PDA

View Full Version : Caiguna overnight?

Max Range
24th Nov 2002, 09:11
Planning a flight from Albany to Moorabbin and wondering if anyone has stayed overnight at Caiguna - what's the motel/roadhouse like? And why is a Readymix sign the major local attraction??

Jamair
24th Nov 2002, 09:23
Can recommend East-West motel at Ceduna, or Forrest aerodrome (Les).

Aviation_sl#t
24th Nov 2002, 12:45
Caiguna is O.K for a stay, the taxiway to the fuel pump is pretty thin, runway is fine. Food is good. Readymix sign is a little hard to spot at first.

AS

Towering Q
24th Nov 2002, 13:10
Do they still have paper bath mats and rock hard water?:eek:

compressor stall
25th Nov 2002, 04:37
As said above, the readymix sign is rather difficult to see (we were at 3500' I think) as it is overgrown and eroded slightly.

Was in the Guiness book of records at one stage as the largest sign in the world. ******ed if I know who for though...was it visible from 30000'+ ? and does the PH - ML/AD ATC or Great Circle route track over Caiguna?

Ausatco
25th Nov 2002, 08:25
At the time the sign was constructed (late '60s) Readymix was a large, national concrete supplier and mining, construction and infrastructure-building was big time in the West. Readymix as a brand was prominent then, but I think was long ago swallowed up into the CSR/BORAL/Pioneer conglomerate or whatever, but the shadow of their trademark lingers in the West Aus semi-desert.

Readymix bulldozed the sign in the landscape, I suppose to advertise their wares in those halcyon West Aus boom days. I remember seeing it very clearly from about 21000ft in an Ansett L188 when the then DCA sent me from Melbourne to Perth on my first posting in November 1969.

Cheers

AA

the wizard of auz
27th Nov 2002, 10:25
Its not so bad there......people are a bit clicky but are alright when you get to know em.......... Take your own grog coz they dont have a licence any more. fuel was a bit exxy though.

Capt L
27th Nov 2002, 12:15
If you want somewhere close to your accommodation try Nullabor Motel.

From the airstrip you just taxy up to the back of the motel, park and then it's about 10m to your room.

And last time I was there, the pub still sold booze!!! (but trying to work out the time after a few was a bit confusing ) ;)