PDA

View Full Version : JAA Approved Schools in California.

Determined
2nd Feb 2001, 01:29
Basically, are there any in California?

I'm hoping to spend the summer in San Francisco and hope to finish off the summer doing some flying.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

EX FTE
2nd Feb 2001, 03:23
http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf

Go to the link above; it and pages nearby should give you a list of all the CAA approved schools for the issue of JAA licenses. Since CAA is the ONLY JAA member approving out of europe training this is effectively the JAA list.

As a word of advice; where ever you go get them to send you a copy of their JAA approval notice! They maybe JAA approved for PPL but not anything else - they could stilladvertsie themselves as JAA approved!!

Good luck!!

EX FTE
2nd Feb 2001, 03:28
PS You will need Adobe Acrobat to read it!!

GPS Approach
2nd Feb 2001, 22:10
Determined,

Anglo American Aviation based at Gillespie Field in San Diego are currently authorised to train for JAA PPL's whilst undergoing the final approval process. The Chief flying instructor there is also an authorised CAA examiner.

E-Mail me if you want more info or go to www.flyaaa.com (http://www.flyaaa.com)

Regards,

GPS Approach.

------------------
Aargh, that was the taxiway we landed on!

rolling circle
3rd Feb 2001, 15:33
Beware of promises, such as that made above, of schools "in the final stages" of approval. The CAA will not accept training from schools unless they have, in their posession, the approval certificate.

According to the latest CAA list, there are no schools in California currently approved. However, an updated list is due to be published any day now so keep checking the link in EX-FTE's post above.

Trainee pilot
3rd Feb 2001, 17:41
ROLLING CIRCLE: (or anyone else)

You seem to be a man/woman of knowledge, here is my question. I am going to a flight school in Florida called OFT next week. According to the CAA, they have been there and the school has everything in place to be approved. The person that I have spoken with at the CAA over the last few weeks says that they WILL be approved but one thing needs to be done and that is to speak to their managing director who was on holiday at the time. I asked if it was still okay to do the Night/Multi JAA training out there or if I should try to find another school. The reply was that I should go out there and train as normal as they have a JAA examiner there and all the correct paperwork even though they are not yet approved. Then, by the time I get back they should be approved and there will be no problem.
Now, here is the question. The CAA recommend that I go there and train at a school that is not yet OFFICIALLY approved but it should be okay when I get back? Does this sound like good sound advise? It is now too late anyway to change as I am off in 3 days but am obviously a bit worried! The CAA representative was in charge of JAA overseas approval so I presume he/she knows what they are talking about?
Can anyone offer any help here?

rolling circle
3rd Feb 2001, 18:26
All I can tell you, Trainee pilot, is that the information I got from the licensing helpdesk about 3 weeks ago was that, from 31 January, they would not issue licences or ratings based on training from schools that did not have, in their possession, an approval certificate. Since this information was direct from the department that actually issues the licences, I have to believe it.

If, however, the (different) department that issues the approval certificates tells you that, by the time you get back, this particular school will have, in its possession, an appropriate certificate I suppose you have to believe them. In any event it's your money and therefore your decision.

Out of interest, the following is a direct quote from CAP 682, Part 3, 4, 5 & 6, para 9.4 and Part 7, para 7.4:

"An organisation may not commence, conduct or continue training courses requiring approval unless it has the relevant approval documentation in its possession"

On arrival at the school it might be wise to point out this paragraph and ask to see the 'relevant approval documentation'

Buggs
3rd Feb 2001, 18:38
Determined,

I went to UKFT (UK Flight Training) last September. They fly out of Long Beach CA. see www.UKFT.com. (http://www.UKFT.com.)

Buggs

EX FTE
3rd Feb 2001, 22:00
Trainee Pilot:

Given that the CAA man says the approval is coming; why not just delay a few weeks until it is all sorted out? If Giles (the MD) is on holiday and a chat with him is all that is missing then just enter the hold as it were!

I was at OFT in early December doing a little hours building. Decent enough outfit and they were just about to take delivery of 2 factory new C172SPs.

