PDA

View Full Version : MAS Wrong Proffession

Usman
22nd Nov 2002, 10:31
Sometimes I just wonder why at one time a geologist heads the Flight Operation. That geologist could even soon be the next CEO in MAS. His only useful comment that I can remember is 'to built bridges' and nothing else related to aviation. There is no big contribution that I know of that he had made to turn the airline around. He did not correct even the 'short fuel on long haul' when he came into office in 1997.

I'm not trying to bash him in this forum, but to highlight an issue, which is peculiar in Malaysia. People of the wrong profession had been taking up important appointment in the airline and other organisations. They say it is all right, all you need is some common sense to do the job, the qualification is not important. I do not believe this after seeing our own Bank Negara losing something like RM12billions in the British currency investment and the Perwaja loss of another RM7billions which had no answers till today. Not forgetting MAS loss of RM20billions, which had to be paid by future taxpayers. There is no scandal that I know of during the tenure of our first Finance Minister Tan Siew Sin who is qualified in accountancy.

If people are in their correct profession like our Dr Geologist he could have averted the recent landslide in Ampang or even the Highland Tower tragedy if he was in the right sphere of duty. Maybe the Geology Dept. is being run by accountants.

Thank god they had not come up with an idea yet to replace the pilot with say a chemist.

MAStake
23rd Nov 2002, 10:06
You miss the point Usman. That geologist isn't called Dr Con for nothing. The idea is that you can fool all of the people all of the time.
MAS seems to have this fascination about academic qualifications. Look around you and see the number of pilots with MBAs. Invariably they end up in positions of authority in Flight Operations and the fist noticeable trace of their presence is the roster change. Meetings are called at the last minute and these guys MUST attend, so at the last minute the standby is called up. All of us have been at the receiving end of this abuse but the PhDs and the MBAs bon't bother to correct this. After all, they're Gods and above all this.

None of us really believe that there will be any change in the way business is done. And i don't think that geology has much to do with aviation ...... once we're airborne if ever we will.

ironbutt57
25th Nov 2002, 08:42
Welcome to aviation....happens everywhere...:( :confused: :(

Mr Krueger
25th Nov 2002, 11:41
You should know by now that this the way it goes.
If you want to get to the top you need to know people.
Experience, let alone knowledge does not come in to it.
(mis)Management is looking evereywhere for someone to help them out the holes they dug for themselves. Bring on an idiot who can talk a good story and he/she is bombarded the rescuer of the company/airline.

SuperRanger
28th Nov 2002, 07:11
usman,

like you said, peculiar to M'sia, the problem is not with MAS it's with the whole system. the the main cause of the prob is mindset/paradigm/attitude. how do we change that? for me, i think it begins with myself. frustrating no doubt but at least it's a start.

welcome to the reality of Dr. becoming PM, Dentist-MB, Lawyer-Singer, Accountant-Chef, etc ;) some of them didn't do that badly at all... :)

SR

Usman
2nd Dec 2002, 22:50
So can you say 'Malaysian Incorporated' is a way to make big bucks, high positions for some people at the expense of the of the tax-payers and the national wealth. Petronas which used to make RM3 billion a year profit is now down to RM1.3 billion, where did the profit go inspite of rising fuel prices.

Like that with the right connections Ramli can charge MAS RM140 for a plate of nasi lemak through supplier Halim (his old school mate) and siphoned the airline dry.

It would not be so bad if the airline is being run correctly even by the wrong kind of people but if the end result is a financial disaster then there is no justification, on top of making MAS the laughing stock of the aviation world.

-------

The world is getting more crowded but the administration of the people is getting worse than before- a recipe for future disaster.