PDA

View Full Version : Video card, DVD and burner probs with XP pro

redsnail
20th Nov 2002, 16:04
I apologise if these problems have come up before and for the length of post. I have done a search.

Ok, I got 3 problems here.

The system (built mid 2000)
Intel Pentium 3 550Mhz chip
384 Mb RAM
Monitor Hitachi CM615
Nvidia Vanta/Vanta LT with 16mg RAM
Aus keyboard
Win XP pro with service patch 1 installed.
DVD Hitachi DVD ROM GD 7000
Burner ATAPI CD R/RW 24x10x40 Note, installed after XP in 2002)
Used Power DVD, worked with 98, even upgraded one for XP didn't work
Installed Intervideo Win DVD (for XP)
Nero 4. Only managed to burn one disc and it was a fluke. (prior to yesterday)
20 Gig Hard drive.

440BX motherboard

What I have done.
I reformatted the hard drive (yes, wiped it totally) and clean installed Win XP Pro.
Now has a 2 Gig partition for the operating system and an 17.5 Gig partition for every thing else.
I did this yesterday (Mon)

Errors etc.
1. Loaded up Nero V 4.
Getting error 'can't find wnaspi32.dll'
Searched and found. Reloaded Nero, same error appears.
Looked at the Nero site and I can't understand what it's saying.
Possible solution is to upgrade to a newer Nero?
Computer does recognise the drive and will play stuff from it.

2. Cannot upgrade driver for the video card. Every time I tell it to update, XP claims that the most up to date driver is already installed. Not true. Still have conflict symbol in Device manager profiles. Been like that ever since XP was installed.
I am reluctant to spend too much money on a new card because I haven't got too much to spare for the computer. (ie getting old-ish, it would make a reasonable server in time)

3. Probably related to the above.
DVD will not play any more. Runs CD's fine, plays music etc. Computer does recognise it. However, I get the error message telling me to lower screen colour depth/resolution. I comply, still arcs up. This DVD behaved under Win 98 se just fine.

Yes, used the trouble shooter. I haven't as yet physically ripped the video card out because it worked under Win 98. Yes, the computer has been moved but I figured if a bump would cause the card to disloge or a cable to fall out I would have known about it before.

Device manager says re the Video card:
Driver updated 27/09/02. Version 4.0.7.2
Not using any resources. It will not start.

Apart from chucking it out the window I am at a loss. My computer knowledge was reasonable a few years ago but time has moved on and I haven't. (sorry).
So any instructions has to be as if you are talking to a bit of a newbie.

gas path
20th Nov 2002, 18:34
Dunno if it's any help, but, with Nero (and I presume Easy CD) you have to make sure that the 'write' speed is set at the same speed as the blank disc or lower. for example don't try to burn a 24x disc at x40 speed.
Looking at the error msg try following the hints HERE (http://www.onlinepcfix.com/ASPI2.htm) It should point you in the right direction as to where that .dll should be (and how many!!).

ORAC
20th Nov 2002, 20:01
The Nero site seems quite clear,

Error message: Could not open driver. Trying system aspi

This error message appears if in the Nero directory you can find the Nero-ASPI driver you find WNASPI32.DLL (Version 2.0.0.0) and in the Windows\System \IOSUBSYS directory the file NEROAPIX.VXD is missing.

Solutions:

You copy the missing NEROAPIX.VXD into the Windows\System\IOSUBSYS directory.

or

You delete the file WNASPI32.DLL from the Nero directory.
-------------------------------------------------------------

So, delete the WNASPI322.DLL file and check to make sure NEROAPIX.VXD file is in the Windows directory.

I would, however, strongly urge you to upgrade to Nero 5.5

-----------------------------------------------------------

Video card. I presume you have an XP driver. If not, download from here (http://www.compaq.com/support/files/desktops/us/download/15967.html) . Then delete the video card in Device Manager.

