PDA

View Full Version : templates in word

longarm
28th Nov 2002, 10:32
Can anyone tell me how I can scan a blank form into word and then use it as a template so I can type the details into the form and then print it out. I can scan it in okay but when I try to insert text it won't let me insert it in the actual body of the form. Please help !

gofer
28th Nov 2002, 12:22
If I remember correctly there are 2 ways:

1) Redraw the form as a Master/Template in Word - not the greatest idea, but can be smart if you really want to use it a whole lot of times,

2) Acquire (legally of course) a software package that can do aforesaid scan and conversion

There are quite a few - some better than others:

Just did a quick scan of the Web and got this on the first page of the first Google query
Try this (http://www.techwatch.info/software/view.asp?prodid=820)

Good luck, if you scan around and try a few - let us know what you found to be the best - or if you find a survey - the location of the results - thanks. Gofer;)

Background Noise
28th Nov 2002, 17:56
If you scan a form you get a picture of the form - not an editable document. To convert it to editable text you need some Optical Character Recognition (OCR) software. Even then, the OCR will have to guess what the layout is - ie spaces between letters can be spaces, tabs, carriage returns etc.

It might be just as easy to write the blank form from scratch. Then open it, add your words and save as a different name, or save the blank as a template (they've got a .dot extension - its an option below the line in which you enter the filename when saving)

If the form has to look exactly like a photocopy of the original, scan it and fill it in by adding wording in text boxes, which you can format to have no border lines.