View Full Version : New Airport For South Devon

AOG007
19th Nov 2002, 13:20
Owners of Plymouth City Airport have unveiled plans for a new airfield in the South Hams area of south Devon.

Having worked at PLH for 4 years until very recently, I find these proposals amazing!

Where does Sutton Harbour Holdings (Airport Owners) intend to find the capital required to even dream up such a venture. They are unable to maintain it's existing facility in Roborough, so how can they justify building another second rate airfield.

Or is this just a simliar ploy, as to the one currently being used in the Midlands by BHX and the proposed Rugby airport, to gain more freedom at it's current home?

And as with the hair-brained idea's from Rugby, do they really think that local resident's, and then the environmentalists, would allow this crack-pot idea to ever get off the ground.

The airfield at Plymouth is fine. What the airport want's is some of these Low-Cost carriers to fill the gaps left by BA's retreat. Simply because, unless another carrier similar to Brymon/BA Citi Express commence's operations form the city, other carrier's,using larger airframes would simply go out of business becuase the local economy just could not support a full service carrier. Thus, why build a new airport, capable of accomodating the Low-Cost guys and gals, when the chances are they would not come, or if they did, would it be often enough, to cover what would be enormous overheads.

On the BBC Website, a spokesperson for Sutton Harbour, has stated that the people of South Hams must "think carefully whether the economic benefits outweigh the environmental issues."

Digging up acres of beautiful green countryside, to built a second rate airport? I don't see the economic benefits. I do not see how an airfield in the South Hams, will encourage any more business to head down to the Devon/Cornwall boarder, than that already created by the existing airfield.

All in all, an expensive public relations game me thinks!

AOG007 - Signing off

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

srs what?
19th Nov 2002, 15:22
The last I heard a few months back PLH had received a European Grant to extend the terminal and lenthen the runway.

Not heard anything more on that recently.

Fraudsquads
19th Nov 2002, 20:05
This was reported on the Local news last week.

Sutton Harbour are proposing the idea of a new airport in the South Hams(Ivybridge area). Plymouth airport cannot accommodate aircraft of the size operated by most carriers that its owners would like to attract. If BA/Brymon ever pulled out that would end Plymouth operations (IMO)

Sutton suggest that the value of the land for housing together with the value of the land at Exeter Airport would be sufficient for the needs. Its a reasonable line of thought. For a few years plans to build low cost homes in the South Hams for local people which have been pushed away due to the astronomic rise in prices. This would enable more housing in Plymouth and near Exeter which would involve less commuting and also less homes for the South Hams and an airport to keep away external price pushers.

Comments from Exeter Airports owner (Council) say why would we want to move our airport facilities with the large number of local jobs away. Also Exeter Airport can satisfy increased demand, has room for expansion both for terminal space and even runway length should regular 767 size a/c be required.

My view is Sutton Harbour should consider directing their attention to Newquay Airport, Ryan Air are there. With investment if could be developed to serve the people of West Devon and Cornwall.

Failing that, find something better to do with their money. Exeter is capable of meeting the needs of the SW for the foreseeable future.

FS

IanH
21st Nov 2002, 08:07
To add another view to this debate....... My folks live very close to RMB ( Formerly RAF ) Chivenor near to Barnstaple in North Devon. Word is locally that consideration is being given to start commercial flights out of Chivenor, not known by whom etc....

Any one else heard this one at all ?

Ian H

alterego
21st Nov 2002, 08:34
Chivenor has been suggested as a commercial operation for as many years as I can remember.

The local population is far too small @80K and people from South Devon have also got Exeter and those closer to North Cornwall have St Mawgan.

Chivenor does have 6080ft of the best Tarmac in Europe (it was resurfaced not long before the RAF left). However I am sure it will only be used for the SAR Seakings and 624 VGS Motorgliders, with the odd military A/c visit.

stalling attitude
21st Nov 2002, 19:06
nobody is mentioning Bodmin which is surely capable of supporting a low cost operator:D

srs what?
21st Nov 2002, 19:30
The fuel at Newquay is billed by Plymouth City Airport so they have obviously got their fingers in many pies.

AOG007
22nd Nov 2002, 16:44
srs what?

Reason for 'Plymouth City Airport' billing from St. Mawgan, is because they are both owned by the same company, Sutton Harbour Holdings.

Sutton Harbour Holdings bought the airport's from Brymon/British Airways a couple of years ago, and since then, I don't know of anyone that has seen any improvements. I appreciate that BA have significantly reduced their services through the airport, and so the airport's ability to improve facilities I'd imagine is minimal, but the main problem are the local residents.

As with nearly all established airfields in the UK, there is always the core of local pains, who somehow missed the fact, that when viewing their home, and then moving in, they failed to observe the B747-400 on short finals, and skimming the roof of their property. Obviously, worst case senario at Plymouth would be a Dash-8, nevertheless, these people are the real problem!

One of the reasons that BA pulled out was the inability to expand not only it's network, but it's support set-up. Engineering were restricted to engine runs between very strict guides, and the airport would close at 2230hrs. Extensions were allowed, but as resources were rationalised when Sutton Harbour Holdings took charge, these became difficult, becuase of lack of hours remaining for the duty ATCO, or fire and rescue staff.

All in all, a real shame. But one of the draw backs of operating down in the deep south! Remember, Plymouth is at least 10yrs behind the rest of the country. Anyone who regularly travels down the A38, will know that once you pass Exeter, they turn off the lights. I think it's to confuse Plymouthians, and convince them that there is no need to venture up it from Plymouth! :D

AOG007

TAM PAX
22nd Nov 2002, 16:46
Does that mean you are infact behind the times ???

Smokie
22nd Nov 2002, 17:52
'ere ! don't you be tekkin the p11ss owt of uz Janners me luver !!

Exel
22nd Nov 2002, 17:55
Devons' got as much chance of getting a new airport as the firefighters have of getting a 40% payrise.

Blue Boy
24th Nov 2002, 22:02
SRS What

I'm buying my mate 'Dave' (AOG007) a Dictionary for Christmas, perhaps I could get you one also?

So, instead of lenthen the runway, perhaps we could make it bigglier?

Sorry Nathan..........:p

BB

TAM PAX
25th Nov 2002, 06:16
NT never could spell !!! You should see the log book here !!!

Waveman
25th Nov 2002, 08:26
One of FlyBe's directors has quit to join the new airport company - he must think the future's not at EXT.

srs what?
25th Nov 2002, 15:25
A genuine typo I can assure you. :p

White Widow
26th Nov 2002, 00:08
Fly.BE director

Does this mean the balance of 'management' to personnel is now 49% - 51%....:rolleyes:

Ace Rimmer
26th Nov 2002, 07:45
Snowballs in hell. That's about the chance level of the South Hams airport if the response from Devon CC is anything to go by (and who afterall will have to give planning permission) In their PR yesterday they called the proposal "utter fantasy" and that Sutton Harbour was "in urgent need of a series of reality injections"....So I'd guess you could say they're not keen