Orlando is fun - dont miss out on the social side of things!! Recommend the Orlando Ale House in Lake Buena Vista pretty much any evening!!

GPS Approach
4th Feb 2001, 03:09
Rolling Circle,

Anglo American Aviation have been training students for the JAA PPL for the last few months, and are currently still doing so, I know this because I have just passed my FAA IR there today.

If they are not authorised to train for a JAA PPL, then I find it a bit unusual that the 25+ students who have passed the JAA PPL at Anglo in the past three months have had no problem getting their licenses issued on return to the U.K.

Perhaps it is departments in the CAA that are confused, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Regards,

GPS Approach.

rolling circle
4th Feb 2001, 17:43
GPS Approach - That would be because approval is not required for PPL training until 30 June 2001. Trainee pilot's question related to the MEP rating which does require approved training. Perhaps it is you who are confused, rather than the 'departments in the CAA', which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

GPS Approach
5th Feb 2001, 02:32
rolling circle,

The initial author of the thread was asking about being able to do a JAA PPL in California. I responded saying he could do one at Anglo. You then replied:

Quote "Beware of promises, such as that made above, of schools "in the final stages" of approval. The CAA will not accept training from schools unless they have, in their posession, the approval certificate." Unquote

I wasn't talking about an ME or any other rating other than a PPL, so perhaps you have misread my response.

If you work for tha CAA and I have offended you with my comment about them being confused, then I apologise but in my dealings with the CAA particularly relating to FCL depending on who you speak to there you get different answers.

Regards,

GPS Approach

------------------

Geordie
5th Feb 2001, 03:01
RC, when you say "That would be because approval is not required for PPL training until 30 June 2001" - would that create problems for me on return to the UK in about early May this year hopefully with a JAA PPL, ready for the CAA/JAA stamp / issue of licence?

ZAZOO
5th Feb 2001, 04:10
Hey rc,

How ya doing, how's life in el cajun.
I did some training at AAA a while ago. congrats on your IFR, what was it like and by the way which approaches did the examiner make you shoot on your checkride.

Sure do miss N2901Q http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Regards
Zazoo

ZAZOO
5th Feb 2001, 04:44
ooops!!! that was for you GPS Approach,

Sorry about that rc, did read your reply on the other topic though thanks, now let's see where are my glasses?

Zazoo

Determined
5th Feb 2001, 20:20
Buggs,

I have looked at their website and am considering them for finishing off my JAA PPL. I know every school has its positive/negative sides, but what did you think of them yourself. Would you go back?

Thanks.

Buggs
6th Feb 2001, 19:35
Have you got an email address that I can send info to? I don't want to get into any arguments with anything that I may post - good or bad.
:)

Determined
6th Feb 2001, 23:36
Hi Buggs,

check your mail.

Thanks.

GPS Approach
7th Feb 2001, 16:44
Hi Zazoo,

El Cajon is fine, nice and sunny, unfortunately I'm back in cold, dreary blighty now trying to earn some more money to take the Single and Multi Commercial Flight tests, will hopefully be back there in March.

IR checkride was tough, I did the VOR approach into Oceanside (Partial Panel), LOC into Palomar and ILS into Montgomery with Simulated ASI failure. I'm glad it's over now I can smash those foggles!!

They haven't got N2019Q anymore though!

Regards,

GPS Approach.

------------------

ZAZOO
8th Feb 2001, 01:18
GPS,

I did the same thing except for the VOR approach which was into Brown Feild and that was immediately after departure from SEE right below the early morning arrivals into Lindberg, liked that one a lot.

I might just see you in AAA I will be going out to CA to do some twin flying after my holidays with my family in Africa in march and will be in AAA sometime in April for two weeks, keep up the good work, and once again congrats.

Regards
Zazoo

AirScream
13th Feb 2001, 15:58
ZAZOO maybe see you out there in April. I am hour building in a cherokee. Any chance of seeing how its done in a twin?
I could clean your windscreen and get the sodas!?