PDA

View Full Version : Hearing

dynamite dean
21st Nov 2002, 17:23
Okay another medical question....

PLease don't think this is a silly passage of writing...

I am a commercial pilot coming up to my medical renewal......
My question is this...When I go to have my ears checked the doctor always sits me in this room next to the window open of course near the busy road and the last medical he said I had damage in my high frequency range my career flashed by
you know what it's like when you are trying to get estabilshed
it actually turned out throughout the din of cars passing by the window my ears where clogged with wax!!!!!!

Maybe I'm just waffling but I have been invited for a final interview with an Airline next year...tell me do Airline Medicals differ vastly from Class 1 renewals?

What extra stuff do they do and if they find a hearing problem (might as well ask a question ) what are the parameters they say okay chum you have failed the tests!!! I am nervous that my hearing test wont be done with sound proof headphones and windows!!!!!!

I am twenty seven and a flight instructor now wearing ear plugs also after my doctor said you must!

Any comments and encouraging statements are much welcomed.
I do find pilots in my fraternity don't talk medical yet every year one's livlihood gets put on line!

:D

tcasalert
23rd Nov 2002, 07:51
G'day,

One of my fellow aviators here in Oz is completely deaf in one ear. For several years he was banned from holding a commercial pilots ticket. Now he's CP of a small airline. In the mid eighties the rules changed (here in Oz at least) and he was made to do an operational test where he was required that he had the hearing ability to perform all the funtions required for commercial ops. He passed with no problems and still flies today.

Perhaps phone your regulator and get their opinion. You don't have to give them your name.

Cheers

Officedesk
24th Nov 2002, 10:13
See the previous thread on Tinitus to see info on hearing standards.

Appreciate your anxiety on the career issues but don't worry, so long as you can get through the medical now, when established as aircrew, being grounded from hearing loss is very rare.

Most of us do have high frequency damage! Re-certification standards are not very strict. And even if you fail on the limits all that is needed is a check in a simulator with a trainer to say that you are ok to carry out your job.