PDA

View Full Version : C310 inquiry - Some more dodgy journalism?

Islander Jock
19th Nov 2002, 06:12
Taken from The West Australian website

Death pilot 'failed tests'

By Anne Calverley

THE WA Police Service desperately needed a risk management plan to avoid tragedies like the air crash which killed four officers in the North-West last year, the Coroner's Court was told yesterday.

Insp. Anthony Flack said a plan to target fatigue, training, performance management and medical issues had since been drawn up but was not yet approved.

Police Air Support Unit trainee pilot Sen. Const. Donald Everett, 49, of Karratha, and his Newman passengers Sen. Const. Phillip Ruland, 32, Const. David Dewar, 31, and Const. Gavin Capes, 27, died when the Cessna 310R crashed a few hundred metres from Newman airport on January 26.

They were returning from a domestic disturbance at Kiwirrkurra, 860km east of Newman near the Northern Territory border.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau found the plane went into a spin induced by fuel starvation to one engine because the pilot had not monitored his fuel tanks properly. After the first engine stopped, the second engine quit. There was fuel in the auxiliary tanks.

Counsel assisting the coroner Dominic Mulligan said Sen. Const. Everett was grossly inexperienced and not licensed to fly a twin-engine plane at night.

He should not have been flying, having repeatedly failed the necessary tests and being diagnosed with poor eyesight.[/b]

The court also heard criticism of the police hierarchy and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

Lawyer John Hammond, on behalf of the pilot, said pilots were virtually forced to train themselves on the job in remote areas, and their performance was not monitored properly.

The court was told budget cutbacks led to the Karratha township losing one pilot and replacing the other with its most inexperienced pilot, with little or no induction.

Insp. Flack said overhauling police risk management standards would reduce the chances of another tragedy.

He found it abhorrent that air wing chief pilot Murray Webster had to teach subordinates to fly when he did not have adequate training qualifications.

The one-way flow of information between the police and the safety bureau had frustrated the investigation.

A second pilot had since been appointed to Karratha and aircraft safety had never been compromised, he said.

The inquest continues.

OK, so is it just sweeping statements being made in the coronial inquiry or perhaps that poor Anne Calverley is finding some of the technical evidence too demanding?

eg:

Const. Everett was grossly inexperienced and not licensed to fly a twin-engine plane at night.

I would have thought all ME Air Spt Wng flights would be conducted IFR, particularly at night. So does this mean Don didn't have a NVFR without SE restriction allowing him to downgrade to VFR for final route segment or was the IR out of currency?

He should not have been flying, having repeatedly failed the necessary tests and being diagnosed with poor eyesight

Failed what necessary tests? Either Don did or didn't have a Class 1 medical.

I'm sure that counsel for the pilot's family will have their say which will hopefully clarify some issues but it looks like some very sloppy journalism in true aviation reporting style. :mad:

Crash & Burn
19th Nov 2002, 06:33
ATSB report states that the pilot probably thought he had Multi-Engine NVFR on his licence following a test done by the police air wing CP.

It then goes on to state that the air wing CP was not authorised to conduct tests for Multi-Engine NVFR and that CASA never received any paperwork for the test.

The pilot did not have an command instrument rating.

Islander Jock
19th Nov 2002, 06:44
Thanks C&B,

Just read the ATSB report.

His performance in several safety critical areas was not monitored and resulted in a series of failures in the overall system of safety management at the ASU

Perhaps this is what was being mis reported as "repeated failures of necessary tests"

hurlingham
19th Nov 2002, 08:15
If you are interested in all the facts the Coroners Court will make available the entire transcsipt when it is all over, at a cost.

P.O.M
19th Nov 2002, 11:01
I tried looking to see if transcripts were available online, couldn't find anything though.

Know a few of those giving evidence, would be interested to know how it's all gone.

How is the transcript available?

Cheers,
P.O.M :D

Woomera
19th Nov 2002, 11:22
The WA Coroners Court does not routinely publish transcripts of the proceedings.

They are recorded for posterity, however if a transcribed version is required a fairly high cost is involved in having it transcribed.

An inquest is different from a trial as it is looking for causes, tries to establish the facts surrounding and makes recommendations only.

The Gimp
19th Nov 2002, 20:41
Islander Jock

Go to the ATSB site and download the entire report, all 97 pages. It has, obviously, much more info than just the summary. An interesting read for all inexperienced pilots operating at night in remote areas.

Wagit
21st Nov 2002, 09:14
The ATSB report is very interesting. It raises the question who was controlling the ASU? Does the person (s) controlling it really have any aviation experience ? I am not talking about the Chief Pilot, I am interested in who is the Chief Pilots boss!!!!

Towering Q
22nd Nov 2002, 00:28
A group of 'teflon coated' Commisioned Officers who will deny everything. One thing is certain about this particular organisation, the sh*t will always flow down hill.:mad:

Wagit
24th Nov 2002, 04:00
Sounds to me like another political appointed contracted sycophant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Down and Welded
27th Nov 2002, 05:05
I'm not commenting on the assertions regarding the pilot's qualifications, but the WA media has repeatedly stated this...
<<The Australian Transport Safety Bureau found the plane went into a spin induced by fuel starvation to one engine because the pilot had not monitored his fuel tanks properly. >>

Apparently fuel starvation will, ipso facto, induce a spin. Another nail in the coffin of the nervous public's perception of the relative safety of flying...

'Welded

Icarus2001
27th Nov 2002, 05:45
Clearly there were flaws in the oversight of ASU operations. These have apparently been addressed.

The bottom line is, the pilot in command, regardless of qualifications held or not held, failed to monitor the fuel situation of his aircraft.

