PDA

View Full Version : ATC Facility Visit

Departures Beckham
22nd Nov 2002, 20:20
I returned in September from White Plains, NY, after completing a one-year internship for a European travel company. I am returning on vacation in December, and would like to know if I'm likely to be able to visit an ATC facility in or around NYC.

I have interviews to become an Air Traffic Control Officer in London in January so the experience of visiting an overseas facility would be a great advantage for me. I have already visited one facility here in London, but would like to know if anyone can offer advice regarding a visit in the US.

Many thanks.

weasil
23rd Nov 2002, 19:21
Last time I asked they were still closed to the public (we are still on a high alert level in the USA).

Doesn't hurt to ask though. You should go to the FAA website and ask.

GoneWest
23rd Nov 2002, 22:20
...and the last I heard was "definately closed to all non-US citizens".

FWA NATCA
24th Nov 2002, 22:34
Beckham,

Yes, you can arrange a visit, but since you are a foreign citizen, a background security check has to be completed prior to your visit by the regional FAA office, and this takes about 30 days to complete.

Contact the facility that you want to visit at least several months prior to arriving, the manager should be able to put you in contact with the Regional Office so that you can provide the proper credentials and information.

Another option is to Contact the NATCA National Office in Washington D.C. and ask for help to arrange a visit.

Mike R
FWA

kabz
12th Dec 2002, 18:56
Is there any kind of relaxation for green card holders ? Bearing in mind that we have had a fair amount of background done, prior to being approved by the INS.

weasil
20th Dec 2002, 15:52
Believe me, right now NOONE has any faith in anything done by the INS. These are the same people who issued visa extensions to some of the 9/11 Hijackers 6 months after the fact.

The INS is in the process of being completely overhauled and moved into the Homeland Security department at the moment.

Greg45
17th May 2003, 09:13
It seems the restrictions have been (partially?) lifted. We wnet to visit the tower in KSMO (Santa Monica, CA) in January. Just called and were invited to come right over. I doubt it's possible at larger airports, but KSMO is a very busy GA airport with LAX nearby.

Very interesting to see what goes on behind the mic. I can only recommend to visit, it can't hurt to ask. Phone numbers should be printed in the airport facilites direcory. The controllers in KSMO said they encourage pilots to visit and are happy to give a tour.