PDA

View Full Version : Partition Magic

BoeingBoy
27th Nov 2002, 18:43
Hi All,

No drama's this time, all is running well. However I have a desire to move the partitions on both my desk and laptop to allow larger C: drives.

Both are running WinXP home (OEM from Medion) on NTFS format with a small FAT32 backup E: drive for recovery files. I don't want to lose or change those.

So far I can only find Powerquests Partition Magic to be what I need. I note that version 8.0 is out for around £45 in the UK with an upgrade available for another £32.

Does anyone know of any good alternatives to this program or is it worth spending this kind of money on what will probably be a one time operation, and do I need the upgrade. I have an 80Gig HD on the Desktop and only 20Gig on the Lappy.

Thanks as always in anticipation.

BB.

Cornish Jack
28th Nov 2002, 09:33
BB
I have used PM (version 4) to do a partition split on one of my laptops and it worked a treat. The H/D was 48 Gbs and set up with XP Home. While I liked one or two of the XP functions, the use restrictions left me wanting 98 SE. So, I split it 15 Gbs to XP and the rest to 98 and, so far, no problems. In theory, PM4.0 is not compatible with XP but it seemed to be OK on mine - Dell Inspiron.
PM 7.0 was incorporated as a trial version on the 'freebie' CD for PC magazine for Nov 2001. Might be worth trying for a back issue. If all else fails, I have a copy so could, perhaps, get it to you.

BoeingBoy
30th Nov 2002, 20:22
Thanks Cornish.

I will leave a 'Dear Santa' note for PartitionMagic 8.0.