PDA

View Full Version : To old or just realistic !

Old Bill
1st Feb 2001, 04:30
Any body got any advice (be gentle)im 39yrs old and looking to take up commercial flying as a career.
Left it a bit late I know and when I read all this stuff from these young and thrusting types I wonder if I am doing the right thing.
The time is right, no morgage, little bit of funds and intending to do it whilst continuing work in a succesful career but of course the worry is will there be a realistic chance of a job when I complete in a few years time. Or are the odds stacked that heavily against me before I start?

Cheers Dave
keep the chins up!

scroggs
1st Feb 2001, 04:48
Dave,
our illustrious leader, Capt Pprune himself, was around your age when he elected to leave the subtle charms of the IT industry for the art of commercial flying. He's now driving 757s for one of our leading airlines. So, no - it's not too late. However, it's not common for people to take this route at your age, so there will be many extra hurdles to face - not least the interviewers' natural predisposition toward young candidates. This is a fact of life in almost all fields, and is in no way restricted to aviation.
You'll find that your colleagues at each stage of training are 15 - 20 years younger than you, for the most part. However, your experience of the financial realities of life will make you both an example, and mentor, to the youngsters, and an attractive prospect to a realistic employer.
So, go for it! You will hate yourself forever if you don't reach for this dream. You will suffer disappointments and setbacks, but the end is worth it - just as long as your motivation is vocational and not financial!

4144r
1st Feb 2001, 06:49
old Bill
I will turn 42 in 1 month, and working actually on my FAA atp...
good luck

MJR
1st Feb 2001, 13:55
I'm nearly 36 and in my training experience I've met a number of people significantly older than myself. According to a study in Flight International about 5% of airline pilots come from a background where people change careers late in life. In many cases I would imagine that people need several years steady employment in order to fund the training.

And finally there is a window of opportunity for more mature pilots in some smaller turbo prop companies as they need pilots who are not looking for a useful stepping stone into larger jets.

cheers

MJR

2nd Feb 2001, 05:01
Seems that we are in the same boat Old Bill, see replies to Advice age/experience in this forum.

JimNich
3rd Feb 2001, 00:07

You just beat me to it (if 19 hours can be counted as "just").

My plan is to get my JAA CPL completed in the 'States this summer, get a multi rating next summer and finish it all off in summer 2003.

Realistically I'm aiming at twin turbo prop and hoping that even that's not pie in the sky. I know a lot depends on what the market is like at the time but fingers crossed. I'll be nearing forty when I hit the streets and as I said before the guys who've preceded me have not faired well.

I did my FI course last year as a back-up so if the worst happens hopefully I'll pick up an instuctor's job somewhere.

Sorry to be such a gloomy b@stard but I'm at the stage where I need a huge motivation injection.

Old Bill
3rd Feb 2001, 00:17
what can I say...thanks to you all for your views...I plan to pursue my dream and if I don't end up with a living it will be a enjoyable hobby.
What ever happens I realise it gonna be a challenge.
Cheers.... Dave

eject
3rd Feb 2001, 05:40
And I'm another ..... staring 41 in the face. Planning to start .... well, I have 25 hours so a long way to go. I hope to go to the US in early summer, complete PPL and build up to 150 or so hours etc. then ATPL exams and so on.
You guys are all an inspiration, exceptions to more than one rule. Why shouldn't we all just go for it! See you at 37,000 feet.

old-timer
3rd Feb 2001, 13:20
old un's deserve a chance,

go for it,

------------------
#####################
So much sky,
so little time :-(
#####################

Capt Pit Bull
4th Feb 2001, 02:26
I'll be the usual voice of dissent and recommend against it.

If you do a search against my username in this forum you will find a bunch of threads about this and related topics. Have a read.

CPB

BIG MISTER
4th Feb 2001, 02:52
THERE IS LIFE AFTER 'THE JOB'.

GO FOR IT MATE ! ! !

BIG MISTER
4th Feb 2001, 21:39
If youve not read it already have a look at Pilot Petes 'story' its well worth a read and a bit of light at the end of a long tunnel !http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum2/HTML/008009.html

robione
5th Feb 2001, 08:18
Well chaps and ladies,im 42yrs ,on Saturday i passed my JAR/CPL/ME on an Aztec at L,POOL,and not a lot is going to stop my march forwards,men like myself can be compared to cheese and wine.The more mature they get,the better they get.Have,nt stopped grinning yet.

albatross honk honk
6th Feb 2001, 01:01
excellent robione but how are you going to keep the flies out of your teeth

------------------
If you want to soar with the eagles, don't run with the turkeys!

Dragger of Tail
6th Feb 2001, 17:06
I have reached 40 and have decided that it is a good age to give up looking for a job.
In seven years of looking for work I have never met anyone who was over 35 and successfully hired. I did know of one who was 38, he had over a 1000hrs, but he was chopped from the type rating course.
I am sure someone, somewhere has made it, but it must be quite rare.
I know that any mature wannabees will ignore this, and quite rightly so. Just as I ignored people who advised me to save my money, but do not underestimate the size of the hurdle you face.

BIG MISTER
6th Feb 2001, 17:26
A sad tail indeed - Dragger !

Can you tell us the full story or is it too horrible ?

Its great reading all the stories where people are luck and make it e.g 'Pilot Pete' (Hard work but now - The lucky lucky b....)

But its also 'educational' to read up on those of us that dont always come up smelling of roses !

Dont let the B.....ds grind you down !!!

BIG MISTER
6th Feb 2001, 17:31
Hot off the press

Have a look at 'sea dog'
Never too old to fly

Dragger of Tail
6th Feb 2001, 19:07
No its not too horrible, I don't think I would change anything even if I could. I was never committed enough to build the required hours(I only have about 500). If you are going for it, and you are older than your late twenties, you need to be prepared to build some hours. This is not as easy as it sounds. Do not gamble on getting hired straight from flight school.
Good luck.
ps: Get to know someone. Its not what you know.