicated enough, there are different DVD writable formats eg DVD+R and DVD-R. There are re-writers which will write both standards (and read both) but those set-top DVD players which will read writable DVDs will usually only play one type.

BayAreaLondoner
1st Dec 2002, 03:28
Just bought a Sony DVD+-R/RW drive. So it works with DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW. I've only tried it with the +R and +RW media so far since that is what is readily available here.
Quite cheap too (<$300)

Background Noise
1st Dec 2002, 10:46
Is that the Sony 500A ? That's the one I'm going for - well worth reading the links I put on a previous thread about this about compatibility problems. They already do a firmware download fix though and ORAC says there's a 4x write patch out soon too.

Previous thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73401)

BayAreaLondoner
2nd Dec 2002, 02:30
Background - yes that's the one.
Had it for a couple of weeks now. I've just been using Memorex media and the single Sony DVD+RW it came with and have had no problems so far, although my NEC DVD-ROM drive doesn't want to recognise anything other than CD-Rs that have been burnt.
Anyway, the price I mentioned came courtesy of Dell, who had a special deal on a couple of months ago (prior to the launch of the drive). Still, whatever you get it for, I think it represents good value for money.
I use Nero to burn with or Dazzle DVD Complete if I'm making DVD movies, since that seems to be by far the best DVD making program out there for consumers on PCs at the moment (I tried a bunch).