PDA

View Full Version : working in the States

wannabeAirCrew
17th Nov 2002, 00:31
Hello.
I'm new to PPRuNe and I friend of mine who has been a member of this forum suggested that I post this question of mine here. So here goes...

I used to live in the States (NY) many years ago. My family lived there while my parents were on a diplomatic visa. The plan was to live and work there for many years. Since I was coming up to the legal working age, my parents applied for and received Social Security Numbers for my siblings and I. After a few years, we moved to Canada and became Canadian citizens. I would like to ask if anybody knows whether I am allowed to work in the States as a regional or major airline pilot on the basis of myself having a Social Security Number?

Sorry for the longer than needed post but I wanted to give the background for my question. By the way, I have a Canadian ATPL, almost 2000 hours, 600 multi, and 150 turbine (FO) time.

Thanks for any help you can give.

neil armstrong
17th Nov 2002, 01:53
I've got a Social Security Numbers and was kicked out of the country because of visa problems.
no visa or greencard ,no work (i think, Sorry)

Neil

Bubbette
17th Nov 2002, 05:02
Anyone can get a social security number. It's required for most investments, bank accounts, etc. It has nothing to do with work status. As stated, you still need the proper visa.

Fenchy
18th Nov 2002, 14:59
The above post is right , having a SS# doesn't allow you to reside in the US, the timing is bad and I would reconsider coming in the US to try to find a pilot job with all the US pilot on furlough.
At this time the hiring airlines have two piles of resume US and non US even if it is forbiden.

moku
18th Nov 2002, 16:41
All the above is correct.

Like Neil, I was living and working in the US. I was there for 7 years legally until after 9/11, then the INS stepped in and put a stop to that. They indicated to my immigration lawyer that it was only because I was a pilot flying for a US airline.
No perm Residency....No job with US airlines.

viking737
2nd Dec 2002, 23:13
Moku,
which airline did you fly for?

moku
3rd Dec 2002, 17:23
To be fair to the airline involved I am not going to name them in a public forum.

jwhite
9th Dec 2002, 02:31
Moku,

Are you Canadian and did you get a H-1B Visa? Did you graduate from a US unversity?

texan flyer
21st Dec 2002, 00:22
Social Security Cards given to those lawfully admitted in the States for a short period of time will say "not valid for employment" or "valid for work with INS authorization only" in the case of people under temporary work programs such as H1 or J1 visa.

wannabeAirCrew
22nd Dec 2002, 01:59
Thanks for all the replies.
Texan Flyer, where does it say "not valid for employment" or "valid for work with INS authorization only"? Somebody once told me about that and I checked out my card and it doesn't say that at all. I'll check again though.
I agree that the timing is bad but it's something I'm considering for the future.

Cheers

mattpilot
22nd Dec 2002, 18:47
On my card it says "Valid for Work only with INS authorization"

Its right above the SS# itself. Can't miss it. If it doesn't say that, technically you could apply for a job and no one would notice - unless someone does a serious background check on you and notices that you do not have any other roots in the US. If cought, you won't be able to enter the US for at least 5 years.

weasil
24th Dec 2002, 17:48
Regardless of what is written on your social security card you still have to show proof of eligibility to be employed, even US citizens have to do this. Your employer is supposed to see a copy of a valid work permit or employment authorisation card.

Now is NOT a good time to try to get around these rules, the INS is making a habit of holding people indefinitely in detention if they are caught breaking the rules.

BritishGuy
25th Dec 2002, 20:35
Ok, I have a US Green Card, and a US SSN, am a British Citizen (with a UK Passport).....and currently live London. Am born and bred British, but with the Green Card and SSN (Ok, ok, you get the picture).......now, can I freely apply for a US airline job and get accepted legally with all the restrictions??

I have 300hrs, FAA Multi/Comm/Inst.

Fenchy
26th Dec 2002, 00:57
Do you really think you will get hired in an airline with 300 hrs ???

superchicken
26th Dec 2002, 07:34
Good luck on that. Most regionals are hiring with more like 2000 hours right now, and paying beans to their employees.

weasil
26th Dec 2002, 16:49
You will have a hard time finding a job as a flight instructor in the US right now with only 300hrs. I have resumes coming across my desk from guys with over 1500hrs TT and 1000hrs dual given, who can't find work.

You gotta know someone.

I suggest you read the topic called "foreign nationals flying in the USA"

slim_slag
26th Dec 2002, 17:15
The SS Cards with the endorsement starting coming out in around 1992. To get a job in the US, you need to fill out an I-9 and provide documents to the employer proving you have eligibility to work. A photo id (drivers licence) and SS Card other than a card stating it is not valid for employment is all you need.

So if your card was issued prior to 1992, and you have a US drivers licence, but no legal right to work, you still have all the documents you need to satisfy your employer you can work in the US. If you have the above, no work permit or employment authorisation card is needed, even if you have a British Accent.

Of course if you break the law they will totally shaft you, and its not something you should consider. The above is purely said out of academic interest.

BritishGuy

If you live in London you need to be careful you don't lose your Green card. You need to prove intent to permanently reside in the US, if you don't they will take it off you, even if you were out for only 1 week. Your green card is only valid for readmission for 12 months.

Don't mess with the INS, they don't have the power to issue waivers anymore, if they catch you they will hold you until they feel like letting you go, and will deport you and ban you for up to ten years.

Bubbette
26th Dec 2002, 18:37
Slim, most corporate employers that I know of realize that even an unstamped social security card is not proof of eligibility to work in the US.

MCT
8th Jan 2003, 04:36
Does anyone know if you can obtain a residency visa for the USA, which would allow a person to reside greater than 183 days. Not permitted to work in the US. Work in Canada live across the border.... Pay US tax etc...

slim_slag
9th Jan 2003, 05:19
Slim, most corporate employers that I know of realize that even an unstamped social security card is not proof of eligibility to work in the US.

Not on its own it isn't, but combined with photo id like a state driving licence it's all you need.