PDA

View Full Version : Buffer Overrun - Burn Failures

Scallywag
25th Nov 2002, 10:55
Have searched but can't find a previous thread on this topic.

When trying to download a skin for Musicmatch Jukebox, I get the error message "Buffer Overrun Detected" .......a buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the programmes internal state. The programme cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

Also when burning cd using Nero 5.5 the writing buffer never becomes active, so every burn fails. The read buffer works ok.

Both my machines are using XP and same versions of Nero and MMJB, and it all works perfectly on the other machine. Only thing I'm aware of that I've done is install SP1 on the machine that's having the problems.

Any ideas as to what the Buffer I've done :o ??

BlueRobin
25th Nov 2002, 13:36
Um...you've bought an El Cheapo unbranded CD Burner?

SpinSpinSugar
25th Nov 2002, 14:15
I think pretty much all current CD-RW drives sport some flavour of BURN, or BUffer overRuN proof system which as I understand it puts the brakes on the write process if it's in danger of going faster than the data stream coming from your computer. Ergo no lost discs. Who makes your drive?

fobotcso
25th Nov 2002, 15:32
If the hardware in the two PCs is the same, the problem is probably caused by that SP1. It should be a simple matter to remove SP1 (use the "Restore" facility or an uninstall routine?).

Failing that is there another application running on the "bad" PC that is not running on the good PC? For example, Firewall, AntiVirus, FastFind (ugh!), Textbridge Instant Access (that's a known crippler), etc.

Sorry if this is too elementary, but I can't think of anything more inspirational. :(

Scallywag
25th Nov 2002, 15:33
Um... No Robin, and thanks for the input :rolleyes:

Spinspin, it's a Freecom Classic external usb, been using it successfully for a couple of years on 2 pc's and my laptop. Have the latest drivers etc. and am just getting these errors on one computer.

Thanks Fobotcso, I'll go check now :)

Scallywag
29th Nov 2002, 13:35
Fob, I booted 2 machines up and made sure all same processes were running in Task Manager on both machines. Made a playlist in MMJB (take a break from nero). The buffer was fine on both, but still get the burn failure on one machine ? No messages to help unfortunately.

Anyone know of any utils or any other ideas of what to try next ?

fobotcso
30th Nov 2002, 19:54
Did you remove SP1?

Another possibility is that the drivers are not the same. Suggest you go through the Device Manager routine to see which driver files are being used and reinstall if not the same.

Wouldn't do any harm to uninstall the CDRW Drive, then go into ADD/REMOVE Hardware in Contol Panel and look at hidden devices and remove any other examples that may be there. Then reinstall using plug n'play.

The reason I suggest this last routine is that I had a fractious external CDRW Drive on a Win 2000 machine that Nero 5.5 couldn't find sometimes. When I did the above, I found about 4 other cases of the drive. Once these were deleted, and the Freecom drive re-connected, all was well.

stickyb
1st Dec 2002, 06:32
I would think that the buffer overun problem is different from the burn problem.

Buffer overuns when downloading are usually inidicative of some nasty person trying to exploit a loophole in a piece of software and send you some deliberately crafted piece of code ( a bit like a virus)
I would not trust the skin.

spannersatcx
1st Dec 2002, 11:58
Buffer UNDERRUN is a CD writing problem, Buffer OVERRUN is another thing entirely, this from MS Microsoft Security Advisor Program: Glossary of Terms An attack in which a malicious user exploits an unchecked buffer in a program and overwrites the program code with their own data. If the program code is overwritten with new executable code, the effect is to change the program's operation as dictated by the attacker. If overwritten with other data, the likely effect is to cause the program to crash.
don't get confused between the two.

This search in Google will give you some places to look Google search (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22buffer+overrun%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=)