PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Considers Asian Destinations

Wirraway
29th Nov 2002, 06:58
Dow Jones Business News

Australia's Virgin Blue Considers Asian Destinations
Thursday November 28, 11:05 pm ET

BRISBANE -(Dow Jones)- Virgin Blue, Australia's second largest airline, said Friday it broadened its review of possible international destinations to include parts of Southeast Asia.

The airline, which is jointly owned by U.K. billionaire Richard Branson and Australia's Patrick Corp. , will seek expressions of interest for its international services from Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei.

This follows approaches to several Pacific destinations, East Timor and Indonesia.

Virgin Blue said the broadening in its expansion options is "appropriate" given Qantas Airways Ltd. and Air New Zealand Ltd. are "likely to monopolize the Tasman." This refers to Qantas' plan to buy a 22.5% stake in its New Zealand rival, subject to regulatory approval.

Virgin Blue doesn't fly any international routes and has yet to decide whether to operate under the Virgin Blue name if it does extend its services offshore.

A deadline for expressions of interest from new destinations has been extended to Dec. 31

longjohn
29th Nov 2002, 09:33
What a joke!

Does Godfrey really believe the Singapore, Malaysian or Brunei governments will sling Virginblue kickbacks just for the honour of being 'serviced'. Of course they will forget about their respective national carriers in an instant. In fact, I'll bet the Sultan himself is probably on his way to Brisvegas as we speak, 744 full of $ and goodies, just to get in early and beat the deadline.

And who the hell are DJ anyway to be presenting deadlines?

I am sure Doc Cheung would bejust tickled pink that after he bailed Branson and Virgin Atlantic out now the Bearded one uses his 'other' airline to compete head to head with Singapore Airlines Downunder.

Then again, maybe he (and Corrigan) should read 'Losing my Virginity'. They may find that when it comes to partnerships (and share floats) the only winner is Branson.

All's fair in love and buisness.

Richard Kranium
29th Nov 2002, 13:11
Don't seem to hear them saying.."keeping the air fair" to much these days...funny that!......NOT!!.......:rolleyes:

Boeing Belly
29th Nov 2002, 20:45
Do Virgin Atlantic fly from England to Singapore?

knackeredII
30th Nov 2002, 07:19
BB,

No they don't, for info.

B772
30th Nov 2002, 08:53
I remember being told a number of years ago Richard Branson visited Brunei hoping to enter into discussion with the local airline.

He left with his tail between his legs when he could not find anyone interested in talking with him.

Hard to see anything in Brunei of interest to Virgin Blue