PDA

View Full Version : Achievable or not that is the question ?

MixtureToRich
1st Feb 2001, 13:22
Hello to all fellow ppruners being my first post I was after some advice.

I am just about to enrol on the PPSC DL course but have become a little bit disconcerted about some of the previous posts in this forum. It would seem there is a view that full time study is the only way to go to get through the JAA exams.

I understand that it is going to be tough, with motivation being the most difficult hurdle to pass. I was after some views from anyone that is on or has completed the JAA DL course and likely pitfalls I may encounter

many thanks in advance

scroggs
1st Feb 2001, 14:28
MTR,
I don't think anyone would deny that a full-time, residential course is the ideal way to acquire the knowledge for any important qualification. Howver, it's just not possible or practical for everyone, which is why Distance Learning courses exist. Many, many airline pilots completed their professional examinations through DL with all kinds of schools, without undue difficulty. Yes, it will require determination and a curbing of your social life, but it will allow you to go on earning a living while you study! Just before the exams themselves, you can sign up for a brief crammer at your chosen school to sort out any remaining niggles you have.
So, as the Open University has proved, DL courses are a practical, successful way to achieve qualifications. Whether it will suit you and your personal character and circumstances, only you can say.

Tip tank
1st Feb 2001, 14:41
I am soon to embark on the DL course too. I am also in the middle of a full time postgraduate degree!
I decided to add up all the hours in the day when I wasn't sleeping and decided that the 4 hours a day I could spare (plus weekends) would be manageable. Even taking a weeks holiday gives you 105 hours (15hrs/day) leaving 9 hrs/day for sleep and breaks. I am single, but I can imaging with a family it would be a little harder.
I think the key will be to keep focused and to set goals (pages per day etc.) Sending time continually reviewing old notes as well as learning new stuff is a good way to "hard wire" knowledge.
Good luck!

------------------
...was that TO or FROM?

foghorn
2nd Feb 2001, 11:59
A few tips about DL ATPL's (I'm in the closing stages of mine, been studying since last May)

- Allow a year, despite what the schools say.
- Don't under-estimate the size of the commitment: when you look back it will seem that you hardly ever be put down your textbooks for a year: don't expect to have much of a social/family life. Understanding 'other halves' are necessary.
- Having said that, make sure that you build some evenings and the odd weekend off, reward yourself with these if, for instance, you complete a module etc.
- Buy all the recommended textbooks. They are essential to give you a alternative way of looking at subjects. At ~£20 per exam they're cheaper than a resit (I will shortly have some second hand ones for sale, if Cron doesn't get to them all first :))
- If you ever lose motivation put your books down, take a trip to your local airport and watch the aircraft for a bit. Take a deep breath and just daydream for a bit. Hey presto, motivation returns :)

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 02 February 2001).]