PDA

View Full Version : QF Mel-Bme nonstop

HOBAY 3
28th Nov 2002, 22:04
Qantas commences non-stop services to Broome from Melbourne
Sydney, 27 November 2002

Qantas will operate twice weekly non-stop services to Broome from Melbourne for the season commencing 30 March until 26 October 2003.

Qantas Executive General Manager Sales and Marketing, John Borghetti said the services would be operated by the airline's fleet of Boeing 737-800 aircraft.

"These non-stop services will mean a flight time of approximately five hours.

"Customers can experience the beauty of Broome for the weekend or for a week-long stay with the flights timed for departures in the early evenings of Fridays and morning departures on Sundays," he said.

Mr Borghetti said the airline now operated 30 services and more than 2700 seats each week to the popular west-coast destination from Melbourne, Perth and Alice Springs.

Issued by Qantas Public Affairs (2825)
Media Contact: Issued by Qantas Corporate Communication (Q2825)
Media Enquiries: Melissa Thomson

Email: [email protected]

:cool:

It is interesting that only last week, I was considering new thin routes that QF may open up. Mel-Bme wasn't one of these, but Syd-Bme was! Of the others, I considered re-opening up the Syd-Mky, Hba-Ool and Hba-Bne routes with 717s (the last two being my favourites of course!!!), as well as some like an Adl-Cns or Mel-Ayq or Syd-Isa, not necessarily using 717s. Other ideas???

;)

JetRacer
28th Nov 2002, 22:55
I hear local businesses in Broome were complaining with the recent airport closure for 2 weeks, something about 'no tourists, no money' :rolleyes:

However, the runway needed to be upgraded, and this was exactly one of the reasons why. Direct flights to the East coast is just a boon, and those same businesses that were unhappy, well, I think their cash cows will be returning in even greater numbers for them to milk.

Even talk on Virgin in discussion with Broome Airport, now wouldnt a bit of competition be nice!

Just my 2 cents worth..

JetRacer ;)

PS .. the early evening flights on the Friday night leave Melbourne at 1815 EST, and arrive Broome 2300 WST. Return flight leaves 2340WST and arrives Melbourne 0515 EST :D

HOBAY 3
28th Nov 2002, 22:59
Any idea why Mel was preferred over Syd??? Just aircraft availability or something else?

hoss
29th Nov 2002, 00:27
"Back when I was a Charter Pilot" :rolleyes: in Broome we used to get a high proportion of the tourist market coming from Victoria. I guess they were escaping the Victorian winters more so than people from NSW and QLD were avoiding theirs,simple.

Looks like the Charter operators are in for a good season,

Good Luck hoss :cool:

WalterMitty
29th Nov 2002, 02:30
Talk of long thin routes reminds me of when AN did lots of them.MEL-CNS,MEL-TSV,SYD-TSV,MEL-AYQ,MEL-DRW.They dumped them to go via capital hubs to up frquency on the trunk routes.Broome runway probably wasnt long enough to do directs before esp. with any WX/TFc on MEL and worse to SYD( its further I think) Can anyone give distances and relate to PER-SYD. The 738 would have the legs that the 3/4 didnt.

RaTa
29th Nov 2002, 04:42
Walter the great circle distances are:

BME-SYD 1821nms
PER-SYD 1768nms

Sorry I don't have the charts to work out a airways distance.

Capt Fathom
29th Nov 2002, 05:37
SYD BME 1821 nm
MEL BME 1675 nm
PER BME 903 nm
PER SYD 1768 nm

MIss Behaviour
30th Nov 2002, 00:08
Jet Racer

Whoever gave you those times brudder seems to have forgotten
the 2 hour time diff between VIC & WA in Eastern Standard time.

Just had a squiz at the QF website which gives the following times.

Melbourne - Broome
Sunday QF1050 10:20 13:05 4h45min
Friday QF1054 20:15 23:00

Broome - Melbourne
Sunday QF1051 13:50 19:55 4hr05min
Friday QF1055 23:40 05:45+1

Looks like the cheapest web fare return is $773.87 unless you happen to be staff that is. :rolleyes: