PDA

View Full Version : PPL Help then onwards

Psyko
31st Jan 2001, 00:35
Help.....I want to complete my PPL after starting my flying in 1986 and amassing 47.5 hours to date. After this I want to EVENTUALLY get ATPL.

I know there have been changes since I last flew! What do I need to know?

At 32 it is my aim to try and fly for a living, but first have to get qualified. Sick Squid has mentioned the frozed ATPL. How does this work, and where do I start looking?

Thanx in advance for the help

[This message has been edited by Psyko (edited 31 January 2001).]

Sick Squid
31st Jan 2001, 22:45
Do you aim to eventually fly professionally Psyko? If you have the dosh available it might be better to go straight to Frozen ATPL via a modular, or integrated course. A lot depends on your age, drive, motivation etc. I wish I could help further, but I'm out of touch with that part of the game.

Can somebody else help further....?

£6
Poacher turned Gamekeeper

[This message has been edited by Sick Squid (edited 31 January 2001).]

Psyko
31st Jan 2001, 23:59
Thanx Mr Squid sir. Yes I do want to fly professionally, but at 32 I have not found anyone to sponsor me, so have to go this route. If I can I would like to build hours as an Instructor. Can I do this with a frozen ATPL. How does the Frozen ATPL work?

TooHotToFly
1st Feb 2001, 03:28
Psyko,

There lots of variations on the theme but assuming that you can't take a year off work to do an integrated course at somewhere like Oxford, you could do the modular route which is where you split the various part of the course and do them section by section. This is a brief outline of what you would need to do (assuming you want to eventually fly for an airline).

Finish your PPL.
Hour build (often done in the states) until you have around 150 hours.
Do your JAA ATPL written exams (expect about 3 or 4 months if you were doing it full time).
Complete your Commercial Pilots Licence course (you can combine this with a multi-engined rating or you can do that at a later date).
At this point you will have around 200 hours and you can then do a flying instructors course. It's a 30 hour course (about £5000 or under).
You can then start earning a living as a flying instructor, building up your hours to around 1000 is the norm before going for airline jobs.
At some point before you start to apply for some airline jobs you will need to do your Instrument Rating. Once you have got your CPL/IR you can then get a right hand seat in an airliner. When you have achieved 1500 hours including 500 hours multi-crew time you can then change your licence for an ATPL.

As I said there are lots of variations on the theme but feel free to ask any more questions.

funkster
1st Feb 2001, 13:08
TooHotTofly

Do you think it is possible to still work whilst building up the hours to an instructors rating how long do you think it would take to get to an instructors rating, and how much on average would it cost?

TooHotToFly
1st Feb 2001, 14:01
Funkster - I'm a bit confused about your question. If you mean the time taken to get your actual flying instructors rating, then expect it to take about 3 or 4 weeks(full time) and cost about £4800. You can do this on a part time basis but I would encourage anybody to try and do the whole course in one go.

If you're talking about building up your hours once you've got an instructors rating then there's lots of part time work out there (particularly at weekends). You could work at a flying school at weekends probably flying on average of 20-25 hours a month. This way you could continue working at your current job during the week. It would take a while to build your hours this way but for some people it's their only choice. You would get paid around £15 per hour spent in the air.

funkster
2nd Feb 2001, 14:21
Thanks for the reply.
Yes what I meant was after obtaining your ppl how long would it take (ie how many hours do you need) and how much would it cost to get to qualified instructor. So as you said £4800 is the cost from going from a ppl to an instructors rating?

Once you are a qualified instructor, and you take a student up for an hours lesson for example, I guess you may take off and land initially, but the student would do most of the flying during the hour, so what can you put in your own log book, is it still an hour? I guess you are PIC but you probably aren't flying the aircraft for the full hour, so does this still count towards your own hour building??

any info appreciated..!

TooHotToFly
2nd Feb 2001, 16:38
Whilst you are instructing, although you may not be the handling pilot, you are still Pilot in Command so you can log all the flight as PIC.