PDA

View Full Version : Best way to do my ATPL???

sam_flying
30th Jan 2001, 13:56
Ok, most of you have probably had this question asked a zillion times and are sick fed up with answering....but if you could help just one more time I would be sooooo grateful.
I am looking to do my ATPL. I currently have an FAA PPL which I will probably convert across to a JAA PPL.
I am in a quandry how to go about getting my frozen ATPL. Do I participate in a modular course through someone like Multiflight? or do I do the groundschool with London Guildhall University and then do the flying elsewhere? or do I do some of the more basic training to JAA standards in the US and then do the more advanced training back here in the UK?
Then if studying at London Guildhall...would you do the distance learning or the full time course? Anyone done either of these??
Of course I would love to do the intergrated course at Oxford. But I don't have the money (like most of us!!). I just wondered if anyone had some unbiased advice and recommendations on the best way to undertake the ATPL course.

Help please!

thefridge
30th Jan 2001, 16:54
Hi Sam_Flying

As alway a difficult decsion to make.

It depends a little on the time scale. I took 14 months on the distance learning course using PPSC, whilst working full time and studying in the evening and weekends.

I then then went to the states to hours build. Followed that with the flying course at TG Aviation at Manston airport.

However the first course of action I took when I decided to go for the course was to get a class 1 medical at Gatwick. If I could not pass this (and at the age of 50 that was always a possibility) then the rest was a waste of time and money.

For me this system worked, as I managed to get through and am now a part time flying instructor. You can only go for what is right for you. (hope this helps)

Good Luck with the descion.

EX FTE
30th Jan 2001, 17:40
PPL Pointer 1: You do NOT need to convert your FAA PPL to a JAA PPL if you plan to go on to your JAA CPL/IR. As an ICAO PPL it is valid but will be restricted to day VFR within the FIR. Save some cash where you can!!

PPL Pointer 2: You could do a JAA course in the USA and therefore could ignore point 1 anyway.

ATPL Distance Learning: It is hard! Motivation is the biggest problem. Yes everyone is motivated to be a pilot but you need to also pick up the books regularly!! I am just about to sit the 2nd set of 7 exams next month. It has taken me 7months full time to get to this point (I stopped work for the course). I have worked 10years in aircraft Flight Test and that helped a lot. I can see it being a steeper learning curve for others. (Not boasting; just saying)

General: This is a costly and time consuming venture. If you are going to go at it full time and finish ASAP then fine. If you intend to pace it over a few years so that you hours build, work and study in parallel expect it to be tough!! BUT good luck!

See you in the crew room one day!