PDA

View Full Version : **Problem**

Russ11
1st Feb 2001, 13:14
Hey everyone!

I'm 18yrs old currently on my year out from uni. Next year I will be studying Aerospace Technology (Hons)BEng at Coventry Uni.

The problem is at A-level my grades weren't anything liked I hoped! I got Geog C Physics D & Chem D. I was predicted alot higher.

I have passed aptitude tests,I used to glide I have nearly 3Hrs Solo (Too expensive to continue!)

Anyway I'm a little worried about my A-level grades
(but in GCSE i got 9 A-C [3*A/4*B/2*C])

If I apply to BA after my Honours degree will they reject me or will they consider my gliding as an advantage?

Many thanks to whoever reads and reply's.

AffirmBrest
1st Feb 2001, 13:36
Can't speak for those who have experience of BA, but most airlines/companies (mine included) shouldn't really care what your A-levels are if you have a good degree.

Most ask for min GCSE grades in Eng and Maths just to prove a minimum level of literacy and numeracy, and bluntly speaking, why would an airline care if you got an A or an E in Chemistry or Politics or other subject irrelevant to their business.

A good degree (2:1 nowadays) will show that you can apply yourself and are capable of motivating yourself and working to a high academic standard - ie. you are likely to succeed on the ATPL course.

And before I get all the usual replies..I don't mean that you NEED a degree to do the ATPL course, just in terms of you application form you have shown a level of academic acheivement that suggests you have qualities which will make you academic success more likely!

Other tips...keep gliding/flying. I'm sure if you were motivated enough then you could find a local college which had a gliding club if yours doesn't, and is probably the cheapest way to get yourself airborne!

And finally...you don't just have to apply to BA to get a Cadetship: Aer Lingus, Air2K, Air UK, BM etc. all run schemes that are worth finding out about.

Godd Luck!

jollygreengiant
1st Feb 2001, 13:40
A good degree will probably get you to the first stage of selection - after that it is up to you.

As for the gliding - I don't think it would harm your application.

Pandora
2nd Feb 2001, 19:47
All you poor innocent school leavers out there who worry about not having 12 A* GCSEs please stop wringing your hands and listen. Whether you have 5 grade A A-levels or 2 grade Cs, you have passed the minimum academic criteria for entry into BA. I have said this already on another post started today. If you are doing a degree even better. But what is really, REALLY important is to balance your qualifications with a demonstrated (ie. gliding, PPL, UAS, Air Cadets.....) and to have a life. By this I mean when they ask you what else you do in life besides going to college and plane spotting at the local airport you will have a rich and varied list of hobbies and social interests that you are good at and can talk/write with conviction about.

Lecture over, just remember airlines look for real people, not exam passing personality free robots.

Russ11 - don't let anyone or anything pet you off you final ambition. I messed up my GCSEs and my A-levels, and got run over just before my 3rd year degree exams, thus managing to cock those up as well, and still got into BA.