A ME NVFR rating or Command IR is not required to do this, conversion training to type covers systems knowledge and procedures.

Pilot induced crash, similar to the Baron about 10 years ago that killed six people at Geraldton, travelling from Denham. Ran out of fuel, stall spin crash, no burn.

Very sad. The answer...better training and CP supervision of staff pilots.

Hugh Jarse
27th Nov 2002, 07:15
Cessna twins (with tip tanks) are particularly quirky with fuel management.

I was always very careful when endorsing guys on same (with regard to the possibility of fuel venting) to ensure the trainee's understanding of the fuel system.

The system is generally a PITA. Excess fuel should return to the originating tank, but I guess Cessna had better ideas when they designed it.:mad:

Towering Q
27th Nov 2002, 08:20
I wish the West Australian would appoint a reporter to this case who knew something... anything, about matters relating to aviation.

Monitoring fuel tanks? It was a dark night, I doubt whether the fuel tanks could even be seen from inside the aircraft.

And what is "the air wing's own operational manual"? :rolleyes:

olderbutyzer
27th Nov 2002, 08:56
Monitoring the fuel tanks doesn't just mean being able to see them, surely? In Cessna twins with tip tanks, the tips (mains) need to be run for the recommended time after takeoff - I forget exactly what it is. This is because when switching to the aux tanks, the fuel that is not used by the engine(s) is pumped back into the mains. If there is too much fuel left in the mains, the fuel will be vented over the side & lost. If I remember correctly, the fuel exits underneath the tank(s) & it is doubtful whether this would be seen from the cockpit, even during daylight hours.

Towering Q
27th Nov 2002, 09:17
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
What is the world coming to???

gaunty
27th Nov 2002, 12:48
So may I offer a little bit of reasoned and informed insight into the WA Police Farce Air Wing.

It has and will continue to be a crock of sh!t until the senior decision makers work out that they are responsible for the biggest patch of policing in the world. and that the only way they can cover it efficiently is with modern aircraft.

That means a couple of busted a&se Chieftains a C310 or two and the odd C182 'aint gunna cut it.
It also means that they have to hire real pilots and make them policemen NOT the other way round.

It is this attitude that has prevented them from joining the real world and being able to justify the operation of real aircraft suitable for the area of ops. Dare I say Citation or similar and several of them for route ops and Squirrels or Dauphin for helo ops.

Constable Plod also needs to get some REAL expertise to deal with the idiot pollies to get then to understand the issues concerning simple ideas like "rapid response", "prisoner transport" and not spending 14 days in a "cruiser' admiring the scenery to get around the traps just for a day or two of "contact".

Justifying a C182 on the basis of the odd speeding ticket spied from space is an idiot use of the machinery and indulgence of an enthusiasts wet dream.

Having to ring the 'Commish' to get approval to launch the helo and use the years budget for a 'rescue' or 'pursuit' is farce beyond belief.

But then I'm not a policeman so I know nothing, or whatever I say has to be treated with a great deal of circumspection and suspicion because I'm not a "member".

If you prise my fingernails off, I may be persuaded to relate the genius thinking :rolleyes: behind the purchase of several of their bits of gear.:eek:

I am not the least bit surprised at the tragedy of the Newman C310 accident, it was not whether, simply a matter of when and how many.:mad:

They can wiggle and weasel all they like, but the buck stops right at the Commissioners desk and they cannot say that they were not offered the opportunity for education in this area.

Having said that it is not a act of 'commission' on his part.

It is a result of the cultural 'attitude" which even unto this day is still resistant to reality.

Icarus2001
28th Nov 2002, 06:46
Gaunty

I go along with your line but perhaps further. Why do real pilots need to be made in to police to fly their machines?

I can't see any operational reason why the person in the front left seat needs to be a sworn officer. Nor does the aircraft need to be owned by WAPS.

The argument of security and secret squirrel ops just doesn't wash. Customs tasks Coastwatch (part of Customs) who task aircraft & crews owned and operated by Surveillance Australia, "civvie" pilots in a para military role. Lots of hush hush stuff but they don't seem to have a problem with it.

Your thoughts?

I concur with the issue of the choice of equipment:rolleyes: How about looking at the QPS as a comparison?

Towering Q
29th Nov 2002, 00:38
It certainly doesn't help morale in the ASU when Senior Commissioned Officers are threatening the staff with closure of their section and redeployment.

They have been doing that for years now. One particular police pilot told me that when he arrives at work and the key still opens the front door, he still has a job, for that day at least.

If these over-decorated clowns want to close the section down, they should get on with it. Either fix the sick animal or put it down. We now know the result of inaction.:mad:

the wizard of auz
29th Nov 2002, 11:33
Guanty, mabey the have to wait until they can confiscate something a bit nicer as a procedes of crime thingy before they get to have nicer stuff.
Shame they are getting stuck into Murrey, he's a bloody good bloke and I doubt very much if he would have allowed it to happen if it had been in his power to prevent it.
Hey muzza mate, chin up. remember having beers at kingys in hedland and my old busted ass toyota.......glad you was in traffic.

Towering Q
2nd Dec 2002, 03:08
Hey Wiz....far too much information about your Hedland days.;)

I'm sure Murray doesn't want to be called to that other "enquiry" going on in Perth right now.:D

the wizard of auz
2nd Dec 2002, 07:41
Bwahahaha.....point taken :D :D
Hey did ya see Daisy down there yet.......in her new paint and looking good?. she will be there for a few more days, go and have a gander.

Dale Harris
3rd Dec 2002, 04:42
Gaunty, does that mean that I am neither????:( :D :D