PDA

View Full Version : Ops/Dispatcher wanna be........maybe.

pipl
28th Nov 2002, 07:45
Hey All,

Due to leave her majestys finest AWACS in the future.(fed up of going round in circles!) And I am interested in Ops/dispatcher as a future career.

I pose 3 questions.

-What qualifications do u need? As I see a few advertised around on the internet!

-What experience would be beneficial???

-Do companies openly employ?

I would be grateful for any information.

Rgds Pipl, in a very hot country far far away.........:cool:

You splitter
29th Nov 2002, 02:59
Pipl,

If you are fed up of going around in circles then entering civvy street as an Ops or dispatch bod is definately the wrong move!!
:p

Your whole day will be spend going around in em!

Seriously though I've worked with quite a few ex RAF blokes and most have not had any formal qualifications. Although these are coming more prolific they are not yet a prequiste for employment here. However if you wanted to work in the Middle east or the states you will require a license, which obviously has to be earned.

I dont know if others will agree with me but being ex RAF carries a bit of weight with Ops employers. Then again Her Majesty has done a great job of training you in the world of aviation which means us civvies dont have to spend much of our own money just converting you to the way it works outside of the military.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

pipl
29th Nov 2002, 17:47
Hey Splitter,

Thanks for the honest reply.

Its just one of many things I would be interested in doing, if & when I decide to fly my own way!! (hopefully, in a straight line.)

Then living next door to Norwich ' International' does have a slight appeal for the local boy.

But any info received will be gratefully accepted.

TVM :p

Buggs Bunny
29th Nov 2002, 21:37
Try Servisair at NWI. Not sure if there is anyone else.
At such a small 'international airport' you will prob do everything, check-in , clean, load, dispatch.
STN not too far away. They have Groundstar, Servisair and Aviance. Gstar have Ryanair and Go contracts so will be looking for staff all year round.

Before you do decide, its good fun but can be bloody hard work unless you like been shafted all day.

Good luck.

BB

pipl
30th Nov 2002, 04:50
Hi Buggs,

All noted.

P.S I get my fare share of shatftings. (no pun.)

TVM:cool:

Dont ever fly around in circles....it makes you dizzy!

VP8
1st Dec 2002, 12:06
PIPL

See yr private mail

VEEPS ;)

DH98
3rd Dec 2002, 05:54
pipl,

I'm local to Norwich and had my eye on them as a possible. However after a few enquiries I wouldn't go near them with a ten foot asbestos bargepole. Their airfield ops is manned by locally trained amateurs on 12 grand a year. They don't advertise as they can't afford to and don't believe its worth the effort, most of their candidates come off the baggage line or secuirty. There is little or no career progression and the current ops sup plans to be there for some time to come. They openly admit that it's a quiet place with little work, which suits their them, if you live south of Norwich I would cast your attentions wider and consider Stansted.