PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

BE20
1st Feb 2001, 05:52
Would anyone out there like to comment on leaving Canada for a Job in Europe. I hold an U.K. passport and am considering converting to JAA standards. 1500 TT with 1200 multi-turbine on various Beech aircraft. I know the conversion is rather lengthy and expensive, but what types of employment would be available to someone with my experience? Any advice would be great. I have post secondary education.
Cheers.

[This message has been edited by BE20 (edited 01 February 2001).]

[This message has been edited by BE20 (edited 03 February 2001).]

foghorn
1st Feb 2001, 11:56
BE20, I am no authority on employment prospests, but in the UK people with your experience seem to be getting straight into the RHS of a mid-sized jet earning in the £35,000 - 45,000 a year bracket. I think the turbine time will make a big difference.

Personal taxes are lower but general cost of living higher than Canada, unless you live well away from the rest of the population (read a long way away from the airport).

BE20
2nd Feb 2001, 07:53
Thanks for the help. Could I e-mail you? I need some real one on one advice. For anyone else out there with comments, please feel free. Thanx.

foghorn
2nd Feb 2001, 17:01
go ahead with the e-mail, however I don't have a CPL yet, so my knowledge is mostly second-hand.

BE20
3rd Feb 2001, 21:07
Anyone else have any comments? Wages here are approx 10,000-15,000 pounds, remebering taxes are higher but cost of living is much lower. Any more comments would greatly be appreciated............

FYWH
3rd Feb 2001, 21:48
BE20, I am currently working in Africa building up time, 1500hrs so far, with 500 on twin and 35 on turbine (F406).
I don't know what licence you hold, but if the previous posting on the new JAR regulations for ICAO licence holders was correct the the return back to the U.K will either be fruitless or expensive.
If you have any contacts in Canada for me to send my C.V, Please email
Good luck and keep us informed.

Cell city,No Radar, Another bumpy flight.

BE20
4th Feb 2001, 03:17
Thanks for the advice. The conversion process may be getting cheaper, as the Brits are looking at authorizing 1 school here in Canada to do JAA training for guys from Europe and locals with the passport. This would make it more handy, and far cheaper. My question still remains, what types of job prospects can be expected for someone with 1500-2000 hours in Europe (all turbine)?
Oh, my advice on Canada. If you don't have the licence and do have JAA licence stay away. Go back to Europe. Unless you have good time ,like 3000 plus. Even then regional/airline jobs are not a cake walk.
Cheers.

[This message has been edited by BE20 (edited 03 February 2001).]

Pilot Pete
4th Feb 2001, 03:45
Can't advise on the conversion, call the UK CAA and get an assessment. It seems it depends on hours/type as to how much they deem necessary to convert your licence.

As for jobs, there are plenty for pilots with 1000hrs+ on anything. Your turbine and multi time would see you snapped up by a turbo-prop regional. The pay varies from terrible to ok (about £17000-£23000 for f/o's).

If you really are committed and spend several months 'hammering' the jet operators you stand a reasonable chance of a rhs in a holiday charter jet (757/A320)/ smaller jet schedule (146/737). Pay is better (between £20000-£40000)but it is not easy even with your experience. The low cost jet carriers are in strong competition at the moment, but they still want a 737 rating for employment, and they seem to be getting them.

My thoughts would be;

1 see how much it will cost to convert.
2 factor in the expense of moving etc
3 consider what that could get you at home in terms of experience/ job prospects
4 appreciate that a turbo-prop job on low-ish wages with a high cost of living may be the best you can get.
5 then decide

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

PP

BE20
4th Feb 2001, 08:29
Thanks PP. Any advice at this point will make a decision to follow this up easier. My big concern is making a "considerable improvement" in what I am doing. Not really a money thing, it is all about flying bigger machines. I would also like to spend some time living in Europe. Who knows, with the taxes and all the other B.S. in this country, I could easily stay. Any way of contacting you via e-mail?? Thanx again.
Again, anyone with comments feel free........

Pilot Pete
4th Feb 2001, 21:45
Yeah I must ammend my profile to put it in:

[email protected]

Cheers

PP.

ps. I am away all week from early Monday.