PDA

View Full Version : NTL Cable modem on a network ?

Terrain Ahead!
18th Nov 2002, 13:52
Does anybody know if it is possible to connect my NTL cable modem to a hub, and hence share the internet connection. Do i need a router ?

The aim is to be able to have a wireless LAN, as I see it either

i) connect the modem to one PC and leave the pc on, and share the connection thru that,

ii) or if the modem can connect straight to a hub, then do that instead. (This would save having to leave a pc on....)

SLF
18th Nov 2002, 21:56
Sitting in my chair, laptop with Belkin Wireless PC card, which is talking to a Netgear MR314 Wireless router and 4 port hub. Connected to this is a desktop PC, and the whole shebang connects to Mr ntl's broadband box. Both PCs share the broadband connection, and the desktop doesn't have to be switched on to do it.

Been running this config for 3 months, only problem is the strength of wireless connection, which is a little weak where I'm sitting right now. Line of sight from notebook to router is through a bookcase at an oblique angle ;)

Cost? from Dabs, router is £99 + VAT and Belkin PCMCIA card £46 + VAT. Bargain!

beardy
19th Nov 2002, 17:50
Oddly enough I have the identical set up from the NTL cable TV set top box with no problems. NTL will not provide any support for a home network - officially. Unofficially the tech helpline chaps are helpful.

thearrow
19th Nov 2002, 20:23
Hubs are pretty simple devices, they just let you share connections between an existing connection. They don't however do much else and cable modems typically use DHCP to allocate a single internet address - which hubs know nothing about. So you need a router of some description instead of a hub.

The NetGear ones are pretty good and come with wireless options, etc. plus they are easy to configure via a web page that you connect to. So most folks plug their NetGear into the cable modem, the NetGear takes the external IP address and you plug your PC's into the network either by a direct connection or by a wireless connection.

The internal network (i.e. from the inside of the router) is typically something like 192.168.168.x or 192.168.1.2 These addresses form part of a special category so that if they leak out onto the actual Internet they just get ignored.

The only issue I have with NetGear is that their performance is actually slower than a dedicated PC, I think because their embedded CPU is not overly fast. I've replaced one with a dedicated Linux box and got an unexpected performance boost. However you need to be Linux type-rated ;)

Also, make sure you upgrade the firmware to the latest on the NetGear. They have done quite a few bugfixes on some of the models.

The Arrow

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
19th Nov 2002, 21:06
thearrow,

The only issue I have with NetGear is that their performance is actually slower than a dedicated PC, I think because their embedded CPU is not overly fast. I've replaced one with a dedicated Linux box and got an unexpected performance boost. However you need to be Linux type-rated

Fortunately you don't have to be "Linux type-rated" anymore :) checkout www.smoothwall.org (http://www.smoothwall.org)