PDA

View Full Version : An insight into the ATPL exams

mjkukin2
7th Jan 2002, 19:43
Has anyone got any insight into the course content of the ATPL exams, and if so is there a website where i can look which could answer the following questions

1. how many exams are there?

2. What type of books/notes should you look at to prepare you for the exams?

3. examples of past exam questions

4. are all the exmas written by one governing body, for example like AQA for a level exams, and if so do all the flight schools in the uk adhere to there exams and exam policies?

Blackshirt
7th Jan 2002, 20:47
1. 14 - usually sat in two chunks. Typically take 6-12 months to complete all 14.

2. Ones issued by an approved school - e.g. Oxford/ Bristol Groundschool.

3. There aren't any, although approved schools like the two mentioned above receive feedback from the CAA and therefore have a pretty good idea what's in them, thus they can provide you with realistic in-house mock exams.

4. All exams are from one governing body, namely Joint Aviation Authority (the JAA). In the UK, the Civil Aviaition Authority (CAA) administers the exams on behalf of JAA.

mjkukin2
7th Jan 2002, 20:56
thanks blackshirt

one other qs is there anywhere on the web i can see the type of course material that is required to sit these exams anything at all will be appreciated

Dick Whittingham
7th Jan 2002, 21:10
Try our web site at bristol.gs, or any of the other approved schools. We have links to the JAA and CAA where you can find all the detail on the syllabus and learning objectives that you would ever need.

In general, you will have to do an "approved" course, and the structure of the course is laid down by the CAA/JAA. This can be either modular (in bits) or integrated (all together) and ground studies can be full time or distance learning.

You will get your best advice from other wannabes on this site; the replies should be piling in by now.

Dick W

slim_slag
7th Jan 2002, 21:20
Pie

At risk of being flamed, you can get some idea of what the FAA ask because the question bank is in the public domain (Freedom of Information Act and all that). Answers are not provided, which is a shame as sometimes its not obvious what the correct one is :)

<a href="http://av-info.faa.gov/data/airmanknowledge/atp.txt" target="_blank">FAA ATP Questions</a>

Have fun....

long final
7th Jan 2002, 21:27
I have noticed the 6 to 18 month time period for the exams mentioned a few times here. Could someone clarify some points for me,

1. Is this time scale for distance learning, and if so what's the situation for full time students.

2. Regarding the time scale, taking 6-18 months to be distance learning, how many hours a week would a Jo Bloggs type student need to study.

3. How many times a year, and when, are the exams available to take.

Thanks for any advise.

LF

Paul Hickley
7th Jan 2002, 21:28
Underdown isn't too bad as a published example of the type of material and the level, although it isn't complete or up-to-date as the JAA syllabus evolves. But it'll give you an idea.

For most colleges, you can only get their course material by enrolling on a course. However, all the Oxford notes are published by Jeppesen and are for sale on the open market. They're quite expensive and you won't want to buy them all if you're just having a look-see, but I can give you web-sites or addresses to order say, just one volume, if you want.

Paul

[ 07 January 2002: Message edited by: Paul Hickley, Gen Nav Spec, Oxford ]</p>

mjkukin2
7th Jan 2002, 23:56
paul

i would appreciate that. if you could give me the address i colud look at some of the papers.

thanks for that mate

Paul Hickley
8th Jan 2002, 00:01
OK.

I'm at home now and I haven't got the addresses handy. But I'll post something on this thread tomorrow, when I'm back at work.

All the best,

Paul

mjkukin2
8th Jan 2002, 00:09
thanks a lot

Paul Hickley
8th Jan 2002, 13:53
'Underdown', which I quoted earlier is actually called 'Ground Studies for Pilots', by Underdown and various collaborators, depending on the subject. As an example, the 'Navigation' volume is by Underdown and Palmer, is published by Blackwell Science, the ISBN number is 0-632-05333-X, and the website is <a href="http://www.blackwell-science.com," target="_blank">www.blackwell-science.com,</a> and it's full of sample questions which are reasonably representative of JAA exams.

The Oxford/Jeppesen series come in 14 volumes. The 'Instrumentation' one is full of typical questions. They are available either from Pooleys or direct from Jeppesen. Addresses/websites are:

Sales and Service Department
Jeppesen GmbH
Frankfurter Strasse 233
63263 Neu-Isenburg
Germany

e-mail: [email protected]

Pooleys Flight Equipment Limited
Elstree Aerodrome
Herts WD6 3AW

e-mail: <a href="http://www.pooleys.com" target="_blank">www.pooleys.com</a>

All the best

Paul

[ 08 January 2002: Message edited by: Paul Hickley, Gen Nav Spec, Oxford ]</p>

prob30
8th Jan 2002, 14:17
Ground school for pilots is good, although i found the nav a bit hard going. Radio nav is excellent.

If you want to know what JAR want you to know check this out <a href="http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/fcl/fcl_information.asp" target="_blank">http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/pld/fcl/fcl_information.asp</a>

This will melt your brain, but dont worry...the course aint as bad as that. I am joe average when it comes to academia. No a levels, average GCSE's and no degree. My maths is hopeless, but i am passing the things. Any one can do it if you give it the time...I would recommend a full time course if there is any way, shape or form of you getting the cash together or reorganising your life - do it.

David Webb
8th Jan 2002, 22:35
e-mail me, there are not many of us professional pilots in the groundschool business. Don't turn down sound free advice!

David