PDA

View Full Version : Just had that magic call from BA!

flying Dr
2nd Feb 2001, 08:06
Just had the call from BA to let me know id been successful with my cadet pilot application-thanks to everyone who posted info on the website- it definetly makes you more prepared for whats involved in the final board-

Does anyone know a likely starting date, and in principle if BA are happy to defer entry till say july 2001?

AssumeCrashPositions
2nd Feb 2001, 11:16
Congratulations! Hope you have the time of your life (you lucky b*****d).

SpeedBird22
2nd Feb 2001, 11:44
Congrats!!!

Its motivation to all of us to see people getting through. With any luck I'll be right behind ya!!

Well done again,

SB22

AJ
2nd Feb 2001, 12:01
Hurrrah for you!!

""For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake".

AJ

------------------
Good morning Buenos Aires

The man formerly known as
2nd Feb 2001, 14:27
Congratulations.

I've got a friend who wants to do this.

What is the deal on these cadetships. Do BA bond you in any way? I heard you had to pay back the £60,000 for the training, can this be true?

Point me at the sky....

Ferrari
2nd Feb 2001, 15:18
I had the same phone call in December and they didn't seem to mind me not being able to start until June.

flying doc
2nd Feb 2001, 16:55
Oi!

Snap on the names mate..and snap on jobs! E-mail me ASAP!!!!

Cheers :)

Flying Doc

rossco18_uk
2nd Feb 2001, 17:57
Hi there, just thought i would tell you how happy i am for you. I don't think i have ever been so jealous in my entire life. It has always been my dream to get onto that course. Im only 19 atthe moment, so i have plenty of times to try. Can I ask you, what age r u? How did u find the aptitude tests and tell me what was the final board like. Email me if u want and let me know. Id really like to know what the whole selection process was like from the minute, you applied to the minute you got the phone call. Anyway good luck for the future with BA, you are going to be so happy. Hope to hear from you soon,

Happy Flying
Rossco

Visual
2nd Feb 2001, 19:15
Flying Doc!!!

Congratulations....
You are about to embark on probably the worst year and a half of your life....

JAA exams, getting up every morning when it is dark to fly a frozen warrior...
PT1 to 5 and then that 2 hours of fun in a seneca with the man from the CAA...

No seriously though mate work hard and the highs far outweigh the lows.

In 2 years time when you get your wings and the equivalent of a normally taxed salary of 36K you'll know it was all worth it.

Chow Viz.

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Feb 2001, 19:42
Well done, yet another over the fence.

Enjoy,

Teroc
2nd Feb 2001, 23:54
Well done, and for one so new to Pprune :)
Let us all know how you get on...
One down another couple 'a thousand to go :)

Teroc

Sick Squid
3rd Feb 2001, 03:48
Well done, Dr! I was in your shoes more than a few years back and know exactly how you feel. It's hard, intensive work right the way through till you are on line, and beyond, but great fun, you'll make real friends and have some serious laughs on the way.

Enjoy!

£6

------------------
Poacher turned Gamekeeper...

Chintito
3rd Feb 2001, 04:00
Congrats Pete, nice one.

This should prolly be on another thread but i was just thinking that it'd be interesting knowing some of the stats of the Pprune BA recruits. For example what degree they did (if any), A level subjects, previous flying experience and previous occupation etc.

You could go first on this one Pete.

airforcenone
4th Feb 2001, 02:00
Well done, you'll love every minute (apart from your IRT)!

To The Man With No Name ..........

The bond is officially £200 per month deducted from your basic gross salary for five years (my maths says £12k). However, CEPs start on a lower scale (Yr1 approx £21k gross + allowances) and it takes until Yr7 to reach the full pay scale. Overall, it works out at approx £60k. Still, you don't have to pay upfront, which is never a bad thing!!

Harry Wragg
4th Feb 2001, 22:03
Well done DOC, just a quick post to let you know that the BA cadet scheme was the best 16 months of my life.

Work hard, play hard, ENJOY!

75TakenAlive
5th Feb 2001, 19:54
The best 16 months of your life?? Jeez...You must have had a pretty crap life up to now. Speaking as someone who has recently fallen off the conveyabelt at the end of the OATS scheme, I can safely say it is 16 months of blood, sweat, and tears.

Having said that good luck for the future.

Moly
5th Feb 2001, 20:43
First Post so please be gentle with me! I too made it past the BA final board in December. Thanks to all the helpful hints posted here (WWW's archived post was really great). To the two flying Dr's, have you heard when and where the next round of courses are going to be? I phoned BA last week and they just told me to "sit and wait"! I have to give my work two months notice so we might all end up on the same course.....

5th Feb 2001, 21:29
I'm impressed with the number of successful candidates posting on this forum, again showing the worth of this site. Being on the military side of selection I don't know what you've gone through, but well done anyway. If as many people apply as I am led to believe, then you are very privileged

Enjoy.

flying doc
5th Feb 2001, 22:42
008- Thank you for your comments, much appreciated. It has been a very long and hard process but I am honoured to be joining our flag carrier.

Moly- Drop me an e-mail so we can get in touch.

GOOD LUCK to all those in the British Airways scheme at the moment!

FD