PDA

View Full Version : Going out to Maun more than Once

Wireless
26th Nov 2002, 17:24
Hey folks

Do any of the guys that go out to Botswana for the seasonal jobs stay there until the next season. Are there any other jobs around during the Winter? If not does that mean that if you wanted to come back the following season then you would have to start networking again or is it usual that your previous employer would just take you back on? How much can a Pilot in Maun expect to earn (I assume approx $500/month)

I am still working on my FAA ticket. I am currently upping my X/C time as well as juggling truck driving with studying the groundschool books.

Are there any other places like Zambia or Zim that are a possiblity for small plane VFR work? I am doing the strange route of training for the FAA CPL before the IR due to the fact that initially I won't have the money for the IR for a few years and from a previous thread I gathered that it may be hard to keep current whilst flying tourists around. I plan to do it a year or so afterwards.

And (Big Breath) Finally! If any Pilot's have just got back from Maun, then it would be interesting to hear how they got on.

Thanks guys, definately the best forum on Pprune!

Bill

aiming high
29th Nov 2002, 10:10
Worjking in Maun is full time, no such thing as temoary employment! Most people stay there about two years!
Best time to go and look for a job is January and expect to camp there for a couple of months, you will need full comm licence!
Good luck, was a fun place to be with good guys to work with.

Wireless
29th Nov 2002, 20:33
When you say a full Commercial licence do you mean that an instrument rating is required as well. I am studying for a CPL but I was intending to delay doing the IR. I was under the impression from other guys like Kiwi Flyer that Maun tourist work is all VFR stuff.

Oh, have you just returned from Maun? Diid you find it hard to find work there, as I have heard that it is getting more and more popular as a destination for Pilots.

Thanks for replying aiming high,

Bill

aiming high
2nd Dec 2002, 12:23
do not need IF rating as is all vfr work although some of the guys might require you to have one just for the interview process. Is hard to get a job there as there will be plenty of pilots up there looking for woerk in the new year which is whent he guys will be employing. There should be one or two jobs up for grabs then, only way to get them is to go there.
Is pupular for pilots. C206, islander and caravan flying there at the moment.
Good luck!