PDA

View Full Version : So close, but so far???

JIP
6th Jan 2002, 00:55
Hi, im new here just moved from Airliners.net.
I recently had my followup interview with ACLO for the Navy(nice bloke) i have huge ASPIRATIONS to be a pilot, i have been for RAF and Navy interviews. They both think i have very good prospects, mentally, physically,e.t.c.
However i have a "very slight stamma" the Navy ACLO said, my heart sunk, he said its not a problem is this true??.
Its slight, and more of a phycological thing, nerves i suppose, but i don't get nervous in exams , driving lessons or anything i think he phased me out STUPID I KNOW!!.
Anybody else like me?? will this be a set back???
THANKS!!

cln 7r
6th Jan 2002, 23:47
A few months back i attended a perf A course and we had the usual introductions stand up introduce yourself etc...

Anyway to cut a long story short this guy had been in the RAF for years and he had some difficulty with a stamma, but he had flown for something like 10 years as a fast jet pilot!!!!!!

diddnt seem to affect his career.

AeroBatfink
7th Jan 2002, 03:51
Hi Springbok!

I'm going through the Royal Navy Pilot application process at the moment - I did the AIB last year, didn't get it this time but they recommended I should try again in 12 months - it should be a bit easier with previous experience of the board. Email me if you want to swap ideas/experiences etc.

By the way... Is your name Springbok anything to do with SA?

scroggs
7th Jan 2002, 04:03
If your stammer is purely nerves-related, it can be addressed by confidence-building measures - which the services are well able to provide! It certainly wouldn't seriously affect your chances of selection unless it was quite severe and unlikely to be improved by such methods.
However, before your next set of interviews, it may be worth putting yourself in nerves-inducing situations. If your school/college/university/whatever has a debating society or amateur dramatics club, consider joining. If those don't appeal, try offering yourself to give talks on your ambitions to the local ATC/Scouts/RAFA/Womens'Institute etc. I'm sure you get the idea! You'll learn to relax in stressful situations, which can only help. And the Navy will appreciate the effort you've gone to to alleviate the problem....

JIP
7th Jan 2002, 20:22
I can't thank you all enough i thought it might be my achelees heel(sorry about spelling), seems it won't be with a bit of work on my part.
THANKS!!
(Springbok is to do with SA i went to Johannesburg out of LHR, and was able to get on the flight deck of the B747-400(amazing) and speak to the pilot and FO cool guys gave me tips and hints , and it furthered my passion for Aviation and to become a pilot)