View Full Version : AirCraft Engineer turn Pilot

darthmuppet
22nd Nov 2002, 14:24
Considering doing a new Aircraft Engineering degree at a certain SW London Uni, while I don't have £40k ratting in my piggy bank I thought this could possibly lead onto a career in flying commercially, foot in the door and that, is this a Viable route?

I'm gonna go 4 the EasyJet thingy and maybe Malgus, Hurry up Gatbash!!!!!!!!:eek:

no sponsor
22nd Nov 2002, 14:37
After your degree, you'll still have to do your PPL, CPL/IR and ATPLs. So, it doesn't really do it for you - except make the ATPLs easier.

A friend of mine became an aircraft engineer through BAs apprentice scheme, but other than give him a job to pay bills and allow him to follow a modular route, he still had to build up towards 800 hrs to secure a job, so it never gave him a distinct advantage.

moo
24th Nov 2002, 19:56
joined BA as apprentice in 1997, intending to begin integrated training in approx. 1 year.
hope that the training and life experience will hold me in good stead and it keeps me in the picture with respect to the airline industry as a whole

A and C
24th Nov 2002, 20:14
I started out at BA and do not regret the engineering for one second , it has helped a lot over the years , but there are still a small minority of pilots who consider engineers to be a bit of a lower life form !.

On these very pages I was accused of lack commitment to being a proffessional pilot when after the airline that I was flying for went bust overnight I got out the big red tool box and went engineering contracting untill a flying job turned up.
I,m still trying to work out how spending three months on the dole would have improved my flying !.

Private jet
25th Nov 2002, 12:25
A degree in Aeronautical engineering will be useful on your CV when you are applying to the airlines for sponsorship but to a much, much lesser extent as a direct entry pilot after you have your licence (This depends a lot more on experience- breakdown of hours, ratings, types etc and your personality).
Personally I did the BA engineering apprenticeship and was there for 7 years before leaving to pursue a piloting life. I'm very glad I had that experience, however, although my background in aircraft engineering was useful, but it did not open any doors that were not half open already, if you see what I mean.
If you want to go for some sort of sponsorship then the degree is a definate plus, if not then give it a miss and start flying as soon as you can!

FlyingSpanner
26th Nov 2002, 00:28
I'm working my way throught the groundschool ATPL exams at the moment and I have to admit that having went through several type rating courses in engineering it is a distinct advantage in several fields.

I also dont regret a day I have spent as an engineer it is just that I have went as far as I can happily in engineering and have decided it is time to challenge myself on pastures new. I hope that having taken the time off to get the PPL, and now that the FAA IR knocks the 40hrs off the required 55 I will have saved enough to get through the struggle.

Keep flying..

Spanner

redsnail
26th Nov 2002, 11:46
There is a bit of a difference from an Aeronautical Engineering degree and being a licensed aircraft maintenance engineer. (Known as LAME's in Aus).
I don't know of many long term unemployed licensed engineers. There is a predicted world wide shortage of engineers. (No, this one is real!!). If you are rated on piston engines and turbine engines you are employable world wide.
If you want to be reasonably wealthy and have a better lifestyle than most pilots, I would go for E&I. Electronics and Instrumentation. An example, the 2 E&I guys in Broome where I worked earned more than the Dash 8 captains and worked less days. (4 days on, 4 days off, $80,000 +$15,000 housing allowance. Dash 8 captain, 900 hours a year, $55,000 + away allowances $77/day, no housing allowance)

If I had my time again I would definitely get some engineering qualifications. (not degree)