Then go to Install new hardware, tell it you have a driver and point it at the file. it should then load it and then find the card.

redsnail
20th Nov 2002, 22:35
Thanks folks.
Gas path, it won't play the game so write speeds haven't come into it yet :)

Orac.
The neroapix.vxd is missing. You'll probably kill me but it is a copied disc. The wnaspi32.dll was only on the c drive. (where it should be I guess)
Full error message is
wnaspi32.dll not found
Please check for correct Windows ASPI manager installation of your SCSI-Host adapter software.

Didn't know it was a SCSI drive in the first place?

Ok the video card driver....
Downloaded the driver. Did as you suggested. It loaded up the generic windows one. Then got tough and forced it to install the 'new' driver. It didn't like it much. Still have conflict alert, now the driver/card says 'Nvidia Geforce2 GTS 32'

Thanks for your help. :)

ORAC
20th Nov 2002, 22:52
The 'neroapix.vxd' file is contained in a download from Nero called NEASPIEN.EXE which you can find here (http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#c1023694368810)

Do you still have the problem playing the DVD with the new video card driver?

redsnail
22nd Nov 2002, 15:43
G'day ORAC,
Thanks for your help.

Copied the files. Opened them and it talked about 95-98. Followed the instructions.
Oh well, copied the wnaspi32.dll to the nero file.
I can't copy the file to the IOSUBSYS as XP doesn't appear to have that.

Any way, restarted the wee beasty. No error messages this time with Nero. Tried to burn a disc but it didn't work. I'll try again when a more Nero cluey person is awake.

Nero cluey person awake. Nero would go through the motions and even announce that the burn through was complete. However, nothing was written.

DVD's, Same error message as before. Same conflict symbols as before.

I started to scratch around a few things and found this.
Under the Monitor icon. Vga Save Properties.

1. I/O Range 03B0-03BB Conflict symbol
2. I/O Range 03C0-03DF " "
3. Memory Range 00A000- 000BFFF Conflict symbol

Input/Output Range 03B0 - 03BB used by:
Intel 82443BX Pentium(r) II Processor to AGP Controller
Input/Output Range 03C0 - 03DF used by:
Memory Range 000A0000 - 000BFFFF used by:

Starting to think that this is a major job....

ORAC
22nd Nov 2002, 21:32
Try this is a slightly older Win XP driver for the card. If you still have the problem I don't know the answer. WindowsXP-Drivers (http://www.windowsxp-drivers.com/drivers/38/38787.htm).

Early releases of XP would not support Adaptec aspi software, which a lot of burners use.

Here's an updated Adaptec aspi32 driver you can try: driver (http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?sess=no&cat=%2fOperating+System%2fMicrosoft+Windows+XP&filekey=aspi_v471.exe). You should the XP32 and aim it at your nero directory.

There's a more recent version of the same file here, but the instructions aren't so clear: driver (http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/driverdetail.html?sess=no&cat=%2fOperating+System%2fMicrosoft+Windows+XP&filekey=aspi_v472a2.exe)

If that doesn't work, have you tried using the CD burner software built into Win XP, does that work OK? WinXP CD burning (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q279157)

If that burns OK, it's the nero software, uninstall it. It's probably easier to buy a new XP compatible copy of 5.5 or similar.

redsnail
26th Nov 2002, 19:40
Sorted.
With thanks to you all and zippyz (my flat mate) the computer is now sorted. Nope, didn't throw it out the window but by gees, it came close!
Firstly, we put in an old TNT2 card to see if it was the card itself. Same hassles.
Secondly, we upgraded the Bios. After spending some time figuring it out just exactly what it was, we got the right upgrade and sorted that out.
No more conflicts and everything was fine.
DVD plays, no Vga I/O conflicts.
Last but not least was the burner.
Tried Nero. Same dramas. Tried the XP burner software, it worked.

I then reinstalled the old Vanta card. The machine beeped aggressively so I took it out again.

At the moment I am enjoying a beer. Tomorrow I will try the video card again.