PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Q's

ohboy
17th Nov 2002, 02:54
Hi every one,

Which is the best form of studying ATPL, self study or full time course?

I love to hear from anyone who has done it both.

Thanks.....:)

Aussiebert
17th Nov 2002, 07:38
Depends on the individual much like any other study... I've only done one subject so far, and i'm glad i went for the classes (flight planning)

I reckon go for whatever has worked best for you in the past

kez
18th Nov 2002, 03:47
I've not completed all the subjects yet, but was advised by my instructor to do a course for at least Flight Planning and Systems.
So I did a course for Planning, Systems, Nav & PerfLoad, and have self studied Met & HumanF.
This worked for me. Just LAW left to do, by self study.
Cheers:)

bboy
18th Nov 2002, 05:11
Self study worked for me.

Passed them all first go fortunately.

Whether you do a course or not IMHO does'nt matter. You have to put in the hard yards. I studied my a&se off and went well.

Good luck.

Rubber Chicken
19th Nov 2002, 21:37
Do a full time course if you can get the time off. It's all over in 4 weeks. Self study can take a hell of a lot longer unless you do it full time at home but there can be too many interuptions and distractions. I can't say I know of anyone who has not been through Natan Higgins on the sunshine coast. Everyone I know has passed first time round and all are now flying at least a 737.

damaged goods
24th Nov 2002, 15:28
The other thing you have to consider is wether you wanna learn anything or you just wanto pass the exams?............ Nathan higgins is good to pass as he teaches you how to pass........ not necessarily a good thing if u forget it:eek:

Chief Wiggam
26th Nov 2002, 03:20
Have to partially agree with DG. 5 & a bit weeks for NH's course is pretty full on, especially with learning systems. But sh$%. It does the job quite nicely.

After doing all the exams I am now convinced that CASA knows little on how to examine a candidate's knowledge of a subject.

It comes down to Understanding the FQ, not RTFQ.

A lot of questions just appear to trip you up and not test a knowledge of anything but the alphabet.

Here is a quick example from my systems exam.

- (You have 4 pictures in your work booklet labelled A B C D )

The answer was quite obvious, but here is how the online choices appeared -

A B
B D
C A
D C

I mean COME ON!

At least we get to do flight planning on the 727 :rolleyes:

My personal opinion is to do the NH course (fulltime for the 4 hardies if can) for all subjects to get over the CASA hurdle. Read widely after to fill in the gaps and your interest.

Hope this helps

Ash767
28th Nov 2002, 08:09
ohboy

If you want to do your ATPL go to AFT ( Nathan Higgins) it is worth the time and money.

Chief Wiggam is quite correct, Nathan teaches you how to pass CASA's conundrums.

Ash767

Aussiebert
28th Nov 2002, 09:18
since this is a rumour network...

i've heard rumours NH is a bit of a consultant on the side... writing exam questions for casa

Ash767
28th Nov 2002, 15:05
Hmmm

I would be very surprised if that rumour is true.