PDA

View Full Version : Realistic time frame for FAA PPL

mutt
6th Jan 2002, 13:51
A friend is planning to go do an FAA PPL during the summer, what would you consider to be a realistic time frame to complete this course?

(This is for an American, so please dont start talking about the benefits of training in the UK)

Mutt.

Matthewjharvey
6th Jan 2002, 15:12
Got my FAA PPL during summer vacation from college, flew about 5 times a week, took 6 weeks. Could do it it quicker I suspect but the most time consuming aspect is the theory to be learnt. Studying for the written test is very easy, however the oral requires a really thorough understanding. I would recommend doing as much reading as possible before starting the PPL.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Jan 2002, 21:00
mutt,

First it depends on where your friend is looking to learn. Weather can still be a factor in the Summer.

Five weeks is a good timeframe, if your friend is going to train full time, flying twice a day (2 hour slot per flight), with some groundschool each day.

It can be competed in less time, but that means more pressure to finish the course.

Happy Flying,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

mutt
8th Jan 2002, 10:02
Oops, sorry for the slow response......

Anyway, 5-6 weeks sounds great, but I sincerely doubt that he can get that much time off. So can this time be reduced by:

1: Doing the ground school in a foreign land with a FAA AGI and getting signed off for it? (Part 61)
2: Doing the written exams before arrival?

As for the weather, I'm suggesting some school on the west coast of Florida around April.

Cheers.

Mutt

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Jan 2002, 11:48
mutt,

How much vacation time does your friend have to obtain his PPL?

The FAA PPL can be done in less time. The record for a student completing an FAA PPL 0 to license at my school is 2 weeks, but I do not recommend it. Weather has to be perfect and your learning curve must be perfect too.

Does your friend have any flight time already? (All flight time with an instructor and all supervised solo counts.)

Studying for the FAA written in advance helps too. Sitting down and taking the FAA written exam in the first week will remove a lot of pressure and help concentrate the study on the knowledge needed for the oral portion of the checkride.

Reading the course material in advance will again shorten the time needed.

Hope This Helps,

Naples Air Center, Inc.

DownIn3Green
9th Jan 2002, 06:37
Mutt,

I replied before but I guess the computer misfired.

I did a PPL in 30 days exactly when I was actively CFI'ing. It was a push. I don't recommend. There are too many variables such as wx, maint on a/c and student ability. To sign up for a course with lofty goals and not being able to realize them can only lead to dissapointment.

NAC is right in the 6 week window.

By the way, how did things work out in the "Big D"?

mutt
10th Jan 2002, 10:25
Richard,

Thank you for your responses, you will be getting an email directly from this guy in a couple of weeks when he finishes his IGI certificate.

{edited}Richard, dont you ever sleep.... I have removed my comments to allow you the opportunity to check. Goodnight.{edited}

DI3G

How's life? With Richard telling us about the delights of training in Naples and you to tell us about the night life, how could anyone avoid going there to training??? You should start asking for commission! (email on the way.)

Cheers.

Mutt

[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: mutt ]</p>

Naples Air Center, Inc.
10th Jan 2002, 10:39
mutt,

We are up to date on Email. I will check in the morning to make sure you did not slip through the cracks.

If we missed you, my sincerest apologies.

Good Night,

Naples Air Center, Inc.