PDA

View Full Version : Validity of an IMC if you have a lapsed IR

The man formerly known as
4th Jan 2002, 19:29
I heard an IMC is valid for 10 years if you have an IR. Is this true and if so where is the paperwork that proves it. I've looked through JAR FCL and I can't find it.

Stan Evil
4th Jan 2002, 20:57
You won't find anything in JAA-FCL because the IMC Rating is a UK National Rating. An IR can count as an initial test for or revalidation test for an IMC Rating. The only advantage in doing this is that the IMC Rating is valid for 25 months rather than the IRs 12 months - but you'd need to have the IMC Rating entered into your licence. If you have a UK CPL (or ATPL) then you have similar privileges to the holder of an IMC Rating and these are valid as long as your licence is valid. However, a JAA CPL/ATPL does not carry the same privileges and is a strictly VMC licence unless you have an IR.

clear prop!!!
5th Jan 2002, 15:32
Stan,

You can in fact have an IMC endorsement on a JAA CPL. <a href="http://www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_gid15.pdf" target="_blank">www.srg.caa.co.uk/documents/srg_fcl_gid15.pdf</a>

This is particularly relevant for modular CPL holders who are instructing, holding off their IR until they need it ..or can afford it... within the 36 month limit.

As you say however it is valid only in UK airspace.

[ 05 January 2002: Message edited by: clear prop!!! ]</p>

Stan Evil
5th Jan 2002, 19:17
Agreed, Clear Prop, I didn't make that point clear.

Cruise Alt
6th Jan 2002, 20:00
Worrying thoughts. My understanding, and that of the otheres where I was instrusting is that a CPL has an integrated IMC rating. This was confirmed by the man on the phone at CAA but I did forget to get his name!

[ 06 January 2002: Message edited by: Cruise Alt ]</p>

BEagle
7th Jan 2002, 00:09
A UK CPL does have IMC privileges - a JAR/FCL one issued in the UK does not.

Stan Evil
7th Jan 2002, 00:11
Reiterating the point - a UK CAA CPL has, effectively, an integrated IMC Rating but a JAA CPL most emphatically does not - it carries the same VMC restrictions as a PPL. Look in the Air Navigation Order Schedule 8 for chapter and verse.

RVR800
7th Jan 2002, 13:50
The man..

If you have a CAA CPL it carries IMC rating
privileges WITHOUT validation to the point
of licence expiry 10 years

Otherwise its 25mths ie. tacked onto the JAA
licence