PDA

View Full Version : PC locks up - WIn XP, AGP*4 ?

noblues
28th Nov 2002, 10:37
Having problems with my PC locking up -

Seems if I set in the Bios the AGP multiplier to 1* its more stable, I am using a M440 Geforce card that should run at AGP*4, but this makes the PC lock up much more frequently.

Is this a M'board problem (its an Elite ECS K7VTA3) or the Graphics card at fault ?

Strangley playing say DVD's is OK, but browsing say folder of 300 digital images will 9/10 lock it up ..... especialy if reading directly from the CD and paging down quickly before thumbnails have loaded ....

Also the PC can lock up just doing nothing on occasions ?

Any clues ?

Capt Claret
28th Nov 2002, 11:12
noblues,

as a computer neanderthal, I don't understand much of the terminology of your post.

However I am having a similar problem with my PIII HP, running Windows XP Pro.

The damn thing locks up if I 'drive' the mouse too quickly. The touchpad and all keyboard keys don't respond to any inputs. The only way to resurrect the machine is to close the lid (hibernate) and then wake it, or shut it down and restart.

Through trial and error I've found that if I don't have Windows Media Player open, I don't have the problem!

I wonder if there's any common thread in our problems? :confused:

scroggs
28th Nov 2002, 22:30
Make sure you have the latest NVidea graphics drivers (v30.82) and motherboard drivers installed (if VIA, the latest 4in1 drivers are v4.43). You may need to flash update your BIOS as well. Don't rely on WinXP update to find the latest system drivers!

noblues
28th Nov 2002, 22:46
Thanks for the reply's....

Finally solved it, it had to be either the Graphics card or M'board ...... Felt the ECS Elite K7VTA3 board couldn't cope with the GEForce DDR M440 graphics .....

Took the risk and changed the M'board to an Asus A7V333 ... ploblem solved ...... after hours/days of frustration thinking it was XP where the problem was ....

These problems are extreemly frustrating ....

At least now I have a very up to date Motherboard .... supports DDR 333 ... Raid ..... 6 USB's (2 USB2) .... great inbuilt sound etc etc (cost £77 from RL in watford ...) ......

I sometimes think PC's are electronic lego at its best ... sometimes it fits together and builds a wonderfull model other times although it fits together it doesn't do what it's supposed to !

TR4A
29th Nov 2002, 15:21
Finally solved it, it had to be either the Graphics card or M'board ...... Felt the ECS Elite K7VTA3 board couldn't cope with the GEForce DDR M440 graphics

I think it was the MB. There have been problems with lockups and video cards.

Good choice with ASUS.