PDA

View Full Version : Trouble installing new graphic drivers..

timmcat
28th Nov 2002, 11:07
I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but need it pointing out..

PC is a P4 2.53ghz 512mb with a Nvidia GEforce MX420 64mb graphics card. Running XP Home SP-1. I'm trying to update the drivers to the latest set supplied by Nvidia, but when installed, and the system re-boots, it will only run in 8 (from my memory) colours. The drop down list in the display properties / settings only gives this option.. no 16 or 32 bit option available. Device manager shows that it has picked up the latest drivers, and that it is running them (it's not in VGA mode). Rolling back the driver to the previous state cures the problem.

I have tried this twice.. once (prior to installing the XP service pack) downloading from the Nvidia site the full 'Detonator' package, and secondly (after the XP patch) from the Windows Update service.

Anyone got any ideas?

Tinstaafl
28th Nov 2002, 15:07
Upgrade the new nVidia driver before installing XP SP1.

My Toshiba laptop with an nVidia graphics chip has this mentioned on the Toshiba support site.

Squiddley
29th Nov 2002, 07:43
You could also try Guru 3d (http://www.guru3d.com) where there's a program called "Detonator Destroyer" which will totally remove the detonator drivers. Then reinstall using the latest WHQL certified drivers (40.72).