PDA

View Full Version : Server communication problem

2WingsOnMyWagon
24th Nov 2002, 19:29
Im having trouble connecting to servers , i.e. MS gaming zone, VATSIM etc etc. I just keep getting "failed to connect to server". Im running Win ME, got 256megs RAM and using a standard 56k modem narrow band. Can anyone help me with this? I can download files and have no site restrictions.
Its driving me nuts:mad:

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
24th Nov 2002, 21:05
On any particular dialup, does everything fail to work, or just some sites ?

2WingsOnMyWagon
24th Nov 2002, 21:22
Its the same everytime i dial up. I get on to the network (freeserve) and I can go on to sites like PPRuNe and I can download stuff from anywhere but if i try to play any multiplayer games, use telnet or anything that i would call two way communication i just wont connect. :(

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
24th Nov 2002, 21:39
In that case it sounds like a firewall problem. I assume, since you haven't mentioned it, that you haven't installed or changed anything at the time this problem started ?

Do you have a firewall installed which auto-updates itself ?

On a slightly different tack, you mention that you use Freeserve: we have noticed at work that some of our users who dialup using Freeserve have started having problems connecting with their VPN software, whereas others haven't -- we haven't quite got to the bottom of this yet, but it appears to be related to the part of the Freeserve network to which your dialup connects you. Has you phone number which you dialup to changed ? You might try contacting Freeserve and seeing if they can give you different numbers which connect you to another part of their network.

[Edited to add] the significance of the Freeserve connection issue is that they might be adding some internal "firewalling" to their network which might be causing this problem.]

HTH,

2WingsOnMyWagon
26th Nov 2002, 08:24
Ive checked my firewall and thats not the problem. Freeserve say that there should be no problem but they admitted to having a few technical probs at the moment, which they say should sorted in a couple of weeks. cheers for your help RTFM ill keep you posted.